Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

835 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 5, 2010 9:07 PM by dfitz*
SteveCruickshank Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 4, 2010 1:13 PM

Running a snowshoe race

Is it possible and acceptable to run in a snowshoe race using regular trail shoes and spikes? If the trails are not yet packed down from previous use, will the lead snow shoers pack it down enough so that I'm not running on powder.

I do have experience running on pack snow and ice with yaktrak/etc., but don't want to race thru powder, which we now have on Boston. I'm thinking of the Olde Salem Greene snow shoe race on Sat Jan 9th.

Thanks,

Steve

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 5, 2010 9:07 PM (in response to SteveCruickshank)
    Re: Running a snowshoe race

I don't know the answer to this for sure, but I would think a snowshoe race would have to be run in snowshoes! I've never entered one, but I've seen a couple of applications for races that mention the minimum size (sq, in.) for the snowshoes, which implies to me they're a requirement. Better check with the race organizers. I imagine it would be frowned upon by the competitors, like someone showing up for a road race wearing rollerblades. But again, this is sort of a guess on my part.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points