Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3760 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2010 9:10 PM by VinsinAZ
VinsinAZ Amateur 8 posts since
Dec 21, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 6, 2010 6:55 AM

Pre-race day - Dinner & Breakfast suggestions...

Am running my very 1st half marathon in about 10 days time from now. Seeking some guidance on what dinner / meal to intake the previous night?

Also, do you suggest some breakfast for a race that starts at 8:30AM?

I will be carrying some Gu's with me...... & will have my camelback pack (a very small one) with me so that I do not have to stop n' drink - rather am the king of my own hydration ;-))

Welcome any suggestions on meals or during race Gu consumption to get the best results ??

Cheers, V

• runtothefinish Expert 39 posts since
    Dec 8, 2008
    1. Jan 8, 2010 5:43 AM (in response to VinsinAZ)
    Re: Pre-race day - Dinner & Breakfast suggestions...

I think the biggest thing that everyone will tell you is eat what you've been eating.  What were you eating prior to long runs?  You don't need any major carbo loading for a half so don't feel overly compellled to sit down to a huge pasta dinner.

Keep the meal low in fiber

Make sure it's not a huge heavy meal

Eat foods that you are used to

More importantly is make sure the day before you are drinking water like crazy! Good luck on your first

RunToTheFinish.com

sig copy.jpg

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    3. Jan 8, 2010 12:16 PM (in response to VinsinAZ)

Good Luck!  As far as your training.....  I would slash my mileage in 1/2 but run at the same intensity.

I would also take it easy on the squats.  I usually get sorest 48 hours after strength training and you don't need that.

• runtothefinish Expert 39 posts since
    Dec 8, 2008
    4. Jan 8, 2010 12:27 PM (in response to VinsinAZ)

I do think your mileage for the week is a little high if you are truly hope to "race"...meaning give it 100% rather than using this 1/2 as a say a training run for a full.

It's really hard for us to drop back, but you should probably cut the 8 miler to 4 with some intervals and the 6 to 3 with some intervals.  I would also be wary of the squats, you are looking for fresh legs that are ready to rock so beyond the runs you need to cut out weights etc on race week.  At least this is the best advice I have heard in all my running!

RunToTheFinish.com

sig copy.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...