Skip navigation

3542 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2010 12:39 PM by KIKat RSS
Hound_Dog Amateur 27 posts since
Nov 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 6, 2010 1:29 PM

What happens AFTER the race?

As a new triathlete, I'm still getting used to the way things work at the fun runs and events.  So far, I've only run in two 5K runs, but it was so cold afterward (28deg) that I didn't stick around to find out what happens.  I usually just cross the line, check my watch, grab my coat & shivering wife (thanks, hon) and drive home.  What am I missing?  I'll find my race results online a couple of weeks later, but I often wonder if I should have stuck around for a group hug or something.

Now, I'm registered for the McKinney Kiwanis Triathlon (sprint), and I really want to make sure that don't forget something and get disqualified.  What should I do when I cross the line?

Thanks,

Alexander

• Tri 2 Do It Pro 84 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    1. Jan 6, 2010 2:20 PM (in response to Hound_Dog)
    Re: What happens AFTER the race?

After you finish your event...

- Get something to drink and eat so you can start to recover.

- Walk around at the post-race festival so you can look at the offerings and grab some goodies.

- Strike up a conversation with a fellow triathlete and share your race experiences.

- Look for the results postings and see your official time and where you placed.

- Watch the awards ceremony for the overall and age group winners.

- Take a photo with anyone you trained with and also participated.

When you're done, go back to the transition area and gather up your stuff.

• KIKat Expert 27 posts since
    Sep 18, 2009
    2. Jan 8, 2010 12:40 PM (in response to Tri 2 Do It)

If you say you can't, you're right.

Twitter - KIKat1029

• Amigold Legend 187 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    3. Jan 6, 2010 2:55 PM (in response to Hound_Dog)

1.  Kiss your spouse and thank them for supporting you. If you don't have a spouse, find someone else to kiss.  A stranger will certainly add to the day's excitement.

2.  Locate your gear and pack it up enough so you won't be wandering around in a daze looking for it later. Trust me, the post race daze will hit you.  You will forget where you parked, and possibly even your name.

3.  Drink beer, eat snacks, wave your medal, take photos.  Stretch a little.

4.  Clap and cheer for those who are coming into the finish line after you. They really do appreciate it.  Congratulate everyone, and thank the volunteers twice.

5.  Use spit to try and remove the numbers on your legs and arms, and then realize that spit is not going to do it.

6.  Text everyone you know about your accomplishment. If you have a camera on your phone, send them a photo of you at the finish line.  You are permitted to be annoying for at least an hour after you are done.

That should keep you busy and having fun until they post results, or run out of food, whichever comes first!

Terry

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    4. Jan 6, 2010 3:25 PM (in response to Hound_Dog)

1) Thank the lord for not taking you in the swim

2) Try to remember your time

3) Thank the lord you didnt throw up on the run

4) Eat some carbs, banana, gator

5) Check out the honey's and stretch...dogs will be dogs

• DSchiemel Pro 45 posts since
    Nov 24, 2008
    5. Jan 7, 2010 5:50 AM (in response to Hound_Dog)

I don't think its possible to explain it better than to-your-left or Amigold . One thing I forgot to do at my first event was to turn my personal timer on my watch off, so I walked around for a while before realizing it and totally screwed up my time and lost the data. I wasn't able to upload the race data from the watch's memory onto Garmin's website which logs everything from heart rate, to speed on the bike (310xt great device) just don't forget to hit stop at the finish line!!!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jan 7, 2010 6:57 AM (in response to Hound_Dog)

after my first race. first thing was I said I'm never doing that again.  then i grinned like an idiot at the accomplishment and cheered the remaining finishers.  I drank and ate like a fiend and as i slowly began to gather my stuff to head home I started to devise a plan on how I'd be faster for the next one.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    8. Jan 7, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to Hound_Dog)

Great question!! & great suggestions already listed.

- hit stop on your watch & turn in your chip

- stop, SMILE & celebrate! look around, breathe deeply, & remember that finish moment. *take a picture!

- wander around while bringing your body back to a tired, but happy state

- gather up your gear & chat with anyone nearby

- watch some of the slower finishers cross the line -- it's an emotionally addicting experience

- be grateful for the experience, ability & luxury of becoming/being a triathlete!

Good conversation guys!

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• KIKat Expert 27 posts since
    Sep 18, 2009
    9. Jan 8, 2010 12:39 PM (in response to DSchiemel)

If you say you can't, you're right.

Twitter - KIKat1029

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points