Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1679 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2010 11:23 AM by runmamagirl RSS
runmamagirl Amateur 16 posts since
Jan 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 6, 2010 11:57 PM

How much pain is too much

Ok, I am finishing up the C25K tomorrow. So excited! I have run before and usually by this point I would have had a totally swollen ankle and would have had to give it up because I can barely walk. But with this plan I am pain free - this is the first time I have gone out and run with a plan and not got ahead of myself.

What I am wondering is, how much pain is too much after a run? I read somewhere that you should allow your body 24-36 hours for  recovery. I'm not really in pain, such that I can't walk or anything, but I am sore-ish in my legs (probably not enough stretching - I am going to have to change that in 2010) but usually by the next day it is gone. I only run 3 times a week at the moment, but have never gone into a run in pain or finished one in pain. Is that about right? Just need to check, cause I have a huuuuge pain threshold that can sometimes get me into trouble cause I push to hard...

I'm trying to sweat everyday for 2010...even if its just in a sauna some days

Upcoming Events for 2010:

The Star City to Surf 12K Run : March 21, PB 1:18:25

Hanmer Springs Half Marathon : May 1

SBS 30th Anniversary Half Marathon : June 6

• jenster! Legend 295 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    1. Jan 7, 2010 7:07 AM (in response to runmamagirl)
    Re: How much pain is too much

I'm sure the more experienced peeps will chime in with better advice.

What's popping into my head is: What are you doing to refuel? After a long or hard workout, I always need to get some carbs and some protein into those muscles. My cycling instructor (who's a exercise physiologist) always tells us to get carbs in within 30 min and protein within an hour of a 90+ min class. If I dont, I will def be walk more sore....to the point where it effects how I walk.

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

-Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

My Blog  |  Althlinks Profile

Fall Schedule:

9/17 Asheville Half

10/16 Nike Women's Marathon

11/20 Philly Marathon

• darinhercules Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    2. Jan 7, 2010 7:25 AM (in response to runmamagirl)

First, recovery time has little to do with pain.  When we exercise strenuously -whether running, resistance training, or even a task such as heavy gardening- muscle fibers are damaged and need to be repaired.  Most of the damaged muscle fibers from running are the type that heal quickly.  Hence the recommendation to rest about 24 hours after a strenuous run.  This varies by a person's conditioning.

Secondly, pain is seldom a good thing when exercising.  If you are experiencing regular soreness, you should analyze why.

Proper stretching after a run -and self-myofacial release later that day- will help your muscles heal and recover.  As will properly fueling your body for recovery.  Consuming complex carbs and healthy proteins quickly after your run is vital.  This can be a recovery drink or a real food such as an apple and peanut butter.

So finish your run by properly cooling down and stretching.  Then take in calories.  (a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein is ideal).

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Jan 7, 2010 7:28 AM (in response to runmamagirl)

Mamagirl,

Congrats on finishing c25k you should be very proud of yourself. to me soreness is a part of the game i play when i run, it seems like im also sore. Jen was right about eating protein afterwards it helps rebuild muscle tissue. I also eat alot of  potassium also after running it also helps in curving the soreness, plus stretching after being easy on the muscles and not yanking them. The more running you do the soreness will lesson, but when you push yourself you will be sore thats just the nature of the beast.....

Hopefully you have been training enough and listening to your body to understand the difference between pain and soreness, because there is a difference.

When sore do it more.......

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/potassium-rich-foods-list-of-foods-high-in-potassium.html

Congrats and goodluck,

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points