Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

937 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 7, 2010 7:58 PM by dfitz* RSS
jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
Jan 9, 2001
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 7, 2010 4:17 PM

Quick Training Question...

I have done the C25K multiple times and love it.  I know there used to be a program where you started to increase your running to 4 days a week.  Does anybody remember that one, or know of one?  I want to either do that one or do some 10K training.  Not sure if I'll do the Galloway or the Higdon method...or the One Hour Runner.  Just not sure yet.  The running bug has bitten me again and I'm wondering if I want to add another day to the program.

FYI, my next run is the big 25 min run.  I'm just trying to plan what my next move will be.

Thanks All!

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 7, 2010 7:58 PM (in response to jcrule)
    Re: Quick Training Question...

I'd say the question is, are you training FOR something, or do you just want to run 4 days/wk? If the latter, then just do what most of us do, and run 4 days or 5 days, or whatever you like. Be careful not to increase your mileage too quickly, though. A lot of us probably base our individual runs/workouts loosely on training programs (some days being a long slow run, some being speedwork or hill repeats, some being "tempo" or medium-hard runs, etc.) but you don't absolutely have to follow a program. If you've done the 5k program many times, a 10k program certainly could be your next step, if you want to follow a specific program. But don't get too hung up on there being a magic formula for running once you've built up the fitness for it. Keep in mind that C25K is designed for people going from basically a sedentary lifestyle to running. If you love running, just do it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...