Skip navigation

51445 Views 402 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2010 12:19 PM by ruddygirl RSS Go to original post 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 27 Previous Next
  • Miranda5 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 19, 2010

Although you cannot control the weather, it was perfect! Along the course it even sprinkled a little bit. It was like someone spraying a fine mist to cool you off. The course changed a little over the last couple of years. I love it! You know one of my favorite parts? Running the freeway. I know, weird, right? But it makes me feel empowered to run where cars move at such fast speeds. I would absolutely do the race again. However, organizers listen up! This is the first year that I did not go to a club tent to put my things down for safekeeping. The bag you gave me broke. I can't believe I had to stand in line after just running 13.1 (which by the way, my GPS system said 13.29) to cross a bridge to get to the other side to pick up my things. Just to wait in line there. I actually had to help the volunteer look for my 1 in 20,000 bags. And for some reason, tables were turned on their sides so I had to step over it. Have you ever tried to bend down or lift your legs after a marathon? I did PR for my first half as I usually run fulls which was great but I say that to say that I finished the race in under two hours but it took me four hours to get out of there!..making my family late for another engagement. Suggestion ICB: Some races I've been to have you put your things in a truck that gets moved during the race to the finishing side of the race. Try it, we might like it. 5 on the course, 2 for after finish

• A&A Corvette Rookie 1 posts since
    May 8, 2010

This was my first half marathon and a great experience.  The course was beautiful, the weather was great and the people were nice.  I stayed at the Hyatt on Saturday night so didn't have to deal with any of the morning congestion.  The facebook link didn't work for me but my family got text updates on my progress which was great.  I didn't check baggage so can't comment on that.  Loved the race stats from yesterday!  Would definately recommend this race.  I couldn't have asked for a better experience!!!

• MLA17 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010

This was my first Bike Tour. I fell in love with the course and everything about this Bike Tour. I think I'm hooked. I plan on signing up again for next year.  Since the Bike Tour started at 6am, we didn't encouter as much trouble as I read the runners did. It was easier for me to have all my things with me.  I think the volunteers did an excellent job in motiviating everyone. Although one thing, some of the water stations didn't hand out water to the Cyclists and that sucked because I didn't have water with me and at many times was eager for a drink.  So hopefully next year, all the water stations will hand out water to everyone. Overall, the weather was great, the people were great and the views were great.  I was very happy.

• absolutben Rookie 1 posts since
    May 4, 2010

The first thing I want to say is I had a great tome at the race and I will definitely be back. The course was fantastic and the volunteers were (for the most part) helpful and friendly. I went to the carbo load dinner on the Queen Mary and that was fantastic as well. No only was the food just what I needed but I ended up sitting next to people I didn;t know and struck up a conversation with them which was great. Race day started off great though I did have to stand in a bit of a line to check my bag and use the restroom but honestly that's to be expected so I'm not marking down points for that. The first problem arose when I want from the bag check area to where the runners where waiting. I had signed up for wave 1 but couldn't make it up there because because there were too many people and I didn'want to shove my way through. I understand the need to fence off the starting area but it would be nice to have an inlet for people who just want to get to their wave. I also didn't mark off for that since I could have solved the problem myself by getting there earlier than I did so I consider that to be partially my fault. The actual race running was great, it was awesome to see so many people on the sidelines cheering us on and the water stations were just about perfect. I also give top marks for the volunteers waiting after the race to hand out waters and blankets and medals. All very nice, all very friendly. My one problem is with the bag retrieval, which seems to be a common theme in the comments. It took me over 45 minutes to find my bag and only then was it found by chance. It was nowhere near where it was supposed to be and I only found it because my girlfriend heppened to glance over and notice part of her sweater peeking out of the bag. I felt really bad for the volunteer who frantically looked for my bag for over 30 minutes and looked like she was going to cry. I ran the SF marathon and their bag check and retrieval was simple and efficient and took less than 5 minutes to find my bag. This is the only real problem I had with the LB marathon and is the one thing that absolutely needs to be fixed. Other than that it was a great race and I had a fantastic time. Oh, on a side note I will say my gps indicated I actually ran about 13.28 miles instead of 13.1. I see by the comments that other people noticed the same issue so I'm not sure what's going on there. 4 stars!

• kundaliniprincess Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 12, 2007

the event was awesome! very well organized, the course is great and the people are awesome.

I loved the kids' band "Dirty Paint''--- hope they are there again for lots of other events. their music lifted up my spirits. thank you!!

silvia cardona

• Droape Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 1, 2010

The course was well organized and course support was very good.

The end of the race kind of ruined it for me however. After not getting handed a water at the finish line (I must have missed it because I saw everyone else with one) I was unable to get free water...anywhere! I figured there must be some when they gave out the food bags, nope, ahhh, here's some, right? Nope, choclate milk. They must be giving out water from a booth, nope, gotta buy one. First aid station, "excuse me, do you have any water?", reply "no", what the hell are you here for, to give advice? I had to basically freak out at the food bag supervisor in order for her to lift up her tarp and give me a bottle of water, then I had to steal one from someone's picnic area later (sorry!). No gatorade, no readily available water and the ridiculous line to get accross the death bridge put a huge dent in what was a really fun race before hand. I was ready to blast any event organizer I could find, but they must have been hiding.

Great run, horrible organization the finish.

• KMPitchingCoach Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    321. Oct 19, 2010 10:39 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Long Beach International City Bank Marathon Reviews

This is my 2nd year that I have particapated in the Long Beach Marathon. Last year I ran the half and I wasn't too thrilled seeing that most of the places we ran I've been before so this year I changed it up and went for the bike marathon. I have been following the race as they introduced new things (shirts, medals, etc) I was dissapointed to see at the expo that the bike tour just got a boring old tshirt and not one of the cool recycled grey ones. Even with I enjoyed the bike till the half way point where another biker hit me and I crashed not Long Beach's fault by any means however I think this soured the rest for me. I was dissapointed in the finishers food for the bike they gave us one half of an apple and tiny banana! nothing else not what i expected seeing that last year we had sooo much food i couldn't carry it all and was grateful they gave us a bag lol. This year the finishes party was disspointing as well too packed and only having one way in and one way out was a terrible it reminded me of my least favorite race of the year san diego rock and roll horrible. I enjoy the finishing parties if there is room to move around this was insane never even made it to see anything also never had a chance to buy gear after as i usually do it was just too crowded to move let alone look for anything. I maybe soured because of the crash but I was super thrilled with long beach again. I'm starting to think the race just hates me with injuries and may not be back unless they change the CA dreaming series and there is a new medal to go for. If not I may just let Long Beach die for me in 2010.

• Shell2222 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2010
    322. Oct 19, 2010 11:11 AM (in response to Guest )

My third half marathon. The weather was great, volunteers I vow in their presence.

I'm going to start with traffic congestion, it is getting worse. we either need altenative roads or signal lights needs to stay longer for incomming traffic. Shirts for big guys like my husband needs XXX and maybe shirts style for woman. And why do you address every one as a runner I'm a walker and I pay the same fee.Toilets you are very proud of how you have grown to 25,000.00 participants let's get more toilets..and make sure there is toilet paper. I agree more music and the finish line to congested exit needs to be marked.  I'm not sure if I'll be back

• LianaV Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2010
    323. Oct 19, 2010 11:27 AM (in response to Guest )

This was the first time I ever participated in a 5K and for the most part I was thrilled and excited about everything that was offered to us. From easy race packet pick up to the start and finish of the event. After the race........... well, I'll give that part a 1! I had to wait in a very long line for about 30 minutes to cross over the bridge. As I was almost to the front of the line, an organizer came by announcing that we did not have to wait in line and proceeded to give instructions on how to cross via a different route. Not cool when you've been waiting in line for over 30 minutes. Then after crossing the bridge, I had to wait in another line to retrieve my bag from baggage claim! Another line, are you kidding me?  So I finally get to the front of the line after an hours wait, just to find that it's total kaos! There are volunteers standing around looking dumb-founded, no one is helping. After what seemed like another 15 minutes or so, people started pushing their way through and retrieving their own bags. Then an organizer starts to yell and cuss at everyone and finally people had it and it was a free for all.  I was glad to have found my bag in a fairly quick time, however, we forfeited my sister's bag with her sweater in it as all we wanted was to get home! I will definitely be back next year, minus the bag checking. 

• Krystiv Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2010
    324. Oct 19, 2010 11:45 AM (in response to Guest )

Well where do I start..first off the starting line was a joke. Waves, what waves, you couldn't even get to them, I got there in plenty of time and I was supposed to be in wave 2 and had to start from wave 6 and push and fight my way up to the front to try to get up to the appropriate wave which I hated doing, I know everyone wanted to be where they need to be and no one could get there, I barley go to where I need to be before the gun went off, who wants that kind of stress to start a race??? There was NO organization, NO staff helping direct people, it was a joke, people were jumping the fence because once you got in to head up to the start you were trapped, there was no way out...Second, the pacers were running to fast at times because they were making up the time from the gun, which is fine if it is only a few mins but they were having to make up 10 min or so, since it did start in waves they were coming across the finish line 5 to 7 mins ahead of the actual time they were supposed to which is hard for those who trained to run a specific pace, if they are counting on running with the pace groups to get their time, they actually at times were running well ahead of their pace, which we all know never has a good out come. Third, the computers where not working to post our times and I had traveled from out of town and my family that was waiting had NO idea how I was doing out there, I signed up for both the Facebook post and text post which they got nothing and they had me listed as running the half which I was not I was running the full plus trying to qualify for Boston..which brings me to Fourth, if I did not have a garmin on I would have had NO idea how I was doing out there, there was NO one calling out your time or any clocks whatsoever to tell you how you were doing not even at the split for the half.  What about those runners who don't run with a watch, how are they suppose to know, if they are not with a pacer how they are doing?????  The Fifth and final thing I have to say is that the baggage pick up was a joke at the end, they had just dumped a lot of the bags in a pile and people were waiting hours to get there bags when they were cold and tired, plus the finish was awful for spectators they couldn't see there loved ones cross or take a picture because you had them behind fences and part of the fences were covered so they couldn't even see....

I am very disappointed that a race that has been around for this long had sooo many issues. I traveled from Northern California and spend a lot of money on flight, hotel ,etc. to come and try to Qualify for Boston here and was very disappointed in the outcome. I am not blaming my not qualifying on the race in anyway, it just wasn't my day and I made my own stupid mistakes, but there were a lot of things that were unacceptable if you are going to be a Boston Qualifying race.

I do have to say the the spectator support was awesome, the town is there for you for all 26.2 miles and very supportive, you never feel alone at any time on the course. And the course is great, very few hills and the roads are okay a few places you had to watch your footing but other than that a very nice and flat course. If I was running a marathon for FUN this would be a great one, loved the town, expo, hotel, people, etc. But if I was going for time again they would have to get the starting line issue worked out and put at least some clocks out there at your 10k marker, split and 20.

• Trasker4 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    325. Oct 19, 2010 11:51 AM (in response to Guest )

I participated in the Bike Tour and had a great time. I have read many posts/reviews by others that had a less than positive experience but I did not experience any of those issues. Parking was easy (I did not prepay) and no traffic but this may be due to the fact I arrived at 430am for the 600a start of the ride. I did not use the bag check area. I was handed my medal, bag of food (full apple/banana) and water within 1 min of crossing the finish line but again there were significantly less cyclists than marathon participants (2500 vs 20k) coming through.

The course was well marked and easy to ride even though it was dark the first 30 min of the ride. Thanks to all the volunteers, spectators and residents for encouraging us riders as it does help. The final 100 yards down to the finish line should have had some warnings of traffic barriers as I came flying down with a number of other riders and we were all slowing and scrambling for position to navigate the barriers and that could have gone very bad. Ill be back to ride the event again.

• Franchesca1021 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2010
    326. Oct 19, 2010 12:17 PM (in response to Guest )

We had a corporate tent at the Finish Line Festival area.  Setting it up was easy (we were able to drive right onto the festival area, right next to our tent), but preparation the day of was almost impossible, for there was only one flimsy bridge that went from the parking lot to the festival area.  The traffic going over Shoreline Drive was crazy.  The bridge either needs to be larger, or there need to be more bridges! 

Some of the participants from our company were given incorrect directions to the festival area/starting line (they were sent way, way down west, towards the aquarium) and missed most of the festivity.  We were also given incorrect information from the organizers (for example, we were told the only way to register was to park in the $10 parking area, when the truth was that we could've easily parked by the festival area and walked; this was one of MANY inconsistent pieces of information we were given by the organizers).  That cost us a lot of time, heartache, and even $$!

That was a shame because the race itself was fun, and everyone that participated (that made it to the starting line without being given incorrect directions!), regardless of the event, had a great time.  In the future, we may participate in the race but will most likely not do the corporate event here.  It was a tough lesson to learn, but I guess we had to learn it one way or another...

• JJones1025 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2010
    327. Oct 19, 2010 12:48 PM (in response to Guest )

I had a wonderful at this event. It was me and my sister's first half marathon and we couldn't have had a better time. The support and encouragement from volunteers and people on the streets was amazing. I felt that the event was set up very well. We live in Sacramento and traveled down on Friday so that we could settle in and do some things around the town before we had the race on Sunday. We went to the aquarium (after purchasing the tickets online) then we find out after picking up our packets that there was a free aquarium admission included. It would have been so nice to know that ahead of time so that we didn't feel that we lost out on that amazing gift. For the future, it would have been nice if in the e-mail that was sent that said that we need to pick up our packets and free gift bag, that that would be included.... But overall we had an amazing time, the weather was perfect for the run and we definately want to do it again.

• Ruthie64 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    328. Oct 19, 2010 12:55 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first Half Marathon and I was very excited and a little nervous.  I loved the course and the volunteers and spectators were fantastic!!!  For those of you complaining about the Wave grids, try showing up on time and there is no problem getting in the correct Wave.  I had so many people rudely pushing people out of the way to get to their Wave, it became a bit annoying.  My only complaint was the inaccuracy of the Mile Markers.  My Garmin said 13.38 when I crossed the finish line.  Other than that, this was AWESOME!!!  Look forward to running it again next year.

• Got2BKiddinMe Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2010
    329. Oct 19, 2010 12:56 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first race.  I thought that the wave concept was a joke.  It was basically a free for all with no organization.  If you're going to claim waves then have a process in place for people to comply!  Next was the porta potty lines , , , good God!!  For 25000 can someone do the math!  Further they needed to a) have them more spread out b) have appropriate lines for them and c) have someone replenishing the TP.  It was so disgusting that I ended up dehydrated cuz I didn't want to have to use one on my run!  The course, volunteers, water stations, etc were awesome.  It is important for this to continue to be a spectator sport because that little clap or 'go girl' at a late mile gave me the encouragement I needed to get to the end.  And then the finish line.  Well that was just one big mass of people and I wasn't sure what to do or where to go after I passed the finish line.  There needs to be a lot more organization around that and a way for the runners to navigate out of the crowd.  All in all this being my first race, I'll do it again next year.  I just hope I have a place to pee without having to wait an hour and a clear place to start the run. 

1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 27 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...