Skip navigation

53955 Views 402 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2010 12:19 PM by ruddygirl RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27 Previous Next
  • h20willy Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Oct 18, 2010 11:01 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Long Beach International City Bank Marathon Reviews

I ran the 5K. This was my 1st time going to Long Beach. I have run several other 5K events. I really liked the way the course was laid out, not those long boring "straight out-straight back" type events. I also appreciate the timing chip as I am always working on a better finish time.

I have yet to locate the "results" for the 5K as I would like to see how I did in my "age bracket"?

Getting "out" of the event was a problem. The one and only footbridge was a long, long wait and a fiasco. I suggest alternate ways be provided next year.

I will return next year. Thank you to all the wonderful volunteers!!!

• RockyRolie Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    91. Oct 18, 2010 11:02 AM (in response to Guest )

Thought this was a great course, I ran the half marathon.  The weather turned out to be perfect because it was cool and overcast.  For the most part the course was very wide which allowed for the large amount of runner.  The announcer was great before/during/after the race.  There were a lot of port-a-potties at the start which was good, but it still took us 30 mins in line and we jumped in line at 6:30am.  There were plenty of port-a-potties on the course which is something I do always see in most races, that was a plus.

On the bad side, after the race and receiving our medals/food/drinks, there was a moment when the racers and the spectators collided, and it was horrible.  The specators wanted in and the racers wanted out.  At one moment I was stopped and jammed in between a bunch of people and couldn't move.  That's the last thing you want to do after a race, if have your legs stop.  Then your muscles get all tight.

And it was a bad idea to have baggage claim on the opposite side of where all the activies were.  It was very difficult to get back accross the street.  Why couldn't there be like a regular cross walk after the finish line?

The expo was a lot of fun, not impressed though with the vendors.  It was very tight and not a lot of walking room.  I did not like how they did the packet pick up.  You have to find your name and then you get your bib number by what race number you are.  Seems too difficult, or maybe previous races I've run have been more simple.  Then they give your your number and pins then you pick up your shirt and THEN you pick up your bag.  Wouldn't it make more sense to get the bag first to put all this stuff in?

Overall it was a great course/race experience and I would run it again.  Thanks LB!

Rocky

• Ron the Runner Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    92. Oct 18, 2010 11:05 AM (in response to Guest )

I have run a bunch of races, fulls, halfs (halves?!?), 10 and 5ks.  As with any race, there were pros and cons.

PROS:  Great volunteers, nice course, great weather!  Parking for me was great as I did the pre paid Lot # 2 through the City of Long Beach.  Every single run I've experienced (with the exception of Boston), parking is an absolute mess so I get there VERY early and nap in my car (yeah, right...like I can nap, good idea in theory).  I liked having that pre paid parking option.  Unlike some other reviews, I didn't find the expo to be a mad house (Saturday at about 11).  No expo is crammed like the SF Marathon...oh man, I was claustrophobic.

CONS:  That bag check was a disaster and I honestly felt bad for the volunteers who had to work it...and having it on the other side of the bridge of death was also a bad idea...if people had cash to spend on stuff it wasn't with them as they finished the race, it was in their checked bag.  No way anyone was going to cross over the bridge of no return...to return!  The lack of corrals was a poor idea.  Even the announcer dude was asking people to move over to the side to let people pass, and then asked people to not climb the fence.  I ended up in corral four but fortunately I was near the front of that one by pure dumb luck.  I ended up catching up to the end of corral three and there were people walking five and six abreast. I did my best Barry Sanders to pass.  While I definitely appreciate and admire those who walk the course, why not request in the pre race literature that the walkers go to a later corral?  As with Boston, the course is very narrow in parts and there are a lot of entrants.  Even by mile 6 or 7 when we got to the bike path along the sand, it was still jammed and slower runners made it difficult to pass...again, I am in no way knocking the slower runners, and I'm sure many people would include me in that group.  However, if the corrals were available/enforced to the degree they can be, most will abide by them and the traffic jams on the course would be lessened.

• kmochoa Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 18, 2009
    93. Oct 18, 2010 11:06 AM (in response to Guest )

I've run countless 5k races, but this is only my second marathon.  It is by far the best organized event I have ever run.  The fans and volunteers are awesome.  I have to give my thanks to the Clif Pace team runners, they were so supportive and led me to my best finish yet feeling great.  There were numerous and well staffed water stations, some with gel shots, as well as plenty of independent groups and running clubs handing out fruit, juice, and water.  There was even a group of people handing out mardi gras beads and the csulb campus was full of young adults offering cheers and high fives. The atmosphere, like most big running events, is so friendly and supportive.  Start waves were smooth and timely.  The course is flat nearly the entire way, with only a few gentle inclines, beachfront miles, and a great gradual downhill mile to the finish line. 

My only real complaint would be the traffic getting to the race morning of.  Because so many streets are closed off for the race and nearly 20,000 racers are arriving (not to mention all the volunteers, staff and fans), the few inlets to the convention center/arena are PACKED.  I spent probably 45 minutes going the last two miles into the event parking.  That being said, there are plenty of public transportation options I would be much more inclined to use next year. 

• DATR Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 22, 2010
    94. Oct 18, 2010 11:07 AM (in response to Guest )

Great race!!! Will definitely do it again! Nice course, with plenty of water stations along the way. The only downside is that at times the course would get narrow and walkers would stay in the middle or to the left. That can't always be helped I guess. All the volunteers and bands along the way were very cool.

I saw the reviews about the post-race event. We rode our bikes there so we didn't have to deal with the pedestrian bridge but it looked like a total nightmare! The little goodie bag they handed out was nice. Small but perfect for after race treats!

• alespejo Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 8, 2007
    95. Oct 18, 2010 11:10 AM (in response to Guest )

Loved the half-marathon course!  Thanks for the free massage afterwards, too!

I could not believe the bag-check area had a LONG line?!  One guy told us that he waited almost 2 hours -- ridiculous!  When we left, it still was not any better, although the line was smaller.  Crazy scene to see runners holding up their bibs up high, in hopes of picking up their bags sooner amidst all of the people doing the same thing. 

The long wait for the foot bridge was also ridiculous!  Why weren't these logistics figured out beforehand? 

• JKRM Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    96. Oct 18, 2010 11:11 AM (in response to Guest )

the view was amazing, the families, kids were awesome, cheers and entertainment throughout the race was incredible, the medal is absolutely beautiful, and water stations/power aid was good besides some of them were water down power aid...Thankful for the massage as well!!!!

On the other note--->

what a crowd!!! they should have organized it better, separate the marathoners and the half marathoners...the bikers should have been separated as well coz I almost got tip over by a biker on mile 12...Plus, no FOOD for the runners!!! I believe that we paid so much for this race and only get a banana, an apple and water for the post race...For a big race, event like this, they should have organize it better...

Plus, there were tons of people who took like 50 boxes of Little Ceasars Pizza and didn't even run a mile!!!! Shame on those people who were able to get their grub and didn't participate on the event besides selling their products!!!

PLS. PROVIDE FOOD, GATORADE, AND MORE WATER STATIONS AT THE POST RACE!!! WE DESERVE SOME GOOD FOOD AFTER A GOOD RACE and pls. DON'T let those people who take all the goodies when they didn't even run at all!!!!

• Don De Benedictis Amateur 15 posts since
    Mar 24, 2008
    97. Oct 18, 2010 11:11 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my third time on the half marathon. The best aspects:

- snack pack (blue bag) at the finish line was very convenient

- finisher medal is fabulous

- plenty of water and electrolytes on the course

- split times

The negatives:

- not much entertainment on the course

- the finish area was a problem. The runners were trapped behind a fence and could only escape through a gauntlet of non-participants.

• Los J Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    98. Oct 18, 2010 11:12 AM (in response to Guest )

COURSE: I ran the full marathon and I loved the whole course.

BAGGAGE CLAIM: I think baggage claim should be alphabetically organized to make it easier on the runners with the wait; the wait can really kill the enjoyment of the whole event, given that you don't need to be standing in place after a whole marathon. Also, it should be place on the side where you don't have to cross the bridge.

THE BRIDGE: The narrow bridge to cross to the other side was brutally plain punishment to the runners! After 26.2 miles running, going up a narrow bridge is painful. Whoever thought of this bridge should run the 26.2 miles first and see what is like to go up the narrow stairs. Hey what about technology? Maybe, you can start thinking about electric stair! It would be nicer, or am I dreaming too much?

The distribution of water and gatorade or powerade was great! Even better was the pain relieving spray, that was a run saver!

Overall, I think the staffing was great and helpful. I love to have great customer service. They all deserve a great recognition!

• i<3girls Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 9, 2010
    99. Oct 18, 2010 11:12 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first full marathon and I thought it was awesome! The course was fun, the volunteers were super energetic and supportive, I appreciated the hydration opportunities at every mile, and the fans were stoked. It was a really great experience for me and I plan on returning next year.

The only thing that got to me was the horrific scene at the baggage claim. It was absolute chaos and disarray and I was shocked at the level of  disorganization. By the time I got there it looked as though it had been mobbed by everyone participating in the race and I was afraid I wouldn't get my things back. The volunteers there did maintain amazing attitudes and after almost an hour I did get my bag so thank you to those who helped.

• jamsjeep Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    100. Oct 18, 2010 11:12 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall it was a great event, the only down side was trying to get to my appropriate wave for the start. The course was incredible(path along the beach could be wider). Plenty of water and gatorade stands. I plan on doing this one again.

• Jape Rookie 1 posts since
    May 31, 2008
    101. Oct 18, 2010 11:12 AM (in response to Guest )

Very fun and flat course w/ decent to great scenery and great crowd support.. it was my second time doing the half marathon, and I'll likely do it again next year.

Only complaint was the lines/waiting periods you had to go through post-run (pre-run for the portapotties).. in my opinion there weren't enough portapotties, baggage claim was a mess, and the line just to cross the bridge to get to baggage clame took forever.

But as for the run itself it was great and I highly recommend it.

• Dr.KK Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    102. Oct 18, 2010 11:13 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I enjoyed it! Beautiful course and fast!  Great water stations etc. 

I am very shocked that none of the reviews that I have read so far commented on how bad the Jet Blue bag check system was.  I understand that the intent was good.  However, it was so badly organized that we stood in line on achy legs and feet for TWO hours to angry rude bag workers - especially the security guard - to pick up our stuff.  I didn't get to any food, beer or celebrating with my support team and could NOT wait to get out of there because it took so much out of us at the end of the race just to pick up our car keys! It was literally on the verge of a mob scene and we were concerned about being trampled by all the angry people behind us.  Never will I check in a bag again!

Also, the actual race would have been better if the walkers would have walked to the right or somewhat segregated from the runners.  I had to dodge walkers almost the entire way and it was very frustrating when 2-4 walkers would walk shoulder to shoulder when there was no way to get around them!  Definitely could have run a better time and had a better overall experience if the path to run was smoother!

• Thectb Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 14, 2010
    103. Oct 18, 2010 11:14 AM (in response to Guest )

I ran the Half Marathon, it was my first.  I really enjoyed the race and the support staff were awesome, so were the crowds along the race.  The course was fast and beautiful the walkers WERE NOT A PROBLEM for me.  I ran a 1:56 Half (my first) and never encountered any walkers or runners who were not polite or courteous. I think the message was clear to the walkers and it went smooth.  Overall the "race" was awesome and I would do it again.

Area's for improvement:

More Powerade or Electrolyte drinks!!!!! 

They need better accessibility to fans with small children, my Wife was unable to cross the ONE Bridge to the other "Finishing Side" of the Marathon because they had no wheelchair/stroller accessibility.  The Huge line for the bridge cross was horrible.

Jet Blue WTF?  Are you kidding me?  I saw a catastrophe of a bag check and gave my Wife and Daughter a EXTRA HUGE KISS and HUG for keeping my stuff.  I feel bad for those who trusted Jet Blue and checked their gear...that was absolutely horrendous.  Shame on Jet Blue!!!

• Dr.KK Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    104. Oct 18, 2010 11:17 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I enjoyed it! Beautiful course and fast!  Great water stations etc. 

Problems: The Jet Blue bag check system was beyond ridiuclous.  I understand that the intent was good.  However, it was so badly organized that we stood in line on achy legs and feet for TWO hours to angry rude bag workers - especially the security guard - to pick up our stuff.  I didn't get to any food, beer or celebrating with my family and friends and could NOT wait to get out of there because it took so much out of us at the end of the race just to pick up our car keys! It was literally on the verge of a mob scene and we were concerned about being trampled by all the angry people behind us.  Never will I check in a bag again!

Also, the actual race would have been better if the walkers would have walked to the right or somewhat segregated from the runners.  I had to dodge walkers almost the entire way and it was very frustrating when 2-4 walkers would walk shoulder to shoulder when there was no way to get around them!  Definitely could have run a better time and had a better overall experience if the path to run was smoother!

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...