Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4499 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2010 9:59 PM by hawaiiansun RSS
hawaiiansun Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2010 1:28 PM

Jogging at 3.5 MPH?

I have been following the "couch to 5K plan", and can now jog non-stop for 30 minutes (I counted a total of 5,100 steps). I remember reading somewhere that it should be 10,000 steps. I noticed the plan is based on jogging 6 mph. If I jogged that fast, it'd throw me off the treadmill! The fastest I can go is 3.5 mph. I know for most people that is a slow walk! I have a VERY short stride, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I still reach my target heart rate and could say a 4 or 5 word sentence before I get out of breath (I know they say you should be able to carry on a conversation while exercising, but not too easily). Am I still getting a good workout? I feel like I am, but going so slow it seems so unlikely. Any ideas on how to get faster? I have to be careful because my knees dislocate so I have to wear knee braces. It is very frustrating! Anyone else have this problem?

• Monique 12 Amateur 30 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    1. Jan 13, 2010 4:54 PM (in response to hawaiiansun)
    Re: Jogging at 3.5 MPH?

When i first starting running I couldnt make it  around my block.  My husband said my face looked purple!   Then when I made it twice around the block without stopping I was elated.  Each accomplishment is something to celebrate.  Well all that started 15 years ago and now I have completed about 7 half marathons and numerous 5 and 10k's.

It takes a while to get into condition, but don't give up.  I believe that the beginning 3 months of running are the hardest.  My Dad (we was a runner for years) told me once that i had made it 3 months that i was offcially a runner and will continue it the rest of my life.  That was 15 years ago.

Once in a half marathon, I noticed all the front runners heading back.  I thought of how hard they are working, and then thought, wait a minute, they will be done way before me!  I think the people in the back of the pack work just as hard or not harder as they have to run so much longer.  So, don't think you are not getting a workout.  Your effort is just as great as that lead runner.  In time you will be going faster without much more effort as you get into condition.     Keep up the good work and enjoy!

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Jan 13, 2010 5:36 PM (in response to hawaiiansun)

you could have a short stride becuase you are afraid of falling off the treadmill and becuase you are going so slow - you have to have a short stride to job that slowly - or you just start walking - when I speed I the extra pace comes from a combination of turning my legs over a little faster - but mostly pushing off harder and taking longer strides.

You are going for 30 mins - that`s great - if you improve you form your pace will improve also - it may help you to try running outside somewhere flat

biking at a low resistance but high rmp also help increase your leg turnover

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jan 13, 2010 6:34 PM (in response to hawaiiansun)

I don't know where the 10,000 steps came from.  What is considered ideal is 180 to 190 strides per minute (counting both feet).  That's 5400 to 5700 strides in 30 minutes.  Many of us do maybe 160 to 170, which is 4800 to 5100 in 30 minutes.  So you're right in there.  Over time you will be able to run faster.  Keep at it!

Len

Len

• JillMezz Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 19, 2009
    4. Jan 13, 2010 6:51 PM (in response to hawaiiansun)

To go faster and conserve more energy, make sure you are landing on the middle of your feet when you come down and NOT your heel.  Landing on your heel jolts you forward, consumes more energy and slows you down.  Focus on landing in the middle and feel balanced when you come down on your feet.  Also, to gain speed while conserving energy, tilt your hips forward, realx your shoulders and arms and let your arms sway back and fourth naturallly.  Mechanics really is everything.  As soon as a trainer explained this to me, I began focusing on these techniques and I was amazed to see how much faster I could go at a much lower heart rate.

Good luck to you!

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    5. Jan 13, 2010 11:37 PM (in response to hawaiiansun)

When you say your knees dislocate...Hopefully your kneecaps aren't actually dislocating (slipping completely out of position) since that would be extremely painful and would make it impossible to run. More likely they may be subluxating (partial slippage). Appropriate knee braces or knee taping can certainly help, but strong quadriceps are one of the most effective ways to stabilize kneecap position in the long term. Depending on the cause of the instability and on your running biomechanics, you may also need stability or motion control shoes.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points