Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5964 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2010 1:29 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
Firsttimer2005 Rookie 6 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 12, 2010 3:58 AM

Broken Fibula

Five weeks ago I slipped and fell on ice breaking my lower leg.  Has anyone else recovered from this and has been able to run again.  I'm wondering how long it will be before I can start running again.  I still can't walk without my bootcast.  I've been going stir crazy and need to get out, but I need to make sure I don't over do it too soon.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. Jan 12, 2010 11:35 PM (in response to Firsttimer2005)
    Re: Broken Fibula

Here's an example of a professional athlete's recent experience: http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2009/04/15/triunfel_out_4_to_6_months.html

• ExperiencedRunner Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    3. Jan 20, 2010 11:43 PM (in response to Firsttimer2005)

once you get medical clearance, be prepared to start slow and not allow you enthusiasm to make you run too far too quickly.  Remember when you ran three houses then walked for two more than repeated (like we all did way back when at the beginning of our running careers).  That is exactly how you need to prepare to do...ease your way, very slowly and steadily back into the running mode..

Again, see it as I "ran today" even if it was two houses........

If you follow this idea well, you will do just fine in returning to running.....

It will be the hardest thing for you to do as any runner knows... heck it would hard for me to do...but that is what you have to do...

By the way...get some 1/2 inch sheet metal screws and attach them to the bottom of your shoes...this will prevent you from ever falling again...I just learned this idea from a fellow runner last week.  If you google sheet metal screws and the word running...there are countless articles further describing this idea....

I have done this  the bottom of my running shoes and have run on pure ice (across a footbridge) did not slip once.....

Good luck with your recovery and back to running again..

Jan 19, 2010
    5. Jan 31, 2010 7:27 PM (in response to Firsttimer2005)

Your love to running will pull you through and one day, you will begin anew.  Just to share some information about myself to put this into perspective: I ran one day, on a normal loop and when I was almost finished, I feel cold water running down my legs...but there was nothing there. One week later, I had severe, severe burning in my legs, this was followed by burning over my whole body. I took four months of medical tests to determined that I had Multiple Scrosis, which is a neurological disorder which attacks the nerves. I started taking very painful daily shots (feels like a bee sting) and medication as well. I lost almost 8 months of running before I started anew.  It took me about one year to get somewhat back to where I started....

But I am back to racing again....Because of my MS, I am no where near as fast as I once was, nor can I run long distances anymore...But I have found 5 k races and am planning on doing my third one in several weeks times.   I used to run for distance when I train, but now I just run for number of minutes. I have learned to just be thankful that I can run at all....My doctor tells me that most people with MS can not deal with the severe pain that is always there and refuse to exercise. I will never give up, and push forward....

I know that you will do the same.....one day you will write us all back and tell us that you are starting to run again....I know you look forward to that day...

Keep up your spirits......

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    7. Feb 2, 2010 6:01 AM (in response to Firsttimer2005)

It goes without saying ...load up on calcium, vit. D and find a  lap pool for "noload" walks/runs

Jan 19, 2010
    8. Feb 2, 2010 5:53 PM (in response to Firsttimer2005)

I do not see you as complaining at all. Running is a big part of each of our lives and when that is disruptive, it is very devastating to us.  You do not feel sorry for yourself just as much as I never felt sorry for my situation.  My point of sharing my story is to highlight how we each have inside of us the ability to overcome adversity.  From  time to time in life, we need to step back and pause.  In my situation, I had never stopped enough to reflect on the bigger picture on life and how my running fit into it.  Well with my serious physical illness, I was able to get that pause.  And now that I am back to runner, albiet in a slower, dimished capacity, I have never been so thankful.

You too will have the same experience......and it will be so rewarding......

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    10. Mar 22, 2010 1:29 AM (in response to Firsttimer2005)

Sorry to hear of your painful recovery. I broke both my fibula and  tibia in an accident when I was 18, and spent most of the next 6 months  in a cast. When I finally had a look at my leg, of less concern to me  than the bone was the incredible muscle atrophy that occurred during this  time off.

Even athletes without broken bones can  experience this phenomenon, when the body reabsorbs muscle tissue it  does not need because it is not being used. Another thing that happens  to unused muscle is a loss of "conditioning," leading to earlier fatigue  and longer recovery time. This includes Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness  (DOMS), which plagues many a newbie, adult athlete, or Weekend Warrior.  It probably becomes more of an issue with those recovering from a long  layoff after injury, like yourself.

Here's a fascinating  account of the different phases we go through when the body adapts our  muscles to stress. I hope it answers some of your questions better than I can...

http://lifeafterpain.com/info/general/post-exercise-soreness-a-surprising-facinating-process/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points