Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3058 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2010 5:12 PM by gardenpedal
kapfast Pro 53 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 12, 2010 7:59 AM

Body Imbalances

I thought this article by Jessi Stensland regarding body imbalances was really interesting.

http://community.active.com/blogs/jessistensland/2009/12/28/performance-pov-coincidence-i-think-not

Most of us have a dominent side to our body, and sometimes can cause injuries. What excercises or techniques do you use to help eliminate the imbalance?

I have been working on my balance and core muscles to help get more symetric - using one leg exercises, stability ball, foam rolling. Does anyone have other thoughts regarding a balanced body?

Thanks, Ken

http://trigratitude.blogspot.com/

• DSchiemel Pro 45 posts since
    Nov 24, 2008
    1. Jan 12, 2010 9:03 AM (in response to kapfast)
    Re: Body Imbalances

Check out the thread on "Agility Ladder" that is a good one I have implemented in my routine. I also like jumping on one leg over a small cone to various points surrounding it this helps my balance as you constant have to catch yourself. I like standing on one foot, then reaching across the body to touch the toes of the foot I am balancing on with the opposite hand then as I return to the upright position I jump in place and reach for the sky this throws my balance off and when I land I generally end up half squatting on that leg to catch myself. Planks are a great core exercise as well, make sure to do side planks and vary the time held in each position to build up additional strength. Participate in sports that are outside of the SBR routines, I like golf and the swing is great exercise for back, hip, and core muscles. Tennis, and racquet ball are the same for core strength the torque generated in order to swing really does wonders for my balance.

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    2. Jan 14, 2010 6:45 AM (in response to kapfast)

Hi Ken,

I liked Jessi's article too. It's fun looking at points like that & seeing how it impacts performance.

I rowed in college, one oar to one side - very unbalanced. For awhile, I walked with my head slightly tilted to the left.... not good. In the summer we'd do more sculling (2 oars) and it'd balance out a little, and of course the rowing machine, but yeah, it was an issue.

For balance: I like swimming, yoga and learning how my body is supposed to move. Jessi is actually giving her Movementu.com session in the Madison, WI area in March. So, I know I'll have some great ideas from that weekend. I'm really excited about it. http://www.movementu.com/

The other tool I like is the BOSU. I got one for my birthday this year. And the kids love it too, great for the winter blahs! I'm attaching a crazy picture of our middle son bouncing on it.

:-) Sara

Attachments:

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• gardenpedal Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    4. Jan 17, 2010 5:12 PM (in response to kapfast)

I was having a whole lot of trouble with balance.  Yoga helped because it strengthened my core.  But still I was just off a bit and I think it was because of a few broken collar and shoulder bones years ago.  I could never do the triangle poise in yoga and I was always a little off-kilter on my bike.  I just wasn't "centered."  Then my friend gave me a bracelet and, wow, I can totally do the triangle poise and I feel great.  I feel balanced and centered.  I know this sounds like a commercial, but it's not.  The bracelet from efxusa.com has some kind of hologram in it.  My yoga instructor says it is all in my mind, but okay, my mind thinks this has dramatically improved my balance. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points