Skip navigation

4046 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2010 5:52 PM by bretttanner171
piviter Rookie 4 posts since
Dec 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 12, 2010 11:13 PM

how to play better basketball?

I'm 12 in 7th grade, 5ft 11, and i get blocked and stripped like crazy, and i cant get good shots! so jus pass some experience plz!

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    1. Jan 13, 2010 4:33 AM (in response to piviter)
    Re: how to play better basketball?

You have plenty of time to become better, all you need is someone to teach you how to play the game and the right way to play the game. You need a very specific daily workout that incorporates drills catered to your needs. Every player is different and improves quicker on different parts of the game (ball handling, shooting.. etc)

To become a good basketball player it will take a lot of hard work and dedication because a lot of your peers around the country are working hard at it every single day - so to keep up with the pace, dedication must happen.

Feel free to shoot me an email as I would be happy to design a workout for you -dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Looking forward to working with you.

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

• XxibAllAlldAyxX Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 13, 2010
    2. Jan 13, 2010 8:00 PM (in response to piviter)

your physical appearance is very impressive for someone your age. ur in 7th grade and 5'11". im in 11th grade and im 5'10" lol. the most important thing u should know if u keep getting blocked is to pump fake. the best players in the nba pump fake ALL the time which means less chance of getting blocked and better chance of creating a better shot. once u recieve the ball from a teammate and u see a guy closing in on u, i suggest u pump fake and see his reaction. if it fails and he doesnt buy it, pump fake again. chances are that most players are looking to get blocks to make their image look good so they will eventually buy the pump fake and u can move out the way and get a better shot. u are still very young and growing. in a few more years, u will be blocking the other team like hakeem olajuwan swatting muggsy bogues. u have nothing to worry about later on but for now use that important fundamental and its bound to work. i guarantee it.

Jan 7, 2010
    3. Jan 14, 2010 4:39 AM (in response to piviter)

He makes a great point about "pump fakes" or shot fakes - if any young player develops an effective shot fake, he or she is ahead of the game!

A huge asset in your game!

Danny

• kbake915 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 16, 2010
    4. Jan 16, 2010 3:09 PM (in response to piviter)

iathlete is right but you need to get big, work out and develop your strenght while your young so when you get to higher levels you wont get stripped

get to the gym first, leave the gym last. get big.

• jumpman23 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010
    5. Jan 17, 2010 5:52 PM (in response to piviter)

As a player u should establish your inside game first use a wid arsenal of moves to better yourself and draw fouls off of those who try to block u and what ever u don dont get frustrated. Then that will alow u to start taking jumpm shots and getting your defender in the air to comitt to the foul. 

Jan 7, 2010
    7. Jan 22, 2010 5:29 AM (in response to piviter)

I can show you some great 1on1 moves out of the Triple Threat position that will get you past defenders and also can help with your shot. Happy to hear about you gaining some muscle!

Dan

Danny

• Duke Pryor Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 19, 2009
    8. Jan 22, 2010 10:13 AM (in response to piviter)

Repitition, Repitition, Repitition is what it will take to become a better player in the end. Practice is a must, but a good teacher is even better. You will have to seek and find a good instructor or coach in your local area that would like to help you out with some of the fundamentals of the game. I take it that you are a post player with your size and age. Young fellas I would encourage you to try and increase your strength by doing as many push-ups as you can within 1 minute every other day. In the meantime try to do a few sets of push ups everyday also. You can do some sit-ups as well.

If and when you are watching basketball on TV see if there is someone you like and can pick up some pointers from them in their game in the area of which you need hel in. See if you can try to do the same things. sometimes it is just like school, you have to study in order to do well on the test. Study and practice pays off on game day or test day. So approach it like it is your favorite class in school.

Any other question please reach out.

• bretttanner171 Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    9. Jan 25, 2010 5:52 PM (in response to piviter)

There are four main things which centres need to work on. Layups, post shots, rebounding and inside defense. Practise these and you'll be playing well in no time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points