Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2414 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2010 7:29 PM by dltang
Tigger087 Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 16, 2010 11:03 PM

Running Shoe Advice

I am having some problems with my feet that I think are causing knee and calf problems when I run.  I may just need to ask at a specialty shoe store, but I thought I might find some answers here first. 

I think the problems stem from my having flat feet and from my tendancy to walk toward the outsides of my feet.  I know my shoes need to be replaced, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on good insoles or on new shoes, much less specialized ones.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks! 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,412 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jan 17, 2010 7:14 AM (in response to Tigger087)
    Re: Running Shoe Advice

There are others here who can speak to this with more authority, but the two issues you list seem to be contradictory.  "Flat feet" are usually associated with overpronation, where the foot collapses too far inward as you run, and excess wear toward the inside edge of your shoes.  Walking/running on the outside edge of your feet is usually associated with supination (opposite of overpronation), high arches and feet that are relatively inflexible.  Being observed running by a knowledgable person at a good running store would be very helpful.  Look here http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-240-319-326-0,00.html at "Take the Wet Test" to get an idea of your foot type.  I'm sure you'll hear from others who can give you more information.

Len

Len

• runchichirun Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 16, 2010
    2. Jan 17, 2010 7:24 AM (in response to Tigger087)

I am relatively new at this also....off and on for a couple of years-  But i too have wicked flat feet (although i don't think i am a pronater).  Also I don't have a lot of funds.

Asics gels  seem to support my flat feet nicely.  I get them at DSW shoes for around 60-70$.    good luck!  and enjoy!

Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jan 17, 2010 8:05 AM (in response to runchichirun)

"Pronation" is a normal part of the stride, everybody does it.  It's mostly a matter of how much.  Look at the articles that discuss pronation at the link above.  Look at a pair of your shoes that have 200 or more miles on them.  If you overpronate, you will usually find excessive wear on the inside, front edge, to the side of the ball/big toe.  Compare it to the wear on the outside edge.

Len

Len

• runchichirun Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 16, 2010
    4. Jan 17, 2010 8:52 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

ooops, I am a pronator...and a biped(ha ha).   How often should one change shoes-how many miles?

Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jan 17, 2010 10:04 AM (in response to runchichirun)

You should be able to get 300 to 500 miles on a pair of shoes.  It varies depending on the shoe itself (some wear better than others) and how hard you are on your shoes.  If you wear through the outsole (black part) you probably should replace them.  If you start to experience new pains - ankle, shin, knee, hip, etc. - it's probably time for new shoes.  If they start to feel very hard, new shoes.  Keep an eye on the soles, and the miles, and listen to your body.

Len

Len

• ddanc1984 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 17, 2010
    6. Jan 17, 2010 10:35 AM (in response to Tigger087)

Proper shoes are a must and the wrong ones can cause you problems.   I'm not professional but believe in information is paramount.  Therefore I would suggest taking the wet test as someone posted, and then taking trying to take the results from that, and your old shoes and going to a professional running store.  Yes you may pay more but with the info from the wet test, your old shoes (so they can see the wear patterns) and their own observations (most professional stores will watch you walk to look at your pronation/supination) they can provide you with the best fit for your needs, gait, weight, etc. as it all figures in.  Buying a shoe just because it's the hottest thing on the market, they're cheaper, or they look cool is not the answer and could set you up for failure.  I will say the shoes I'm now in would not have been my first choice if I had done it on my own being ill-informed.

• dltang Legend 163 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    7. Jan 19, 2010 7:29 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:

There are others here who can speak to this with more authority, but the two issues you list seem to be contradictory.  "Flat feet" are usually associated with overpronation, where the foot collapses too far inward as you run, and excess wear toward the inside edge of your shoes.  Walking/running on the outside edge of your feet is usually associated with supination (opposite of overpronation), high arches and feet that are relatively inflexible.  Being observed running by a knowledgable person at a good running store would be very helpful.  Look here http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-240-319-326-0,00.html at "Take the Wet Test" to get an idea of your foot type.  I'm sure you'll hear from others who can give you more information.

Len

For flat feet look up Phase 4 Orthotics on line.  You will find them under this name and their newer name which I can not remember off the top of my head.  But for $20 or so you will find a miracle in a shoe.  They are a little strange and hard to get used to at first, but now I do not wear a pair of shoes without them.  I had inserts made at a foot doctor and they didn't work near as well as this $20 fix.  I used to get plantar fasciitis so bad I couldn't even walk when I got out of bed the next day.  These inserts fixed a lot of problems for me.  Give them a try.

With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.

Blogging My Journey Back to Me. http://community.active.com/people/dltang/blog

Results from 5K races back in 2005, I want to get there again and then improve.

Crim 5K 39:21

All Women's 5K 34:59

Genesys Hospice 5K 36:30

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...