Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4414 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2010 5:26 AM by mklique RSS
Jamie76770 Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 19, 2010 6:12 AM

Right Foot Numbness

Hi all, Just hoping that some of you can shed some light on a problem I've been having.

I'm 26/f and overweight at 210lbs. I've been working out at Curves plus walking/eliptical for about 4 years now, and I've tackled running before, hated it, and I'm giving it another try. I'm at the point where I'm running/walking 2 minutes each for about 40 minutes plus warm up and cool down. At about the 20 or 25 minute mark, my right foot goes asleep. Not like pins and needles kind of sleep, it's like running on a stump, numb all the way up to the ankle. I can keep running this way, but I know there's something going on, and I am making injury more likely. I have no numbness in my left foot. I got a new pair of shoes from a running store with excellent support, and now I can get to about 30 or 35 minutes until the numbness sets in. I am following a run/walk program from a book, and it seems like 50 minutes total at this point is much longer than the plans suggested on this site. Someone at the gym suggested that the numbness might be caused by a nerve being pinched in my back.

Have any of you had or heard of this problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Shorty158 Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010
    1. Jan 19, 2010 9:29 AM (in response to Jamie76770)
    Re: Right Foot Numbness

If you have not seen a doctor do so.  They can first tell you if you should be running & then help you with your numbness.  Sounds like a pinched nerve, but if untreated it could lead to a fall which keeps you down & out for a long time and you don't want that.

• Porter1976 Amateur 27 posts since
    Jul 6, 2007
    2. Jan 19, 2010 2:16 PM (in response to Shorty158)

I had a similar problem in my left foot that I noticed a while back on the elliptical. It would start about 30-40 minutes in.

Here's what I've noticed while running. My feet tend to swell later on in the workout. Rather than lace my shoes at the top, I've reverse laced them and tie them at the bottom.. and not as tight as I used to.  Also make sure your shoes fit well with a little bit of room, but not a whole lot of room.

One thing I caught myself doing both on the elliptical and while running is curling my toes under when things started getting strenous.  I know how can run with your toes curled under. Well it really messes up your mechanics.  I compensated for this by getting thicker running socks so I don't have enough room to do that anymore. I also talk myself through it when I'm walking and running. Heel Toe, Heel Toe,  The last three times I've run, I haven't had a problem with it at all.

Mine was so bad I couldn't feel it at all and I was dragging it more than running with it.

There will always be someone rooting for you to fail. They do this out of their own insecurity. They don't have the Courage or the Strength to do what you do. Sometimes, you must first believe in yourself before anyone else will.

Mindy

http://skinnymindy.wordpress.com/

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    3. Jan 20, 2010 9:54 AM (in response to Jamie76770)

I have a similar problem with my right foot occassionally and find that it is directly related to how tight the shoe laces are across the top of my foot and toe box.  Not how tight theyare at the ankle.  I will often have to stop multiple times and adjust.  Some days its not an issue and other days its very annoying.  It might be a simple solution, but try adjusting the laces all through the lace area...make them looser.

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    4. Jan 20, 2010 8:16 PM (in response to cyndi t)

I would get a doctors appointment for sure.  Second I agree, you can totally mess around with how you tie your shoes.  There are several ways and I recently made my own up.  At the bottom I don't even lace it there anymore...I start one notch up.  Totally opened up my toe area and now my second and little toes don't go numb.  Get it looked at though, I'd hate for you to get injured further.

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• araustin02 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    5. Jan 20, 2010 9:05 PM (in response to Jamie76770)

This is the thread I've been searching for lately! I, too, have had numbness in my right foot about 30min into cardio activity. About an hour after, I also have mild pain on the top of my foot and sometimes on the ball of my foot. My doctor ruled out any bone issues with x-rays and now thinks that I may have tarpal tunnel.  If I ice the foot after a workout, it seems to prevent any pain and I feel as though I'm not having as many issues during my workouts. She said that swelling in my feet is likely pinching a nerve, causing the numbness and pain. She also directed me to get fitted for shoes at RunTex, a local running store that does thorough fittings for shoes. I'm hoping that will help with the problem. I am overweight, but have lost 40lbs so far and am hoping to complete my first 5k in the near future. This foot problem has really set me back because it ruins my focus and intensity during my workouts. Eager to hear more tips from others who are experiencing similar symptoms.

• ExperiencedRunner Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    6. Jan 20, 2010 10:27 PM (in response to araustin02)

I agree with your doctor that it may be a pinched nerve.  I had a similar situation happen to me several years ago.  I had actual burning and shooting pain through my right leg. My doctor did an MRI and bingo, I slipped a disk.  I went through physical therapy.  And the results were stunning. Absolutely no pain, and they gave me several exercises to do in order to stop the pain from coming back and to keep my spin in alignment.  I would see if you doctor can run some tests to determine the actual cause, then physical therapist can help you out and design a plan to resolve this issue....

I can certainly understand this pain taking the focus and pleasure out of your running experience....But once the issue is fully addressed and corrected you will be as good as new...just like what happened to me...good luck...

• mklique Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 26, 2009
    7. Jan 21, 2010 5:26 AM (in response to Jamie76770)

While it's highly possible that there could be a pinched nerve in your Low Back, the description of your symptoms doesn't exactly fit a problem rooted in that area.

If it's just from the ankle down, only on one side, and a change to a more supportive shoe helped, it's more likely the problem is located around the ankle.  There are so many small bones in that area that just walking around in non-supportive shoes (particularly if overweight) can cause some of those bones to shift and place pressure on the nerves as they pass into the foot.  Those can actually be adjusted by a Chiropractor, but I would suggest finding one that works with a lot of athletes.  There is also the possibility of something like tarsal tunnel syndrome, or an issue closer to the knee, but they are far less likely.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points