Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1459 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2010 11:57 AM by Metime
pantherchild Amateur 9 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2010 7:20 AM

Vitamins and the like.

I've never been what one would call fit--I've occasionally been healthy, but fit invovles exerscize and I'm allergic to exercize.  It makes me get all out of breath and I start sweating and I get all red and hot and....:D

So, my pre-New Years resolution was to get FIT (and hopefully down to a healthy weight to boot).  I'm about 25, female, medium build...not super overweight, but I could lose about 20 pounds or so.

I started taking vitamins last year.  The first thing I was taking were One-A-Day Prenatal (no kids or pregnancy, lol)  and after those ran out, I grabbed a big bottle of  One-A-Day Womens.  My husband suggested adding Chromium Picolinate (500mg) which he'd found in the past really helped him when he was lifting and helped his ex-wife lose weight when she was doing martial arts and walking.

On my theme of being coming fit, I've taken up running (W2D1 of C25K just kicked my rear this morning, lol) as well as Pilates (1-3 days a week, depending on when I run).  I'm starting to feel amazing--better than I have in YEARS.

Anyway, I wanted to know what vitamins and such people take.  Is there anything out there that you have found is really awesome or anything you've found that's like eating sawdust?  What do you feel a runner 'needs' to maximize her running capability?

Thanks!  <3

• happy thoughts Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    1. Jan 24, 2010 3:10 PM (in response to pantherchild)
    Re: Vitamins and the like.

I have been running for 3 years now and I have found that the GNC wellBEing is great.  "BE Hot" is the combination that I take and I feel like I have a lot of energy.  I would suggest that.

• GS8 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    2. Feb 9, 2010 7:11 AM (in response to pantherchild)

I just wanted to way congratulations on making a change and KUTGW   As far as vitamins go, I take super B complex every day with chewable vitamin C.  I dont take multivitamins only because they upset my stomach but I really should take one LOL.  Try to eat a good mix of protein, high fiber carbs and veggies.  I know some runners swear by Clif bars.  I tend to shy away from energy bars because of the calories but the Clif bars taste great and have loads of vitamins.  Best of luck on your running program!

GS

http://www.savychick.com

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten" ~ Tony Robbins

Races Completed

6-2009 Intense Training's 5K Challenge for a Cure 40:48

7-2009 Expedition Everest 5K

11-2009 PAL Half Marathon/5K 35:04

2-2010 Coconut Creek Butterfly 5K Run 33:37

3-13-2010 MS 5K Run 32:12

• Metime Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 20, 2010
    3. Apr 4, 2010 11:57 AM (in response to pantherchild)

Good for you to make such a lifestyle change!

I take the GNC Women's Health Vitamin and an additional dose of Calcium (I am 40+)  About 3 months ago I was complaining to my dr of being tired, even though I was working out at the gym 2-3 times per week.  I started C25K at the first of March and have been consistently taking my vitamins.  I feel SO much better.  You may have to experiment with some different vitamins to find the right combination that works for you.  (another side note I am a Weight Watchers member and they also highly recommend a daily mutli vitamin for good health)

Races:

Bricktown Blaze (5K) 6/12/10

Stars & Stripes Forever (5K) 7/3/10

Midnight Streak (5K) 8/14/10

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points