Skip navigation

3819 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2010 1:28 PM by JNugBballer14
mdog795 Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2010 7:22 AM

Improving left dribbling hand

Hey guys,

I'm a 16 year old sophomore who's currently playing on JV basketball. I would say my biggest weakness right now is the fact that I only can go right when I drive because my left hand is so lacking in terms of dribbling ability.  What's the best way to improve this deficiency?  I also have major problems with my left handed layup.

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    1. Jan 20, 2010 12:37 PM (in response to mdog795)
    Re: Improving left dribbling hand

Great question and I happy to hear you are seeking out help. It is vital to be able to dribble effectively with both hands as well as finish layups with both hands.

There are many drills and techniques you can do to improve this, it will take some effort and hard work but its worth it. Being skilled with both hands gives you more options as a player and provides you confidence that you can go both ways.

Shoot me an email and I will detail the drills and workouts you can be doing on a regular basis come off-season and even some at home. - dannym@innovativeathletes.com

I look forward to working with you.

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

• CoachDadG Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2. Jan 20, 2010 3:15 PM (in response to mdog795)

Developing your weak side is critical.  There are a few simple things you can do.  You must be dedicated - ever hear the saying "practice makes perfect"?

1) Dribble simultaneously with a ball in each hand.  Make sure the balls are equally inflated and not over inflated.  Do this as often as possible.  You can practice dribbling simultaneously then switch to a left/right rythm.  Once things are running smooth, stop dribbling with the right and you will notice your left has become more comfortable.  Repetition and frequency are the keys here.  Go forward from baseline to baseline and back going backwards if you can.

2)  From the free-throw line, practice your form shooting with your left while having your right behind your back.  If you are not familiar with form shooting let me know and I can outline it for you.

3)  Mikan Drill - From low-post positions, shoot right with right then left with left, getting your rebound each time and get the drill moving quick.  See how many you can do in 5 mins.  Keep repeating and see if you can improve your time and number of hits each time you practice.  Use the glass to increase your hit percentage.  You can also tweak to do hooks right, then left from directly under the basket.

4)  Backboard taps on left side of rim.  Start with continuous put backs on the board using both hands then migrate to using just the left.  Don't let the ball hit the ground and see how many you can do in repetition.  This will definitely help your left sided layup and your low-post play as well.

The key here is keep working and developing your weak side.  It's not going to be comfortable but you will get back the effort you put in.

Have fun.

• Coach Chris H Amateur 14 posts since
    Apr 21, 2008
    3. Jan 31, 2010 9:49 PM (in response to mdog795)

Something you can do on a daily basis is to start to use your left hand more.  When you open doors, use your left hand to push them open or turn the knob.  Talk on the phone and hold it in your left hand.  Is this going to turn you into a great left handed dribbler?  Of course not, but it will get you more comfortable using your weak hand which will make doing the drills with your left hand easier.  Doing these sorts of things with your left hand are easy to implement and will allow you to progress quicker than if you didn't.

Chris Hungerford

www.hoopsking.com

• KingDuce Amateur 18 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010
    4. Feb 1, 2010 1:17 AM (in response to mdog795)

As a basketball player I can respect this topic.  I too struggled with my off-hand for MANY years playing the game.  If it's one thing I noticed is that the really good players pick up on things like that very quickly.  Anyways, Steve Nash used to dribble a tennis ball almost everywhere he went to improve his ball handling ability.  You can try this with your left hand, and also with your right so that when the big ol pumpkin (basketball) is in your hands you'll see major improvements.  The thing that made me a better off-hand dribbler (which is kind of torturing i might add) is that, my stepfather would tie my right arm behind my back and force me to do drills with just my left hand.  It will take sometime to get used to your offhand, but it's a really simple task once you start some kind of rhythm and repitition with it.  As far as driving with your offhand, it's just as easy as doing it with your strong hand.  Just remember to stay low and have your fingers spread out as far as possible.  When I was in middle school, I'd always go up with two hands when doing a left handed layup.  Some of the other kids teased me for it, but I wasn't missing my off-hand layups.  After awhile I got used to being able to control the ball while attacking the rim with my left hand.  And when I started dunking, it took me awhile to get my left hand dunk down.  It just takes rhythm and repitition.

You can also e-mail me for more advice, tips, etc.

royalty4life@hotmail.com

Good luck man!

CJ

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    5. Feb 1, 2010 11:27 AM (in response to KingDuce)

A nice tip from CJ in regards to tennis ball drills - this can quickly increase your comfort level using your left hand (and don't forget to keep focus on your right hand too)

I would start with stationary ball handling drills, 2-ball drills and than really practice 'on-the move' drills with tremendous focus on your weaker hand.

Someone also mentioned, practicing left handed layups on a regular basis, that is another exercise to implement this off-season...good luck and keep working hard man!

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

• JNugBballer14 Pro 101 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010
    6. Feb 1, 2010 1:28 PM (in response to mdog795)

Hey, don't worry I'm right there with you. I am a 13 year old 7th grader who starts for my AAU team, and i was asked to play with the 8th graders this year. Anyway, my left hand was significantly weaker than my right hand. I would only go right, i couldn't crossover, and overall i was just afraid to use it. However, i started realizing if i want to keep playing competitively i had to do something. So i started exercising my left hand everyday, i started stretching my left hand before games and at practice and at home, and it has definitely helped. Also, try palming the ball with your left hand so it stretches out. Lastly, in practice or in the yard, dribble more with your left hand than your right hand. Believe me this helps. In my game yesterday i stole the ball on the left side, went for i break-away took 1 or 2 dribbles with my right hand, took 4 or 5 dribbles with my left hand, then once nobody was near me i went back to my right hand, took it STRAIGHT to the basket, got fouled and made 2 foul shots. So just use those exercises i suggested, keep at it, work hard, and it will pay off. Just never give up. Good luck!

"Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better, and your better is best." ~Tim Duncan

* "Dare to be great." *

"Hard work, a positive attitude, confidence, and a smile are the keys to success."

Basketball is life....#14

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points