Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9044 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2010 7:35 AM by beachskirun RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • tracib1220 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 25, 2010 3:58 PM (in response to mamasu)
    Re: Always a walker... starting to run at age 42!

I'm brand new to the site and this my first post.  This is a great thread and good inspiration!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who is trying to start running later in life.  I will be 40 in December and I did my first sprint triathlon last October - 1000 meter swim, 21 mile bike and a 5k.  Quite an accomplishment for me!  Running is definitely the weakest part of my race and my least favorite portion.  I'd really like to build up my endurance and distance before the next tri...not to mention drop the 15lbs I've gained over the last couple of years.  I'm curious to know how everyone got started and what sort of training programs you followed as a newbie,  If anyone has any good beginner training programs or good resources and wouldn't mind to share, I would sure appreciate it.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    16. Jan 26, 2010 7:14 AM (in response to mamasu)

There are lots of 40ish runners here - I'm 47.  I started running in my mid-30's but stopped and started back a few times.  I most recently started back a little over 2 years ago (when I became unemployed and had more time on my hands!)  I'm still 30 lbs overweight, but I enjoy running for the sake of running.  Good luck with your new lifestyle!

• T9C Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 11, 2010
    17. Jan 27, 2010 8:06 AM (in response to mamasu)

I'm 41, overeweight, and have never been able to run. I tried as early as the 7th grade but always ended up with shinsplints. My wife started running a year and a half ago with a Galloway group.  She was not a runner either but has now run 4 marathons and 5 or 6 half marathons in just a little over a year.  Back in October I decided to start the C25K with my kids, my wife was running in the Houston marathon so we signed up for the 5K so we would have something to do to.  While we didn't fully follow the C25K training plan, we did a lot of it combining the Galloway run/walk and completed the 5K two weeks ago.  In the meantime, I find I am actually wanting to run now and don't like the inbetween days when I don't.  To top it all off, I'm going to do a half marathon this Sunday.

• mt232 Pro 64 posts since
    Nov 13, 2008
    18. Jan 27, 2010 2:29 PM (in response to mamasu)

Is this the "Started running at 40ish" club?

I ran my first 5k a little over a year ago at 41......well I was afraid of getting old, guess I'm not alone.

Jan 16, 2008
    19. Jan 27, 2010 2:37 PM (in response to T9C)

T9C wrote:

My wife started running a year and a half ago with a Galloway group.  She was not a runner either but has now run 4 marathons and 5 or 6 half marathons in just a little over a year.

Really??

• T9C Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 11, 2010
    20. Jan 27, 2010 2:45 PM (in response to Marykb)

Really!  She started up on the galloway program around the fall of 08, I think.  If you are unfamiliar with Jeff Galloway check out http://jeffgalloway.com/  I think he has a column here as well.

• Cindyd32 Pro 64 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    21. Jan 27, 2010 3:36 PM (in response to mamasu)

I am a late in life runner, currently I am 44.  My first race ever was a 5K in 2Q of 2004, then did the Mudd run 10K in June of 2004.  Stopped running, until I got a wild idea to run a HM in 2008.  Started my program in May 2008, 22 week program.  Ran my 1st HM Oct 2008.  I loved it an got hooked on the distance.  I am currently 2 weeks away from HM #2.

While training for my 1st HM once i got to 6-7 miles the running no longer was a challange, i was no longer saying i have xx miles to go, I was just able to run to run.  I am not breaking any speed records but i enjoy my runs.

Glad to so so many lately bloomers as me.

CindyD32
  • waunarun Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 27, 2010
    22. Jan 27, 2010 3:58 PM (in response to mamasu)

40 this year, I too always wanted to be a runner. Tired of making excuses and carrying around the extra 20 lbs. Just found this group! So happy!! I'm right behind you my friend.

• TomHorn Expert 42 posts since
    Dec 30, 2009
    23. Jan 27, 2010 5:53 PM (in response to mamasu)

I started at 45 ... was a great decision, but can't say it's always been easy. It has been a challenge ... and fun!

• Fitwithin Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    24. Jan 27, 2010 6:22 PM (in response to mamasu)

Hello, mamasu,

I'm also a Walker at heart !

I'm 49  yrs. old Just last year I started adding Walk / Run and from there on I loved it until I could run 1 complete mile.

I love it  and wants to further my Running.

We ole Dogs have to stick together....lol

Jan 16, 2008
    25. Jan 27, 2010 6:29 PM (in response to T9C)

T9C wrote:

Really!  She started up on the galloway program around the fall of 08, I think.  If you are unfamiliar with Jeff Galloway check out http://jeffgalloway.com/  I think he has a column here as well.

Yes, I'm familiar with "Gallowalking"  So you're saying she does walk/run?  Still, I've never heard of anyone other than the most hard core runners doing four marathons PLUS five or six half marathons in a little over a year.  Certainly not someone who has just recently started running.

• pensgirl10 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 18, 2009
    26. Jan 27, 2010 7:53 PM (in response to mamasu)

Yet another....

I'd never run before starting in January 2009 at age 46. I was up to 8 miles by spring. Ran a 10K in September just after turning 47. Now I'm three months away from my first marathon.

• Barb L123 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 27, 2010
    27. Jan 27, 2010 8:44 PM (in response to mamasu)

Hi, I too was always an active walker but never really trained until this summer.  In Sept I walked my first half marathon....then thought let's step it up a notch and start running.  I started running and training on Sept 15th 2009.  I have never been a runner but was able to do the Vegas half marathon in Dec of 2009 and ran the full distance...boy was I pumped...what a great feeling.  I am truly hooked and cannot wait for the end of my work day to get and run some more.....and I am older than you....I will be 46 this year and have found a new passion.  So keep going...:)

• Shorty158 Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010
    28. Jan 28, 2010 7:13 AM (in response to mamasu)

7lbs since I started weight watchers two weeks ago.  I did not see the weight loss from just running.  I should have done my measurements because my family & coworkers kept asking me if I was losing weight before I started weight watchers so you will notice a difference in your body.  I actually got a dimple on the side of my bottom that wasn't hail damage/cottage cheese related.  Pretty cool, i haven't had that since I was in my 20s.  :-)  Plus now that I can run 2 miles I feel like a machine!!!!

• Shorty158 Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010
    29. Jan 28, 2010 7:15 AM (in response to mt232)

If this is my midlife crisis (which btw, I don't think 40 constitutes middle age) then it is the best one I could possibly have and it is cheap.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...