Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2069 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2010 2:57 PM by Angiesrunning RSS
Angiesrunning Amateur 32 posts since
Nov 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2010 6:44 AM

Pain in the leg

I started running in Nov, but I've been working out at the gym actively for 2 1/2 years.  I decided to train for a half  marathon at the end of Feb.  A week ago, I ran my longest run (9 miles) and ever since I've had this pain in my leg.  It's on the inside between my knee and my ankle...not my calf, but not my shin either.  Sometimes it hurts just from walking, however if I lay off of it and ice it, it seems to be doing better, but I still can't run.  Any suggestions as to what this might be and what can I do for it?  I'm 5 weeks out from my race and really want to run.  I've stayed away from running for the past few days, but wearing shoes with a heal yesterday just about hurt it again.  I can ride the bike at the gym and it doesn't hurt it anymore...  I need advice.  I really want to run this race, but I don't want to hurt my leg further.  I stretch before and after each run.  I don't know how I injured it.

Angie

• bbqbrad Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010
    1. Jan 25, 2010 7:00 AM (in response to Angiesrunning)
    Re: Pain in the leg

This is probably not what you're wanting to hear but...

Too much too soon.  Classic case.  Don't run for 2 weeks, see how your leg feels.

Bottom line is. Rest those legs and aim for a more realistic goal.  5-8k perhaps.

You've gotta build up the mileage slow and steady.

Best of luck! Don't be discouraged.

• runtothefinish Expert 39 posts since
    Dec 8, 2008
    2. Jan 25, 2010 7:55 AM (in response to Angiesrunning)

Hi Angie!

The pain might be the result of bad running form..have you gone to a running store to have your gait analyzed and get fitted for shoes?   If rest really does make it feel better, then in order to run your race I would say try to do a lot of biking or if possible the elliptical during the next two weeks, but no running at all.  They've shown that if you bike at a high intensity you can keep up the same level of fitness and come out ready to run!

Avoid the high heels too if you can, just give your leg all the pampering you can.  Stretching generally helps out too.

RunToTheFinish.com

sig copy.jpg

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jan 25, 2010 8:53 AM (in response to Angiesrunning)

This could very well be shin splints, which is a generic term relating to lower leg pain other than the calf muscles.  Shin splints can occur on either side of the shin bone.  It may very well be a matter of too much, too soon.  Going from no running to a half-marathon in 3 months is very aggressive.  Check this article: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/196.shtml#posterior.  It also gives tips for treating it.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points