Skip navigation

4166 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2010 6:36 PM by jhuggler21 RSS
dltang Legend 163 posts since
Apr 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2010 6:20 PM

signed up for the Sprint Triathlon

Well, hello everyone,

I am F, 47 and pretty overweight.  I just started the C25K program last week and today was W2D1.  I plan on running my first 5K in April.  As soon as that training is finished, I plan on adding my swimming and biking to the mix.  I signed up for a Sprint Tri in Aug.  I think I should be able to accomplish it.  Looking for pointers and encouragement.

With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.

Blogging My Journey Back to Me. http://community.active.com/people/dltang/blog

Results from 5K races back in 2005, I want to get there again and then improve.

Crim 5K 39:21

All Women's 5K 34:59

Genesys Hospice 5K 36:30

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jan 26, 2010 9:47 AM (in response to dltang)
    Re: signed up for the Sprint Triathlon

COOL! welcome to the sport.  it's pretty simple - don't drown, don't crash, and keep moving forward

you just mix in some swim and cycling workouts during the week w/ your runs and a long ride on the weekend and a long run on the other weekend day.  slowly buiding up your distances till you're ready for the big day.

check around for your local tri club -they are usually filled w/ cool folks who make training more fun and give you tons of pointers

if swimming is an issue check for a US masters swimming program it will be a big help.

a mountain or hybrid bike is fine for your first race - definitely don't need an expensive bike till you are really hooked

there are generic plans here and on other sites (trinewbies.com, beginnertriathlete.com, and trifuel) that can give some ideas about what involved with training. but don't worry too much you can hack it

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• MarkPro Amateur 12 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010
    2. Jan 26, 2010 10:02 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

Welcome and Diddo what Joe said!  This will be my first year doing tri;s as well. What I have been doing this winter is running on the treadmill and spining every other day. I also use skiing and snowshoeing as cross training tools. I am coming off a foot injury that has sidelined my running for two years so I want to stress quality running shoes. Do not skimp in that department! Soon I will be swimming two to three times a week as well. I  have a simple philosophy when I train. If you want to do a bike event ride your bike..swim...swim...run go for a run but do distances 1/2 to 3/4 of your planned event.

Good luck, you can definitely do it!

Mark

• RollTyde Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    4. Jan 29, 2010 3:47 PM (in response to dltang)

Best of luck to you.  The other day I signed up for my first sprint that is going to take place in July.  I'm anxious to see how its going to go.

Upcoming Races

3/13/10  HH Shamrock Run 5K    29:40

6/5/2010  Hog Jog 5K Trail Run

7/17/10  HH Beach Bum Triathlon

10/10/10 Buzzard Island Adventure Run

11/6/10  HH Bridge Run 10K

• jasonmellet Pro 77 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    5. Jan 30, 2010 7:46 AM (in response to dltang)

Thats awesome news, welcome to the triathlon community. you will find a lot of encouragement and people who want to train with you as well. I did 2 sprint triathlons last year and am training for a 70.3 this year. My wife and i just had our first baby in october and she is now signed up for a sprint tri in april to try and get rid of her baby weight, she still has 12 pounds to go to get to her target weight. its a little more difficult as she is 36 yrs old.

good luck with all your training. let us know how its going from time to time.

Jason Mellet

Im racing my first full ironman in may 2011. I am raising money for alzheimer's whilst im training for it. You can find out more in my blog on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/2e8sazl

Here is my Alzheimer's donatation page.

http://tinyurl.com/23fqnhf

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    7. Jan 31, 2010 6:59 PM (in response to dltang)

Hey there and welcome! Like the others said, I hope you'll find encouragement and ideas here as you train. There's a ton of great discussions and expert blogs and articles archived.

I think your August timeframe sounds great. I'd look at planning your tri training around:

- your fitness level after the 5k in april

- your goals for your first tri race experience

- what your strengths/weaknesses are

- technique in each area

- fun memorable ways to keep you encouraged and motivated as the weeks fly by!

I see you're shopping for your bike. I hope that's a fun part of the experience too.

Come back and update us!

:-) Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    8. Jan 31, 2010 7:05 PM (in response to jasonmellet)

Jason,

Cool that your wife is now also tri training. And congratulate her on her post-birth weight loss, that's not easy, especially with all those yummy holidays between October and now!

She's doing very well!

:-) Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• jhuggler21 Amateur 24 posts since
    Jul 14, 2009
    9. Feb 8, 2010 8:52 AM (in response to dltang)

DlTang -

I am excited to see your posting.  I am doing my first Sprint Tri in June of this year!  I noticed that you did the Crim and The Genesys runs last year - both of which I did!!  Very cool.  What Tri did you sign up for?

I am doing the Hawk Island Tri in Lansing, and am really excited about it! And a little nervous.  There are some good ones in Ohio, too, that are all women and a Sprint Distance.  I signed up for one that is in Maumee Bay State Park, which is right by the Toledo area, so not too far away.  I wish we had some of those here.

Can't wait to hear how the training is going!!

Julie

Jul 14, 2009
    11. Feb 9, 2010 6:53 AM (in response to dltang)

Deb-

I guess I missed the 2005, sorry.  But it'sstill cool to find someone doing the same thing around me.  I am from Michigan, I just found some women only tri's in Ohio that looked like fun, and we have friends that live in the Toledo Area, so that is why I am doing the one down there.

I haven't done a Triathlon yet, but the sport has always appealed to me and things seem to get in the way.  I mostly did road races, became interested in Adventure Racing but can not find a single person to do one with me, so I signed up for the Triathlon.  I turned 30 last year and after a decade of marriage, kids, new job, etc., I decided it was now my time to find myself again, and get back into the Shape I was in College - or better!

I saw the Sanford and Sun and thought about it.  It depends how the ones in June go.

I wish I could afford a new bike.  Mine is at least 15 years old, my brothers hand me down mtn bike.  I am taking it in to the Bike Shop in Davison and they are going to get it ready, put on road tires, stuff like that.  I did invest in a TriSuit, though, and am really glad I did.  It is much more comfortable than I thought it would be, and it hides the imperfections much better than my regular swim suit.

I found a really good training program for a Sprint Distance on TriNewbies.com  - It's an 11 week sprint plan, and it seems really helpful.  It starts you off from basic for every discipline, so for the running, which I am comforatable, instead of the walk/run, I am adding in some jog/run and working on speeding up my times. : )And it's in pdf. for so you can print it off and put it in a binder (which I am doing) for easy reference.  It has a calendar, then a more descriptive paragraph for each workout, and then a section on each discipline as well as weight training.

Here is the link if you are interested:    http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf

How is the C25K going for you?  Are you running outside in this frigid weather or do you use a treadmill?

Jul 14, 2009
    13. Feb 11, 2010 6:36 PM (in response to dltang)

Deb -

Adventure Racing is really neat.  It is an endurance race with teams, usually in teams.  It is kind of like an obstacle course/triathlon with orienteering and a little crazy mixed in.  There is usually some sort of water component (canoe, kayak, etc.) and the running is a lot of trail running, and there is biking as well.  Sometimes there is a ropes course, and lots of different little things thrown in, and each team has to hit a bunch of checkpoints.  It's pretty neat, actually, and my brother wants to do it with me but he hasnt been able to yet.   They look like tons of fun.  I found one in Indianapolis that is all women, and it looks like a good time so I am trying to get my mom and sister to do it with me. We'll see!

Hows your running going?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...