Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

27199 Views 74 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 10:36 PM by Designeer 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Designeer Pro 125 posts since
Jan 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2010 1:22 PM

Prolotherapy Cure for Morton's Neuroma

Hi, I hope I am at the end and with a real cure for a long Morton's Neuroma battle.  I traumatized my foot in a bicycle accident.  They say MN can be years in the making and it flared up big time, I had been wearing tight running shoes for about a year not thinkng too much about it (they'll stretch I thought).

SO, AFTER POKING AROUND ON THE NET, I got lucky and saw Prolotherapy mentioned (and its rarely mentioned by patients) and I flew to who seems like the best in the USA, Dr. Hauser outside Chicago in Oak Park.  I was skeptical of doctors placing ads but surgery sounded scary.

Well, he cures some in 4 treatments and its taken me 6 by him and 4 by prolo docs in Florida, I should have stuck with him all the way, but I hated to fly so far.

Week 5 after treatment 10 the tingling of many pin points on the bottom of my foot has almost dissapeared, I am rarely feeling the shock of the nerve through my toes, my foot feels tighter overall. I ran a bit in too tight dress shoes the other day to make a meeting, no aftermath !!!!

I am walking 2 miles a day without pain and after about week 7 or 8 I will begin light jogging incrementally, I don't want to stretch the newly tightened ligaments.

I am hoping to hear from others treated this way and their results long term.  Its supposed to be permanent.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,163 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    4. Feb 23, 2010 10:31 PM (in response to Designeer)
    Re: Prolotherapy Cure for Morton's Neuroma

It is a little strange that nobody has responded to a topic that has  been popular on other threads, but it may be because Prolotherapy is  still considered new even though it has been around for many years. Too  many choices these days, and people tend toward the mainstream when  their running is at stake.

The concept is simple -   inject an inflammatory substance into the target tissue to provoke an  enhanced immune response - but there was an outcry over a similar  strategy used in some H1N1 vaccines, namely the use of adjuvants, that  was looking for the same effect. Prolotherapy targets the healing  process though, rather than general immunity, so there should be greater  acceptance of the method, which actually relies on nature for   efficacy. I believe the best therapies depend on the body's ability to  adapt to stress, and this one could be more widely used. The injection   is often  something as harmless as sugar water, for crying out loud.

Perhaps  the reluctance is due to the fact that so few doctors are trained in  the technique and get less practice using it than other therapies.  Insurance probably does not cover it, either. Did yours? If not, what  was the cost? People might try it if the price reflects the relative  simplicity of the procedure. It is marginally invasive - much less so  than arthroscopic surgery, which can produce some adverse reactions of  its own.

I have recommended prolotherapy in the case of  bursitis, and I suppose the treatment of ligaments that are sometimes  loose in the Morton foot is a good adjunct therapy. Just make sure that  the foot is structurally optimized for the athletic performance you  expect before piling on the miles. Many people with Morton's Neuroma  have developed several of these interosseous neuromas over the course of  a lifetime, so this could be a permanent fix for only one of them.

The  Morton foot has physical limitations that require some thoughtful  engineering for adaptation to sport. Otherwise, the minor metatarsals  will still be at a considerable mechanical disadvantage. My advice is to  look past the usual orthotic solutions to somebody that understands  how  to deal with the math of Morton biometrics. This Doctor (Jarret)  sounds like he knows what he's talking about...

http://www.pcopco.com/neuromas.html

Here's  one of his posts to this forum...

http://community.active.com/thread/80065/burning-toes/0/30

• acupunk Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 5, 2010
    7. Mar 5, 2010 10:51 AM (in response to Designeer)

OK, I'm interested! I have suffered with MN made worse by an orthotic.  I've done alchol injections, cryo, surgery last year - none of it has helped, in fact a bit worse off than I was before.

I got a great orthotic guy now and that helps but my foot is still very tender and sensitve and my activities limited.

Any advise on how to find someone with ggod experience in the Philadelphia area?

Mar 5, 2010
    8. Mar 5, 2010 10:52 AM (in response to acupunk)

good or god - either one .. lol

Mar 5, 2010
    10. Mar 5, 2010 12:57 PM (in response to Designeer)

Thanks, I think I'm going to try these guys:

http://http://www.drmagaziner.com/Medical-Services/Prolotherapy&PainManagement.asp

Congratulations on your improvement, it sounds promising

Was it expensive?

Mar 5, 2010
    13. Mar 29, 2010 12:14 PM (in response to Designeer)

Well, one of my podiatrists told me he refers people for prolo for ankle stuff, but he thought using it for MN was crazy - that it would be impossible to actually get to the little ligaments between the toes.

I made an appointment anyway with the NJ clinic because I also have some back stuff going on that might be helped by prolo.  Appointment is not until late April, so we'll see.

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...