Skip navigation

4470 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2010 9:39 AM by SethW06 RSS
SethW06 Amateur 25 posts since
Oct 13, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 3, 2010 5:22 AM

tri shirt

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first tri shorts in anticipation of my first races this spring.  I bought a pair of tri shorts instead of the tri suit since it seems like it would be more comfortable.  I was wondering if it is worth getting a tri shirt also.  Is there a benefit to wearing this over just a dri-fit shirt?  And do you wear the tri-shirt during the swim or put it on at T1?  Thanks.

Seth

2009 Races

Baltimore Running Festival 5K 10/10/09 29:53

RAMPace 5K 11/21/09 28:15

2010 Races

Tri to Help Maryland Indoor Triathlon 3/6/10 525yds/10min swim, 10.2mi/30min bike, 2.08mi/20min run

Shamrock 8K 3/20/10 46:34

Apple Blossom 10K 5/1/10 56:32

Celebration Sprint Triathlon 6/27/10 2:20:59

Hammer Man Triathlon 9/25/10 1:40:42

Columbus Half-Marathon 10/17/10 2:10:12

• DSchiemel Pro 45 posts since
    Nov 24, 2008
    1. Feb 3, 2010 6:16 AM (in response to SethW06)
    Re: tri shirt

First, congrats on joining the multisport lifestyle! Most participants do not wear a tri shirt under their wetsuit, however, I have seen a racer or two do this to prevent irritation from the wetsuit rubbing against the skin in the arm/shoulder area. This irritation can be prevented by having the wetsuit properly sized and using some body glide to help prevent friction. If you had a tri suit on, you would wear the suit under the wetsuit. What everyone will tell you is that it really is personal preference and it boils down to how comfortable you are wearing the shirt under the suit. The best idea is to get some practice swims in with your wetsuit on, you will get acclimated to the wetsuit restrictions and how easily you float wearing one, at that point you can play around with your set up, try both ways, see what works for you! Best of luck in the upcoming season.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Feb 3, 2010 10:42 AM (in response to SethW06)

putting a tight dry shirt on a wet body that is a rush is BRUTUAL.  my .02 is to wear what you are going to ride in underneath your wetsuit for a quicker easier T1.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• jasonmellet Pro 77 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    3. Feb 3, 2010 1:47 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

my suggestion is to wear your full bike / run setup under your wetsuit. i have tri shorts and a tri shirt and wear it under my wetsuit, however i have yet to do a 70.3 or 140.6 where you will be wearing the wetsuit for up to an hour and chaffing may be an issue, but if you are doing a sprint or olympic distance you will be fine and don't need body glide.

Jason Mellet

Im racing my first full ironman in may 2011. I am raising money for alzheimer's whilst im training for it. You can find out more in my blog on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/2e8sazl

Here is my Alzheimer's donatation page.

http://tinyurl.com/23fqnhf

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Feb 3, 2010 1:59 PM (in response to jasonmellet)

just my  .02 but I've gotten wetsuit hickies from shorter races. lubricate your neck and arms (and the outside of the suit to help remove it)

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Tri 2 Do It Pro 84 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    5. Feb 3, 2010 3:40 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

I agree 100% with Joe_h1 as far as putting a dry shirt on a wet body... it's not easy and can cost you valuable T1 time.  I wear my shirt under my wetsuit these days.

• Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    6. Feb 3, 2010 6:32 PM (in response to SethW06)

Wearing a tri-top under your wet-suit vs. putting on a loose shirt in T1 is about a minute difference.  If your not looking to podium and prefer a looser shirt, go with a dry-fit in T1.  If a minute matters to you in T-1 and extra drag on the bike is an issue, go with a tri-top under your wet-suit.  I have no issues with a tri-top at any any distance from 70.3 and shorter.  I would not try to put it on in T-1.

• scolegit13 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 19, 2009
    7. Feb 9, 2010 2:58 PM (in response to SethW06)

I always wore my shirt under my wetsuit in Sprints especially since the time in T1 is crucial.

I have now purchased a Tri Suit - so i will be wearing that under my wetsuit now, no matter the distance.

• Terrence71 Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 9, 2009
    8. Mar 6, 2010 11:13 PM (in response to SethW06)

Speaking as a beginner myself, can I just say either wear a tri shirt underneath or have a loose athletic shirt at T1. Being a beginner, you're already worried about looking like a poser, nothing makes you look more like a poser then getting your wet arm caught in your darn bike jersey. My friend and I both found that out the hard way. Luckily we finished the swim about 20 seconds a part so we were able to help each other pull the wet shirts down our backs. Can you imagine? What a couple of dopes! Hey maybe a minute difference doesn't mean the difference of 1st or 10 place, but that is the beauty of endurance sports, you always want to do as best as YOU can. The second I was done racing I looked back at every mistake I made and wished I had done it differently. Getting my arm stuck in my shirt, was by far my largest regret. Change as few clothes as possible!

Terrence

www.bigdayceremonies.com

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    9. Mar 8, 2010 6:35 AM (in response to SethW06)

Everybody else has responded assuming you're wearing a wetsuit.  If you aren't, I suggest getting a tri top that you can wear in the water.  My first sprint last year went fine except for trying to put my shirt on after the swim.  I really wished I had just bought a stupid tri shirt - and did shortly thereafter.  Good luck!

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points