Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1543 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2010 11:52 AM by gatorman10 RSS
KK86Runs Rookie 4 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 4, 2010 5:08 PM

When you have cold.

I have a cold .... stuffed up/runny nose type stuff. What do you do? Do you keep with your training

schedule? Do you just not run as much? Do you take a few rest days?

I hate missing out on my running ... but at the same time, I dont want to end up sicker.

What do you all recommend?

• crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    1. Feb 4, 2010 7:52 PM (in response to KK86Runs)
    Re: When you have cold.

The general wisdom is that if the symptoms are all above your neck (i. e. a head cold, stuffy nose, watery eyes, etc.) and you do not have a fever or other symptoms, it is OK to run. Listen to your body as to distance and intensity. You may find that running actually makes you feel better by helping to clear your head. However, if you have a fever, chest symptoms or flulike symptoms, definitely rest up and do not run.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

• runninfeets Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 21, 2009
    2. Feb 5, 2010 8:15 AM (in response to KK86Runs)

I agree....if I just have a stuffed head/runny nose I'll keep running.  If I'm running a fever or have chest congestion I cut back and rest.  For me getting outside and running when I have a stuffy nose actually helps a lot a I usually end up feeling better faster because my nose runs every time I run regardless of me having a cold.  Just take plenty of tissues unless you plan to snot rocket!

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    3. Feb 5, 2010 11:52 AM (in response to KK86Runs)

agree with previous posts.  I have found that as long as the symtoms are above the neck and no fever it is a go.

Wear long sleeves... or carry a hanky... It all comes out. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...