Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

62002 Views 366 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2011 8:25 AM by HeatRash RSS 1 2 3 ... 25 Previous Next
jennywrenfive Expert 39 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 8, 2010 11:58 AM

First Timers (new thread) we started C25K on 1-19ish!

I am starting a new thread for us!  I am starting week 3, but I know some of us are doing week 4 too!  Wow.  I have loved hearing all of your progress which has been invaluable for keeping me on the wagon.  I am wondering if anyone has tried the Nike sensor shoes and if they are worth getting.  I am going to upgrade my shoes soon...well for the first time.  In the past I've bought what is on sale and not cared too much about their mechanics.  My biggest goal for shoes is injury prevention but I also have a love for cool gadgety stuff too.

• Carrieous Pro 146 posts since
    Feb 8, 2010

Hi, I started running on 1/19 but did it all wrong for the first couple of weeks.  I was doing 20 mins on the eliptical and then seeing how fast I could run one mile.  Then I found this site and the c25k program so I started that on Friday- I jumped into week 4, day 2 and then Sunday did week 4, day 3.  I feel fantastic and am heading back tonight to re-do week 4, day 3.  I know the plan says to rest a day in between each but I didnt start as a couch potato, I was more into weights and the eliptical and playing rollerderby for 3 years, so we will see if I can do it with less rest in between.  I had a baby last summer and developed very bad sciatica while pregnant.  So I am coming back from over a year of very little activity but I feel that I am bouncing back very quickly.

I have not tried the shoes.  I run on a treadmill pretty much exclusively.  I tend to get lost or fall when I run outside.

• dltang Legend 163 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009

I'm here.  I just finished W4D2 today in the snow.  Got my run in just in time, The snow was really coming down, couldn't even see my footsteps on the run back toward the house.  It was a pretty nice day though.  I love my podcasts.  I am learning that if I listen to the music and follow the cadence, I can set a better pace and concentrate less on how long I have been running.  I am getting excited for each new challenge.

With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.

Blogging My Journey Back to Me. http://community.active.com/people/dltang/blog

Results from 5K races back in 2005, I want to get there again and then improve.

Crim 5K 39:21

All Women's 5K 34:59

Genesys Hospice 5K 36:30

• Jenni2009 Expert 48 posts since
    May 8, 2009

Thought you lost me like a little sister, huh?    I finally found the new thread; thanks Jenny, for starting it!  Today is my rest day but I'm off to Jazzercise, which is something I've been doing for a couple years.  It's is a work out but I don't do it high enough intensity to change my body, hence the C25K.  I know nothing about the Nike Sensor shoes but I'm intrigued!   I love gadgets, too!  (You should see my kitchen).  I'm proud of you all for keeping going in the cold and winter that you are having.  I am no good in the cold so I really mean that I'm proud of you all.  OK, I'll rub it in a little.....it's 6:15 PM and still 64 degrees outside.   (It never got above 68-ish).  You should see all the Floridians in their sweaters and long pants.  Only the Canadians are in shorts. 

Apr 15, 2009

Jenni2009 wrote:

Thought you lost me like a little sister, huh?    I finally found the new thread; thanks Jenny, for starting it!  Today is my rest day but I'm off to Jazzercise, which is something I've been doing for a couple years.  It's is a work out but I don't do it high enough intensity to change my body, hence the C25K.  I know nothing about the Nike Sensor shoes but I'm intrigued!   I love gadgets, too!  (You should see my kitchen).  I'm proud of you all for keeping going in the cold and winter that you are having.  I am no good in the cold so I really mean that I'm proud of you all.  OK, I'll rub it in a little.....it's 6:15 PM and still 64 degrees outside.   (It never got above 68-ish).  You should see all the Floridians in their sweaters and long pants.  Only the Canadians are in shorts. 

Okay rub it in Jenni2009,

We just got 8 inch of snow last night.  But the good news is, the roads are plowed near my house already and I can do W4D3 tomorrow.  Regarding the Nike+ sensor, you don't need Nike shoes, I bought the sensor and a case that you attach to any shoes you own from Amazon.com.  (I get free shipping as a prime member)  I already have an iphone so it is all set up.  If you don't have an iphone, it will work with any ipod Nano, you buy the kit for $29.00 and it includes the sensor and the part you plug into the nano to read the sensor.  If you don't have any kind of ipod, they also offer a Nike wristband that does the same thing.  I think the wrist band is $59 or something like that.  The sensor alone at Amazon was $19.00 and $7 or $8 for the case to attach it to my shoe.  I love it.  I upload my daily workouts and it keeps track of my totals, including time and calories burned.  Pretty cool.

by the way, if I had 64 degree weather, I would be in shorts also.

Apr 15, 2009

This is the day that the Lord hath made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!!!  I finished Week 4 today, Yeah!!!  And check out my wonderful scenery for running.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/photo-175.jpghttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/photo-174.jpg

I feel really good today, the snow wasn't too bad and I had plenty of tire tracks to run in.  I am going to swim on Friday and then I will be ready for the challenge of Week 5 come Sunday.  I have to confess, the last 5 minutes of this run was a really long 5 minutes, but I felt great when I finished.

Keep up the great work everyone.

• Hikingchick Amateur 38 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Hello!  I'm new to running as well.  I started the second week of Jan and just completed W5R2.  I'm nervous about the W5R3 b/c it's the first time I will run 20 mins. straight.  Each week has been a struggle, but by the end of the week, I catch my breathe and finish strong.  Then it starts all over again with a new week, longer minutes running, new struggle.    I like the challenge of it though.  I also run on a track and listen to podcasts to motivate and prompt me.  Don't know what I would do without music to keep me going.  I decided to do the C25K b/c a friend invited me to join her.  I am more of the hiking type and was never a runner, so it was tough convincing myself to hit the pavement instead of the trail.  But so far it's been a pretty good challenge and goal.

Apr 15, 2009

Jenny, Good call on the new shoes.  I am so glad they are helping.  Congrats on finishing week 3.  I know what you mean about the foods we eat too.  I started eating healthier before I started the C25K actually.  I gave up pop and most of my bad eating habits on Dec. 28th, 2009.  I have slowly started to incorporate even healthier foods over the past month & a half.  I eat a lot more fruits and vegetables than I ever did before.  I make sure I have a little something about 1/2  hour before my run in the mornings.  I can really feel a difference if I go out on an empty stomach and for me it just doesn't work.  I have a friend that is a runner and she has been eating RAW for the past few years.  I know I will never go completely RAW but after being introduced to it, I am trying to eat 50-60% of my food RAW.  I feel better and it is helping with my weight loss as well.  I still want pizza every so often and I do afford myself a free day about once every week and a half.  That helps eliminate the feeling of deprivation and guilt.

• Hollywog22 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jan 16, 2010

Hello everyone!  I was so happy to find this thread.  I have just completed week 4 of the C25K program so I am right about on track with the rest of you. Let me introduce myself....I am a 33 year old mother of 4 children ages 15, 13, 10, and 9 months.  I used to run about 4 miles a day, sometimes more.  I got out of the habit when I met my husband in 2007 and put on 30 lbs VERY quickly.  After that I tried several times to start running again and I would always overdo it, wear myself out, make myself sore, and quit.  Then I had a baby in April of 2009 through in vitro fertilization.  The in vitro made me pack on a additional fast 18 lbs, and while I didn't gain any extra weight during the pregnancy itself, I was left with the extra 48 lbs to lose still.  I struggled for months, and then finally a friend of mine who is a personal trainer suggested I try this program.  I hopped on my treadmill and....found that I had finally discovered a program I could stick with.  I am very excited to be getting back into running!  I have signed up for 3 different 5k events for April, May, and June.  I plan on doing several more as I find them.  I also changed my eating habits starting January 1st (yep---New Years Resolution!) and so far I have lost 23 lbs (added to 7 that I lost between October and January by giving up fast food and soda).  I still have a lot to lose and a long way to go before I am back in the running shape that I used to be, but I am so glad I have found people who are on the same journey I am!  Right now I am still on my treadmill indoors, but I am very much looking forward to outdoor running as soon as it warms up.  I have always found that I don't get the same workout on the treadmill that I do on the 'open road'.  It is soooo much harder, it seems, and I never get my 'second wind' on the treadmill like I do outdoors.  As a matter of fact, when I used to be a distance runner, I found that whatever I could do on the treadmill was twice as easy outdoors and therefore I could go at least twice as far.  So, I am anxiously awaiting warmer temps.

• tonyd0517 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010

mind if i join this thread?  i am 26y/o m.  just finished up w4d3 yesterday and felt great doing it!  nervously looking forward to w5d3.  i know i can handle the other two days of week 5.  i am definately noticing my "wind" improved in everyday activities, such as, chasing and wrestling with my 2 year old son.  my fiancee is looking to start an exercise program too, she seems to have it in her head that she just doesnt have time to do a program like this or that this program will be too difficult because she smokes.  i have tried to explain to her that this program eases you into things and that its very gradual, but she just never gives it a try.  any suggestions?

• Olive1118 Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 13, 2010

I would love to jump in and join this group, too!  I complete Week 3 yesterday and will be starting Week 4 tomorrow or Monday.  For some reason, the past few weeks I have found the first run of the week to be easy for me, but as the week goes on I have a harder and harder time not being exhausted by the end of the run.  I don't know if it's due to the fact that I usually have two rest days before I start a new week or if what I am eating each day effects my runs or if the added workouts I am doing is effecting my performance.  Has anyone else experienced this?

It is nice to read through other people's experiences with the program and to have a heads up for the weeks to come.  I also bought new running shoes when I began the program.  At first my feet were sore after wearing them, but then after a couple of runs they were infinitely more comfortable and I could tell a *huge* difference in the ease of my gait. I look forward to checking back in and seeing how everyone's running is progressing!

• Jenni2009 Expert 48 posts since
    May 8, 2009

Tony, once I re-read your post, I see that your fiance IS looking to do some form of exercise so I am editing my answer to you......it could be that she is just not into this form of excersize......running is not for everyone for sure!  It does seem to me that THIS program is a fairly quick thing to do....and is "easy" since it starts off so small in running times.   So, it makes sense to me but maybe she's just not a runner.

1 2 3 ... 25 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points