Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

9673 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2010 6:25 PM by Doc Tri
merrittcb Rookie 7 posts since
Mar 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 9, 2010 7:51 PM

Best Protein Powder Type for Triathletes???

There is so much information out there about protein powders, I became more confused after trying to research it than I was yesterday.  All the different kinds of proteins etc., I never knew about blew my mind.  Between whey, casein, isolate, and blends, I don't know what would be best.  So anyone that can help with what is the best kind of protein for a triathlete to take?

Thanks,

CBM

• HWKICVO Pro 51 posts since
    Nov 21, 2008
    1. Feb 10, 2010 11:14 AM (in response to merrittcb)
    Re: Best Protein Powder Type for Triathletes???

I can't recomend a particular brand of protein powder that would be good for triathletes but I do have some experience with protein powders from years past in another sport.  A standard protein powder is meant to build muscle, but for an endurance sport (like triathlon) you'll want a particular ratio of carbs & protein for solid recovery.  I knew guys who took Accelerade and/or Endurox during cross country & track.  These have a mix of protien and carbs and are meant for recovery just like straight-up protein shakes are, but are geared for endurance sports.

Basically whey is a byproduct of cheese and casein is a protein that comes from milk.  In my experience whey protien powders have worked better but it's a matter of preference.  A couple years back, I used to drink Champion Pure Whey after weight workouts (for a strength-based sport) and I liked that one.  Some other brands have extra stuff in there and the flavors are nasty...and I mean nasty.  Things to watch out for would be the number of calories, preservatives, carbs, etc in the mixes.  Keep in mind these supplements aren't regulated by the FDA so you should be mindful of what else is put in there and what it can/claims to do.

It may sound funny but regular chocolate milk has a pretty good mix of protein and carbs for a post-workout recovery drink.  The past couple years I've been drinking that after endurance and strength workouts and I like it a lot.  It's certainly cheaper than a supplement and it's way more tasty in my book.  Combine that and maybe a Zone or Cliff bar and you should have what you need after a workout.

Another important thing is that after a workout there's roughly a 45 minute window where your body is craving replenishment of protein, carbs, electrolytes, etc. and a drink is the fastest way to get that stuff into your body.  So if you're going to drink something, you'll get the most out of the nutrition if you take it right after the workout.

I don't know if that answered your question but I hope it helps.

• goosevzla Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    2. Feb 17, 2010 5:45 AM (in response to merrittcb)

100% Oats & Whey from Optimum Nutrition:

I have not used this for a long time but so far so good.  Mixes good, the Vanilla bean flavor is OK, and taste great with some fruit.  It has 24g of protein, 1.5 gr of Fat & 4 gr of Fiber. I take it as a quick breakfast some days and as a post workout.  The other good thing about it is the price, you should be able to finde it online for about 20-25 or buy it in a store for like 30-35. Ah no artificial flavors, sweeteners or colors.

Hope that helps.

• Echtomorph Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    3. Feb 19, 2010 6:42 PM (in response to merrittcb)

I use a stack of BSN products including their TRUMASS protein. For endurance training like a Triathlon you should always take a mix of Carbs and Protien to sustain energy and promote faster recovery. I take BSN NO Explode (pre workout), TRUMASS (during workout) and CELLMASS (post workout). I also buy a cheaper protien from  Walmart called Body Fortress to keep at work for between meals. It is really important to get your protein from food as well, I would suggest a 60% food and 40% supplement ratio! This will also help you retain lean muscle while cutting weight for your event. Everyone is different so try some of the cheapo stuff first (just watch the high calorie stuff) You can get 5.75lbs of TRUMASS for $35 (normally $55) at allstarhealth.com. Good luck at your next event.

• jasonmellet1 Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    5. Feb 20, 2010 7:51 AM (in response to merrittcb)

you want something with a 4:1 carb to protein ratio for after you big training session to help recovery of the muscles. your muscles use carbs to recover, not only protein.

speaking of which, i just got home from my workout and need to eat something

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    6. Feb 20, 2010 11:43 AM (in response to merrittcb)

I'd take into consideration your personal biology. Many people I know don't do too well with soy proteins, and even sometimes whey proteins, in which case, rice protien or hemp protein are good choices. I personally use an organic, goat derived whey protein made by Mt. Capra, called "Double Bonded Protein".

There is no official protein that is ideal for "triathletes". As mentioned in another person's response, you just want to make sure you get a carb:protein blend after workouts...

Ben

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• Doc Tri Expert 46 posts since
    Apr 4, 2008
    7. Feb 20, 2010 6:25 PM (in response to merrittcb)

I've read several studies about this subject.  Whey protein is supposed to be the best as far as building mass.  From what I remember it is followed by casein, egg and then soy protein.

You should be able to get the majority of your protein needs from your diet.  The experts argue about the proper amount of protein an athlete needs.  There was a good study by the National Institute of Health on this subject measuring specific chemical changes in the body.  They were able to determine when the body was not getting enough protein, getting too much protein and the protein level that showed a balance.  They found that 1.4gm of protein per kilogram body weight (0.63 gm of protein/pound body weight) was the ideal amount for an athlete.  So for a 155lbs. (70kg) athlete, 98gms of protein are needed.  A 198lbs. (90kg) athlete would need 126gms of protein.

Protein is found in many of the foods we eat that we don't think of as "protein" (bread, pasta, etc.).  Write down what you eat for the day and calculate your total protein intake.  If you still need more then use the supplement.

Carbohydrates are probably more improtant than the protein.  Triathletes probably have more of a problem with glycogen depletion than with inadequate protein intake.  I agree with the others about ingesting a recovery drink with carb:protein ratio of 4:1 immediately after a workout.  During the day, depending on your weight and the amount of exercising you do, you may easily need 400gms of carbs and could need well over 800gms of carbs.

Doc Tri

When it hurts, smile.

If it doesn't hurt, you're not going hard enough.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...