Skip navigation

2689 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2010 5:24 AM by MikeDaMarine08 RSS
JustinReinhart Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 10, 2010 6:10 PM

Help me with my list of 20 races "bucket list"

I've set a goal of running the "top" 20 races in the US. To explain, I don't mean the "best rated" in the magazines and I exclude those for which you have to qualify ie. no Boston Marathon (this is a list for any joe). Perhaps the best way to put it is I want to run the 20 races any accomplished runner would probably want to run before he retired (or in my case kicked the can). I've looked all over for a good list and can't find one.  Please offer some suggestions. Here is what I have so far (in no particular order, some I am not certain make the cut)...

1. Bix 7 miler

2. Mini Indi 1/2 marathon

3. Chicago Marathon

4. Marine Corps Marathon

5. Peachtree 10K

6. Army 10 Miler

7. New York City Marathon

8. Grandma's Marathon ??

9. Bolder Boulder 10K ??

10. Bay to Breakers, San Fransisco ??

11. Run through Hell, Michigan ??

• joshvc Amateur 15 posts since
    Feb 16, 2010
    1. Feb 16, 2010 11:20 AM (in response to JustinReinhart)
    Re: Help me with my list of 20 races "bucket list"

I like that list so far, although Boston will stay on my own list even though it's a qualifier.  For me, I'd also include the Big Sur International Marathon- it looks like an amazing run.  The Walt Disney World Marathon is a love it or hate it event- it's pretty unique, but also crowded and has been very cold in the last two years (first full weekend of January can still be chilly in Florida).  Las Vegas is also on my list, up and down the Strip.

c25k began 1/4/2010 at 241 lbs.

Latest Weigh-In 231.0 lbs.

Finished: It's For The Kids 5k February 27 - 35:49

Upcoming: Run For Your Life 5k March 20 | Run For The Trees 5k April 24

• tattooedangelwings Amateur 38 posts since
    Nov 7, 2007
    2. Feb 18, 2010 4:00 PM (in response to joshvc)

I would suggest the rock'n'roll half marathon in Virginia Beach. It's a fun race, lots of people, great support, flat, fast course and has bands all along the way. It's beautiful to finish the last couple of miles on the boardwalk running right along the ocean. Afterward you can take off your shoes, dig your toes in the sand or even just jump in the ocean.

Another great half marathon is the Fleet Week Half on the Norfolk Naval Base. The entire half marathon is run on the base (public is allowed) and you get to see the worl'ds largest Naval Base, running past all the ships. It's also a flat, fast course and being held in October, the weather is usually really nice.They offer kids races as well and activities for the whole family so its a fun day for everyone.

Do you want to run one of the most unique races ever? If you like things out of the ordinary, and even more if your an E.T. fan, you have to go to NV for the E.T. Full Moon Marathon (or half) that's held about 2.5 hours from Las Vegas, near area 51. The race starts at midnight and you run in desert with headlamps. After you finish they serve a full breakfast spead at the Little Alien resturant. Of course they give out alien them medals and I think they have a costume contest as well. It's quite an experience.

I also would suggest the Garden Spot Villiage Marathon in New Holland, PA. It's a small marathon (they also offer a half) and you get to run through Amish countryside and farms. There are lots of rolling hills, miles of fields, and you'll see more buggies than cars. It's not the pick if you need a lot of crowd support, but it's beautiful, peaceful and I loved it.

The last race I have to add is an ultra, but it is by far the most beautiful place I have ever run. It's the Can Lake 50 (they also have a 50k) and if you do the 50 you run around the entire lake. It's held in upstate NY in the fall, and the colors were magnificant. It was like running through a postcard. It's an all road race and I would run it again just to enjoy the beauty.

I've run lots of races, but those are some that really stick out in my mind as being unique and have a charm all their own.

Run Strong!

Dana

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,268 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

The Indy Mini and Big Sur are on my wish list.  I'm assuming you're stopping at the marathon distance.

- Walt Disney World is great particularly if you like Disney

- Pikes Peak marathon or half-marathon (the half, I believe, only goes up)

- Grandfather Mountain Marathon

- Broad Street 10-Mile

- Philadelphia Distance Run (now the Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon)

- Antarctica Marathon

- Bryce Canyon Half Marathon

Probably more but not coming to mind.

Len

Len

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007

Justin,

I will tell you the run thru hell in Aug is a great race and the shirt to prove it are even better, I only live about 15 miles from Hell and ran that race in in 2008 there is a 4 miler ( which is for Weinies, it says it on the shirt) and the 10 miler. I did the 10 miler. it was cancel in 09 because of a illness in the family that hosts it, but hopefully it wil be back this summer, would love to run it again, people run it for the shirt!!!

I would say the only 2 marathons I will do some day is the Airforce in Dayton Ohio but the one that should make your list is the Bataan Memorial Death march at the White Sands missile range in NM it happens in March and go to the Website to see it.....

Goodluck

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• oldcorp Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 12, 2010

I cant give you much as I havent run in any races in a very, very long time, but one I want to race in this year is the Marine Corps 17.75K in June. It is being held in Virginia at the National Marine Corps Museum. So that one is on my short list. Also the Flying Pig in Cincinnati. Good luck!

• drago65 Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
  • joelfortner Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007

I live in southern middle Tennessee and there's a new half marathon in Lynchburg April 3 called the Oak Barrel Half Marathon (www.oakbarrelhalf.com) and it's sponsored by Jack Daniel. Who needs bagels and bananas for recovery when you can have a shot of Single Barrel! Woo hoo!

• iRunDetroit Expert 45 posts since
    Feb 12, 2010

I am currently training for the Detroit Free Pressmarathon. This will be my first half marathon and it looks very exciting. You run accross the U.S. / Canadian border twice. Once over the bridge and the other is through the tunnel. Being from Detroit this really caught my eye and is giving me the motivation to train for it.

iRunDetroit.com blog  |  iRunDetroit on Atlinks

• gquick Amateur 8 posts since
    Feb 8, 2010
    9. Mar 22, 2010 11:50 AM (in response to JustinReinhart)

I haven't run it, but the Monument Avenue 10K in Richmond gets rave reviews and I think it is hard to overlook Disney. I wouldn't include the Army 10-Miler simply because it's too similar to the Marine Corps Marathon and not as prestigious. Baltimore is another marathon that is growing fast and is well organised.

Not sure if the list is generic or personal, but I think a home-town race is a must for any runner.

I think the must haves are NY, Chicago, Boston (sorry, couldn't help myself!), Grandma's, MCM and Bay to Breakers.

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    10. Mar 22, 2010 12:49 PM (in response to gquick)

Gate River Run.  Get seeded!  Have fun!

• BPS1976 Amateur 34 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008

Philly Marathon/Half Marathon (I "just" did the half, and it was really enjoyable.)

http://earnyourdonuts.blogspot.com/

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008

Justin,

Enjoy!

1. Boston – Because it is the Holy Grail of Marathons
    2. Marine Corps Marathon – My first and favorite Marathon, I will continue to run this one every year, God willing.
    3. Athens – I know that you said US but this is a must add for any marathon list.  Where it all began
    4. Disney World Marathon – A chance to include the family in the marathon fun.
    5. Big Sur Marathon – I have heard that this is one of the most beautiful.
    6. New York Marathon – 43,000+ finishers in 2009, largest in the world, be part of the insanity J
    7. Bataan Death March – A race that has some significant history and a special meaning.
    8. Chicago Marathon – 33,000+ in 2009 Another big one
    9. Los Angeles Marathon – Lost some of it’s luster, but still one of the “big ones”
    10. Honolulu Marathon – A beautiful place to visit.
    11. Shamrock Marathon – Flat, fast course with plenty of free beer after.
    12. Grandma’s Marathon -
    13. Surf City Marathon – The Medal is really cool!
    14. RNR Philly Distance Run – Finish at the same steps that Rocky ran.
    15. RNR Virginia Beach – 20,000+ Runners in “Da Beach”
    16. Ukrops 10K
    17. Green Bay Marathon – Finish at Lambeau Field
    18. Detroit Marathon – Run through the tunnel into Canada.
    19. Cherry Blossom 10 Miler – Sells out fast every year, so I figure that it has to be good.
    20. Disney Land Marathon – Run this and Disney World, receive a “coast to coast” medal.

Mike

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K