Skip navigation

4117 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2010 10:14 AM by cannabis RSS
zebUSCG Expert 38 posts since
Nov 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 12, 2010 7:24 AM

Giving a bicycle a makeover…

Hi, received this Fuji Sundance 2000. The bike is about 3 to 4 years old. Never really used the bike maybe for two months back in the summer, but then had problems with the gears not shifting. Was going to head to the local bike shop for repairs just never did it. The frame is sturdy, and solid hasn’t been used that much. Bike is still good though some things would like to change. With the pedals, wheels, and new gears or fix the gears. Couple questions I know nothing about bicycles, especially terminology. If I am looking to do some riding would like to know how to work on it, and do quick fixes. If anyone can recommend a book to help explain the bicycle and how to do repairs be great. First question is it possible to take apart the gears, and replace them? Would look into purchasing a new bike be the better solution than to replace parts on the bike? If remodeling the bike would look to replace the pedals, seat, gears and chains, and the tires. Thanks for any feedback.

• LTownAllez Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 13, 2010
    1. Feb 13, 2010 5:02 PM (in response to zebUSCG)
    Re: Giving a bicycle a makeover…

First of all, trying to piece together a bike with new parts can get incredibly expensive.  Even lower end wheelsets can run into the $300 range, seats easily excede $100, pedals and chains should be reasonably priced.

My guess for the bike not shifting would most likely be dirty and/or un-oiled chain and gears.  If you're mechanicaly inclined, go ahead and take those pieces off the bike and scrub them down.  If you're not especially handy with a wrench, take to your LBS (Local Bike Shop) and have them give it a tune-up, usually around $30 or so for a basic.

As far as learning how to maintain your bike, I would recomend heading into your LBS.  Most have classes for just that, some even offer them free.  If nothing else, I'm sure the mechanic would be more than willing to let you pick his brain for help.

• kenjohn Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 16, 2010
    2. Feb 16, 2010 5:49 PM (in response to LTownAllez)

First your bike needs a tune up from your local shop.  Then ride the bike, buy cycling magazines and ride the bike to realize just what kind of bike you really want. Then buy that typeof bike from your local shop. Keep the old one around as beater bike.

• lou6863 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 26, 2010
    3. Feb 23, 2010 7:45 AM (in response to zebUSCG)

I completely agree with the prior posts. Take you bike into the Local Bike shop (LBS) and let them tune it up. Then once it is set up right you can get on you tube and go to "bicycle Village" They have tons of short films that will teach you how to maintain your bike. Riding bikes that are not tuned can be a tiring and unpleasant thing. If you are determined to do the initial repairs yourself: be sure to fully clean all componenets and then only adjust one thing at a time. Good luck and have fun!

• cannabis Amateur 15 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010
    4. Mar 9, 2010 10:04 AM (in response to zebUSCG)

downsized_0812091631.jpg  I can't wait to come to your race! I'm so jazzed to the max! I wish you could see my face rite now, I've never dun this in my hole life also my first race & never rode a bike So I'm just over joyed to come so you will see me just look for the happiest man there .

question about a place to stay? Should I make a reservation for a place now 03/09/2010 do to I'll bet it's going to be real hard to find a place if I wait do you have any ideas, for a disabled man the main matter is getting shower I can get in to.

Here is my web-address : hollywoodwhiteboy@sbcglobal.net & phone # (323) 851-7129 & also my cell (323) 401-5377 God Bless you for having this I'll keep coming till i flat out can not ant more.

Mr. Brook alan Campbell

downsized_0812091631.jpgWell this is Mr. Cannabis / for short this is my first go for it but as you can see I have a hand crank FREEDOM-RYDER.

it's brand new & as you can see one my face I'm digging life as we all should! wright? if there is anyone out there ho would like to race with me I'd realy like to have a partner if you would like to get in touch with me via e-mail hollywoodwhiteboy@sbcglobal.net or call me (323)851-7129.

I need to know the in's & out of the race & what I need to buy? this is Mr. cannabis sining off Peace out! well I see there is no one ho wants to race with me! So to all have a great day & I hope to see you at the Beach in Santa Monica,CA.90403

• cannabis Amateur 15 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010
    5. Mar 9, 2010 10:14 AM (in response to lou6863)

downsized_0812091631.jpgCAN YOU DO A TRICKED OUT PAINTING ON IT? MAKE IT REAL COOL LOOKING OK GUY PEACE OUT SEE YOU THERE I'LL BE DRIVING A HHR-LT07 SILVER I'M A LITTLE GUY 4/6

Attachments:

downsized_0812091631.jpgWell this is Mr. Cannabis / for short this is my first go for it but as you can see I have a hand crank FREEDOM-RYDER.

it's brand new & as you can see one my face I'm digging life as we all should! wright? if there is anyone out there ho would like to race with me I'd realy like to have a partner if you would like to get in touch with me via e-mail hollywoodwhiteboy@sbcglobal.net or call me (323)851-7129.

I need to know the in's & out of the race & what I need to buy? this is Mr. cannabis sining off Peace out! well I see there is no one ho wants to race with me! So to all have a great day & I hope to see you at the Beach in Santa Monica,CA.90403

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...