Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4991 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2010 12:04 PM by LoraGen
LoraGen Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2010 12:46 PM

Running after knee arthroscopy

As I began training for my first Sprint Triathlon, which will be held in mid April, I ended up having arthroscopic knee surgery on January 15th. Two weeks ago I began to start back with training, swimming and cycling, and walking only. I have two more weeks before I can start to even think about running. I have a fear of reinjury (after all, this is my 2nd arthroscopy). What is the best approach to beginning running so that I can avoid reinjury? I really want to make it to my first Tri in April!!

• jasonmellet1 Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    1. Feb 18, 2010 4:00 PM (in response to LoraGen)
    Re: Running after knee arthroscopy

at the end of last season, i had an ACL sprain and swelling in my knee joint. i had the issue as well of how much i could run when i started training again. along the way i came across kinesiology tape which has really helped a lot. I believe in the product so much now that i have actually started selling it myself here in the dallas area.

i started really slow and short. a few months down the line now and i have just signed up for a 70.3 in may. to date i have only done 2 sprint races but my kinesiology tape has given me the confidence and comfort that i am now running up to 6 miles and get stronger every week.

if you would like me to send you a sample, please let me know, there will be absolutely no cost to you at all.

you can have a look at the product and watch some of the videos at the link below.

i hope all goes well, keep us updated as to how things go.

there was also a study i saw a few weeks ago about walking on a very steep incline on the treadmill and how is has the same biomechanics and benefits as if you were running. that is a good low impact way to train.

good luck

• Doc Tri Expert 46 posts since
    Apr 4, 2008
    2. Feb 20, 2010 4:07 PM (in response to LoraGen)

How fast you come back depends a lot on what the orthopedic surgeon did during the arthroscopy.  Was it a meniscal (cartilage) tear and they just trimmed out the bad part, did they trim or remove scar tissue, did they clean up they cartilaginous surfaces of the femur or patella, or did they have to repair a ligament?  If it was one of the first 3 things I mentioned, you'll come back suprisingly fast but don't rush it.  You may not reinjure your knee but it may swell and become painful.  Continue to do your walking and build up slowly running.  Increase your running mileage 1/2 mile every 2 weeks if you can until you are up to your Tri distance.  For example: if you are walking 30 minutes, walk 15 minutes, run for 1/2 mile (5 minutes), then walk another 10 minutes.  Do this for 2 weeks and then increase to 1 mile running (walk 15minutes, run 1 mile or 10 minutes, walk 5 minutes).  Continue this pattern until you are up to your specific distance.

If it was a ligament injury, you will have to take it much slower.

Doc Tri

When it hurts, smile.

If it doesn't hurt, you're not going hard enough.

• trimomof6 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 20, 2008
    3. Feb 22, 2010 8:51 AM (in response to LoraGen)

I had an acl replacement one year ago in January, I started to run very slowly kinda a old man shuffle after 3 weeks (against medical advice) but have not have had any problems you need to be sure that your leg is strong in the quads and the calf before trying any running though. I did a sprint tri in June of that same year and finish strong. Good luck to you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points