Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1677 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2010 9:58 PM by janecleveland
janecleveland Rookie 3 posts since
Aug 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2010 8:14 PM

Help with injury

Hi all,

I started the C25K last sep(08) and loving every minute of it. I ran 3xweek until Nov09 when I changed shoes and tried to increase my mileage to 3 miles at every run. I had right hip and back pain off and on through the year but managed it with chiropractic help and religiously stretching. I don't know what I did in Nov by  Dec had to stop running altogether. Have been seeing the chiropractor regularly for the last 4wks, getting on the elliptical and walking. My hip flexors really bother me. flares up out of the blue. anyone have any ideas for me? I am desperate to get back to some running. 

• D-Nichols Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 3, 2010
    1. Feb 14, 2010 8:51 PM (in response to janecleveland)
    Re: Help with injury

Hi,

I have been dealing with hip pain for years. They make a roller that will work out your hip flexer area and you should be able to find one at any running store. I also take bio flex with 5 loxin (suplement) which seems to help. I tried yoga which helped tremeduosly as well. I would also recomed you get fitted for your shoes to make sure they are right for you and try to run on dirt for awhile if possiable. I started taking ice baths after my long runs which help with recovery time and reduces my stiffnes after running. For me its mostly genitic I'm sure of it,  but I refuse to quite running!

D

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    2. Feb 17, 2010 9:49 PM (in response to janecleveland)
    Re: Help with injury

Do you sit a lot during the day?  As more of us do our work at computers all day we end up sitting much of the day.

My PT says the single biggest issue he sees consistently is lazy/unengaged gluteus maximus.  He also said (and I've seen it confirmed in the work he has done with/on me over the years) that sometimes the root problem is on the opposite side from where the symptoms/pain are.  I'm pretty wildly speculating, but if you do sit a lot it's possible the hip flexors aren't really the problem, but rather gluteus maximus.  In addition to the foam rolling you might look at doing some hip/glute strengthening such as lunges, etc.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...