Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

108703 Views 569 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2010 11:40 PM by LemonaidLucy Go to original post 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 Previous Next
  • huckie Pro 78 posts since
    Jul 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    540. Sep 9, 2010 3:11 AM (in response to rbrouill)
    Re: Mighty Masters Continuing on from C25k...

Hi All,

I just graduated from C25K tonight and I'm mighty proud of myself. Now that I have finished I need to improve my distance as I am quite slow and I'm not quite running 5km yet.

So my goals are to actually run 5km and hopefully improve my speed overtime. I have also just found a few fun run events that vary between 3-6km and I plan to start doing them.

I have been thinking of doing the bridge to 10km program but I'm not ready for that yet, I think I need a few weeks to work on the 5km run and then I'll see how I feel.

Anyway, it is an absolute pleasure to be able to join you here

Mama to 2 little people

Horse rider and now runner

• debwro Expert 59 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010
    541. Sep 9, 2010 4:13 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Good Job Jess!!!  It feels so good to run a race and really shave off time and still feel good afterit is over!!  Enjoy some hiking days--makes for good cross training.  I am hoping that one day I can hike the rim of Tahoe--at least part of it.  Seems like right now most of my hiking days are spent on the AT but one day I will finish it!!

Good for you Nole on your 5K!

Susan enjoy your trip!

Yesterday morning I had the best run I have had in 3 weeks and I started thinking that maybe just maybe I can actually meet my goal time at the marathon--we will see!  8 miles and 6 of them were at 10:10- 10:20 pace with the last mile at my goal pace and my heart rate was good and I was even talking to the friend I ran with.  Who would have ever thought I could actually talk and run that pace!!!  And I felt great after.  Long run is Saturday and it is 16 miles--for some reason I have a mental block on those long runs. After becoming somewhat dehydrated on a long run in early August I seem to be more concerned about hydration and everytime one of my water bottles empties I start looking for a place to fill it up.  Saturday I will have 4 bottles attached to my belt and hopefully I can put that out of my mind.

Marie--take care of that hip.  You will be back "on the run" before you realize it.

Hope every one has a great run this weekend!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    542. Sep 9, 2010 8:36 AM (in response to debwro)

Huckie, Welcome to the MM and congrats on finishing the C25k!

RB, take it easy on the sore hips.......from someone who knows.

Deb, you are doing awesome. I know you are getting excited about the HM coming up!

Susan, Tailand....woohoo, what an exciting trip. Have fun and think of us when you work in a run.

I'm riding my stationary bike 60 min every day. It doesn't hurt the hip and then do some core work and stretching afterward.

Have a great day everyone.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• torunagn Legend 325 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    543. Sep 9, 2010 4:11 PM (in response to Nole8403)

Jo Ann - good luck with your triathlon this coming weekend.  I am really impressed by your training runs.  I don't think I've ever pulled off negative splits.  You know your running capabilities very well when you are able to do that.

Nole - congratulations on completing your first 5K and even beating your goal time.

Jess - your hard work and training really paid off.  So happy for your for your new PR, and it sounds like you really had fun, too. Nice not having the sun beating down on you.  I think walking through the water stops really is a good idea.  It gives you a short recovery and more importantly, keeps you from wearing your drink.  At least, that's how it is for me.  I tried running through a water stop once, and wound up with most of my water on my face and running down my chin onto my shirt.  Luckily it was warm out that day.

Huckie - congratulations on finishing C25K.  Your idea of participating in some fun run events is a great way to stay motivated to keep running now that you have graduated.

Debwro - nice pace on your long runs.  I agree, once you dehydrate on a run, it is in the back of your mind.  I did that last year on my 18 miler; I felt so sick in those last few miles.  Made me real nervous about my 20, because I was afraid of it happening again.  I carried my 4 bottle hydration belt and in addition, my husband met me at a couple of points along my course with additional fluids, gels, etc.  The 20 miler went much better.  I hope your 16 miles this weekend goes well for you.

Marie - good for you for staying with what you can for now.  If your doctor has okayed it, have you tried the water running you spoke about?  If there is a "Y" near you, they usually offer water running/walking classes several times a week.  I would think that other health clubs offer this also.

I've only run once this week, and that was yesterday, and only because I had previously committed to do the Wednesday night fun run with a couple of friends.  I completed my very first metric century bike ride (62 miles) on Sunday.  The course was very hilly.  I'm not sure which were worse, the uphills, or the very scary, steep, curving downhills.  The course was a beautiful, rural road course and well marked.  The aid stations were well supplied and staffed, and good, plentiful food at the end.  Weather was perfect.  My knee was none the worse for it.  My run yesterday - my legs felt like jelly for the first half-mile, and I wasn't sure I should be out there.  Then they settled down, and I was able to complete my 3 mile run at my usual pace, so I was very satisfied with that.  It was interesting to look back at my Garmin training record from a fun run on the same course earlier this summer.  Even though my pace has remained the same, I saw a considerable improvement in heart rate.  At my age, that can't be a bad thing.

Everyone enjoy your running.  Hope it is cooling off for those of you who have been running in the heat.  We were at 49 degrees this morning!

C25K Completed 05/05/10

2011 Races: 5K - 1/16/11 - 33:40; 5K - 1/30/11 - 32:02; 2/12/11 - 5 Mile - 58:07; 2/27/11 - 5K - 32:54; 3/19/11 - 5K - 32:29

2010 Races: 5K - 12/31/10 - 32:53; 5K - 11/28/10 - 32:19; 5K - 8/14/10 - 32:57; 4 Mile - 7/4/10 - 44:58; 5K - 6/23/10 - 33:28; 5K - 6/5/10 - 33:12

• Detress Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 7, 2010
    544. Sep 9, 2010 6:57 PM (in response to disneygal2)

I quit smoking after 24 years on March 10, 2010 and graduated C25k 4 months later. Running in my first 5k race this Sunday and starting Gateway to 8k on Tuesday. Its great to be here with all of you!!

• WaldorfSalad Expert 42 posts since
    Jun 12, 2006
    545. Sep 9, 2010 9:17 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Howdy, Masters!

Like huckie, I finished C25K today. Woo!  I've done the entire program running for time instead of distance, so I'm not running a full 5k in 30 minutes yet. My pace is currently around 12:30 over 30 minutes of running.  So, my plan is to spend the next month or so working on my pace, concentrating on bumping my cadence up.  As a certified horse at 6'5" and 200+, I've had a tendency to overstride in the past. This has previously led to a nasty bout of runner's knee.

This time around with C25K, I've been determined not to let that happen, so I've been really concentrating on form, trying to keep my feet underneath me and avoid heel-striking. It seems to be working well. I'm running around 78 strides a minute now, and I'm trying to concentrate on bumping that up to 85 or so, which should improve my pace as well. I can maintain that cadence for a few minutes at a pop now, so I think I'm not too far out.

So, nice to meet y'all, and I hope to be posting in this thread for a while.

• JustSarah Amateur 13 posts since
    Sep 11, 2010
    546. Sep 11, 2010 3:57 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Morning All -

You have another new poster -- and one with a question.

I resumed running again in July (after stopping and starting several times over the past 20 years).  I was in decent shape, and was able to run an hour a day (most days of the week) by mid-August. I run fairly slowly (it's more like an 11 mph jog) and try to take short strides. I am often sore and sometimes feel a twinge here and there, but no limping, etc.  None of this bothered me until I started reading more about running.  Now, I am far, far more concerned about injury, particularly after learning after-the-fact that I probably was doing too much, too soon.  So, I am scaling it back, trying to run less than 6 days a week, and to only go for the hour run once or twice a week, while folding in some strength training.  Trouble is: I want to run 6 days a week and I want to run long. Any thoughts out there on how to distinguish between normal sore (for someone who is 47 and building up her skills) and over-use sore?  Is it too soon for me to run 5 miles a day with some frequency?

I'll confess, I didn't read all 37 or so pages of messages on this string, so if this has been asked-and-answered, please feel free to refer me back to an earlier discussion.

Thanks -- and I am so glad to find this board and how others are training, etc.  It's very helpful and encouraging.

Sarah

Witch City 5K, 10/24/10 - 31:48

America's Hometown Thanksgiving 5K, 11/21/10 - 29:51

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    547. Sep 11, 2010 12:11 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Congratulations, Jess!

I've been reading Hal Higdon's book on running for Masters (that's us ), and he talked about walking through water breaks. He did that during the World Master's Championship marathon in New Zealand, and observed that he lost seven seconds at each stop -- but later passed the runners who had gained on him by running through the stops. He also won his age group (M45) and finished at 2:29:27, the first time he broke 2:30.

Marie, hang in there!

I think you're absolutely right to cross train. I know that that was important for me when I was injured.

Welcome to all the new posters, and good job on the running!

Sarah, we're not experts, but we've had a few injuries between us, and I'm not sure that the experts are omniscient. Having said that, I think that you may be putting yourself at higher risk for an injury by trying to run long every day when you've only been back running for several weeks. Had you been building up to running  -- regular walking, cycling, etc? -- that might make a difference. Anyway, my suggestion for what it's worth is to either run slowly enough that you're not sore the next day, or to take a day off after every one or two running days if you are sore -- and either way, don't run "hard" more than once a week. Don't forget to warm up. When I read about injuries it seems that all too often the cause is figured out in hindsight. Good luck.

I've been mostly doing "bread and butter" running (I can't figure out the difference between tempo run, lactic acid threshhold, "comfortably hard" vs. hardly comfortable). I thought about a 5K on 9/4, but hurricane Earl was passing through and the forecast was for rain ending at 10 a.m., with the race starting at 8 a.m. I hate to run with sloshy feet, and it would have been a 45 minute drive (if I didn't get lost) to get there, so I didn't register. It was just as well, as I ended up being up most of the night before, and I would have had to run with almost nothing to eat since the early afternoon the day before. I prefer to run about an hour after breakfast. Then there was a 10K this morning, but it would have meant an hour and a half drive. I have also had a twingy right ankle, so I'd rested on Thursday and used yesterday to see how it did. I ended up running really well, but too well to really prepare for a race (and the ankle got a little twingier). Instead I ran 7 miles this morning through the woods on mostly dirt roads, and enjoyed myself.

I am not looking forward to winter, or even colder weather. Here in Maine I've managed to not have to run in temperatures above the high 70s even when it got into the 90s later in the day. Once it gets down below 50s I have to start adding layers, and it's too cold (for me) to run in shorts. I think, though that I'll borrow from Debwro (your daughter who suggested it, I believe), and use the colder weather to just do regular maintenance running, and not work on speed until it gets to be spring again.

good running to everyone,

Robin

Sep 11, 2010
    548. Sep 11, 2010 12:39 PM (in response to RobinfromMaine)

Thanks, Robin.  I am taking more rest days now and I warm up  (with a 10-minute walk) and cool down (another 10-minute walk) and stretch (some when I get home.)  I was in shape when I started running, in part because I live car-free in Boston and walk everywhere, even in the dead of winter, and in part because I was doing workout tapes pretty consistently.  (Those made me sore, too!)   And, I have to correct a hilarious typo from this morning -- I am not running 11 mph, I am running between 10 and 11 minute miles

• debwro Expert 59 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010
    549. Sep 12, 2010 1:49 PM (in response to RobinfromMaine)

Robin I read Hal Higdon's book on marathon training and recommend it to any runner even if they never plan to do a marathon.  I have followed his training plans for both a half and full marathon as well as his advice.  I walk through the water stop even when running 15K distance and I have found, especially in half marathons and marathons (haven't done 15K in 2 years) that I still manage to stay with the pace group and that many in the pace group will drop out just past halfway point in race while I am able to finish strong and I still manage to meet my target overall pace.

Sarah, my daughter is a running coach and she insists on everyone in any of her programs take 2 days a week off.  For those who must do something every day, she has them cross train (swim, bike, or walk) one day and one day of total rest.  It gives the body a chance to repair and heal itself and it keeps you from getting sore.  If you are getting soreness you might try foam rolling--it works. The runners in my running group  run 5 days a week and we are best friends with our foam rollers--even take them with us when traveling. 

Robin, you will probably laugh and call me a wuz but I don't run in shorts once it is below 60*--too cold for this southern girl.  The stretch capris come out and the long sleeve shirts and I become a master at layering.  Last year my daughter snapped a picture as I ran past with a Buff over my lower face, a hat, sunglasses, and 2 shirts tied around my waist.  I was running downtown and she told her Dad that he needed to watch how I was dressed so I didn't get picked up as a homeless person or a burglar.  The picture is kind of funny.

Okay so 16 miles yesterday and 6 today--man my legs were talking to me by the time I got home.  But it is all good--the last big build up before the cut back in 4 weeks.  40-46 mile weeks coming up.  Can't believe my marathon is only 7 weeks away!  I am so excited!  And this week i will be in DC and will do all of my runs along the marathon course!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Sep 11, 2010
    550. Sep 13, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to debwro)

Thanks Debwro - I am scaling back the running.  Yesterday, I dusted off the bike.  (It was literally dusty.) I had a lovely 90-minute ride (fairly leisurely, too.)  And, today a 4-mile run. And, I am folding in strength training.  I still have migrating aches and pains, but nothing that seems to limit me much.  I also ordered a foam roller because I'm going to try all reasonable methods to avoid injury.  I appreciate the tips.  It's also inspiring to hear about others who are further along.  I can't imagine running 16 miles, much less a marathon, but who knows what the future holds.

Mar 21, 2010
    551. Sep 16, 2010 6:58 PM (in response to JustSarah)

JustSarah - I am once again becoming best friends with my foam roller.  I know how much it helps me, but somehow, when my legs are not bothering me, I tend not to use it.  I think if I used it regularly, it would prevent a lot of aches and pains.

Jo Ann - just read your triathlon report in another thread - congratulations!  Even though you said you didn't do as well as you would have liked on the run portion, it sounds like you really did a good job on your bike ride.  Glad the storms held off until after your event.

C25K Completed 05/05/10

2011 Races: 5K - 1/16/11 - 33:40; 5K - 1/30/11 - 32:02; 2/12/11 - 5 Mile - 58:07; 2/27/11 - 5K - 32:54; 3/19/11 - 5K - 32:29

2010 Races: 5K - 12/31/10 - 32:53; 5K - 11/28/10 - 32:19; 5K - 8/14/10 - 32:57; 4 Mile - 7/4/10 - 44:58; 5K - 6/23/10 - 33:28; 5K - 6/5/10 - 33:12

• dih330 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 23, 2010
    552. Sep 23, 2010 10:24 AM (in response to torunagn)

Hi All. Another Newbie here (if you'll have me).

My husband and I finished the C25K program in September and ran our first Race that Labor Day.   I finished it in 45 minutes - he ran it in 32.   I'm now working towards finishing the race in less time.  We are continuing to run three times a week (and adding a day of strength training on the off days).  I work full time, and we have a toddler -- so, that schedule is about all I can handle at the moment.    Question for you all -- in an effort to improve our times, we were told to do: 1 day of interval training, 1 day of running for fun, 1 day of running for distance.   I'm still very new to running (I was that kid in high school who walked the mile). So, any more advice would be helpful.  I have to add: I'm very overweight, which I realize is one of the reasons why my time was so slow, so, I'm also working on healthy eating.   I still really don't like the running part - but, I LOVE the feeling I get after running.  You really feel like a million bucks when you achieve something you never in your life thought you would achieve.

• rbrouill Amateur 12 posts since
    Feb 26, 2009
    553. Sep 23, 2010 8:13 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi everyone and welcome to all the new posters!

dih330 - Congrats on finishing the program and your first 5K! The running will get easier as you keep going. For me, it is a great feeling of accomplishment and makes me feel happy!!

Last weekend, my family did a 5K together - so cool! My older sister and I had finished the C25K in August and Dad finished it a few weeks later (he just turned 70 in August and had a triple bi-pass about 6 years ago). So this was the first race for all of us together. My brother came as Dad's running buddy and helped him keep his pace. Two of my sisters' kids ran (her daughter ran the 10K). My nine year old daughter ran (and beat me). My mom and other sister walked. I'm so proud of them all!

Monday's run wasn't great. I missed Wednesday's run because of Open House (I'm a teacher), so I got up and ran this morning before work. I decided to try some intervals. I actually went back to the C25K app on my ipod and played ... I think it was Week 4...only I jogged instead of walked. When he said run, I ran faster. So I jogged the 5min warm up. I ran faster for the 5 min parts (ok - that was hard for me - kept looking at my time and gave myself huge pep talks) and then jogged instead of walking the 3 min between each run. I was suprised that it cut over a min off my Monday run time and I think I may be able to pick up the pace a little more. Looking forward to a 5K this Sat. I invited my fifth grade class to bring their families and come join me! I hope some do!

C25K started 6/14/10
    Graduated C25K 8/13/10

Finished my first ever 5K 8/22/10 (not officially timed - around 37min according to my iPod)

Finished Oktoberfest 5K 9/18/10 (34min 07sec) Proud to run with my sister, brother, 9year old daughter, 70year old dad, and my niece and nephew!
    Finished Komen Race for the Cure 5K 10/10/10 (32min 31sec) Ran in celebration of my sister and mother-in-law!

Mar 21, 2010
    554. Oct 2, 2010 6:35 PM (in response to rbrouill)

Hi - how's everyone doing?  This thread seems to have gone quiet.  I really have nothing new to report.  I am only running 2-3 times/week, 3 miles at a time.  I have been fighting some foot and ankle pain, which finally seems to be resolving. Our local running club had their last fun run of the season a few weeks ago, and I broke an overall time I have been trying all summer to break (although not by much).  Marie, don't know if you are viewing as your hip heals.  I hope that is going well for you.  Jo Ann - you were going to be running a half-marathon at the end of September. Did you enjoy it?

C25K Completed 05/05/10

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...