Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

103208 Views 569 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2010 11:40 PM by LemonaidLucy RSS 1 2 3 ... 38 Previous Next
disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
Sep 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 15, 2010 11:50 AM

Mighty Masters Continuing on from C25k...

Hi everyone!

This is a thread for those of us in the "masters" category that have completed Couch to 5K and are continuing our journey!   Let's share our experiences, plans and results here!

I finished Couch to 5k the end of November and did my first 5k Thanksgiving day.  My first 10K was Feb 7...  I am currently planning on maintaining my miles for a week or 2.  Right now I do 3 runs a week of 4, 4, and 6 for a total of 14 miles.  I am doing my 4 mile runs on a kind of hilly trail to work on strength.  When I do my "longer" run I try to stay on a pretty flat course and work more on endurance. I have an advantage over many right now as I am in CA and the trails and roads are clear to run.  I admire all of you that manage to stay at this is cold and wet weather climates.

My long term goal is to do the Disney half marathon in September. I am also working on losing weight.. I have lost about 10lbs and still have 20 to 30 more to go.  It's been my experience that the running does NOT take the weight off.. it is what you eat along with that that determines which way the scale moves.

Please join in and tell what your current plans are.

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• Megnetic Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    1. Feb 15, 2010 1:14 PM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: Mighty Masters Continuing on from C25k...

Hi Jess

I graduated from C25K in early December and celebrated with a 5K.  I then followed the One Hour Runner plan and celebrated finishing that with a 5 mile run a week ago.

At present I'm trying to consolidate on that mileage and make it a habit.  I have a 10K planned in May in Edinburgh, Scotland (I took up running after watching my husband and daughter run in the same race last year).

I'd be glad to hear anyone's advice on how to speed up a little.  Or should I be content with maintaining my current pace and building up the distance?

Meg

Meg

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    3. Feb 15, 2010 4:15 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Thanks Jess for "continuing". I'll be around as soon as I can get back out pounding the pavement and over this hip problem. It is feeling much better, but think I need to give it a few more days to heal. I'm working out on the stionary bike, strength, and stretching .  The lack of a good warmup and adequate stretching is what I thm ink caused my problem.

I'm ready, actually past ready, for warmer weather and no snow.

BTW, I'll still check in on the other thread to encourage those beginning this wonderful journey.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    4. Feb 15, 2010 4:39 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Thanks Jess for starting this one...I think it will help to get encouragement and advice from people who are varying mileage and programs. I finished C25K December 28th....ran/walked my first 5k on thanksgiving which fell on week 5 day 3 the first 20 minute run...thought the crowd momentum would help do that first "long" run. Did another 5k January 3rd and then spent the rest of January making the 3 miles 3 times a week  a habit. My longterm goal is to run the San Diego rock n run half marathon in June with my son who lives down there. But here it is February and though I've been able to push the mileage up to 4 miles all through last week I am finding a wall today when I should have gone for 5....only hit 2.5 and I was done...decided I had run 4 saturday, did 1 1/2 hour yoga class Sunday so today I just let it go!

Have to work tomorrow so planning a longer run wednesday morning then take off until saturday and try to hit that 5 miler saturday......does that sound like a good plan or not....advice please????????  Not sure if the wall is physical or mental!!

I am now scouting around the site for hopefully a 10k around st patrick's day....I also luckily live in northern california where we are being teased by spring like temps right now and believe me I use everyone being hit by cold temps and snow as  inspiration when I don't want to go out the door and hit the road!!

susan

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    6. Feb 15, 2010 9:00 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Great to see this thread.

I graduated C25K around February 5 and started the One Hour Runner. I am on my second week of OHR. I really feel good to be able to run for 30 minutes. I am extremely slow..only running at 3.6 to 3.8.

I participated in a  Thanksgiving 5K. Then my knee started hurting and I took a month off. Even though my knee is feeling better, I am keeping my appointment for physical therapy. I want to make sure that I do not reinjure anything.

It is nice to see familiar names  in this thread..  Everyone seems to be making good progress..

aprillilly
  • gagi2000 Amateur 21 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    7. Feb 16, 2010 3:58 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Jess,  Thanks for starting this post!

I started C25K in August and finished a couple 5Ks and one 10K by end of December.   I haven't run anything official since then.  I only run 3 miles every other day.  Seems most of you are doing longer distances.  Maybe you will motivate me!  I am not sure my joints/bones could take more pounding.  I am at a good weight I think but need much more muscle and less flab!

All  I read in Runners World  in an article about gadgets (yes greyhair ( :   )   that an experienced runner has shorter steps but keeps a faster or same pace.  I have a hard time taking smaller steps  I really pound the pavement hence joint pain now and then.  Do you all think that is true?  I also think if I slowed down I could run longer distances but I am always telling myself to speed up that is why I think something that would tell me my pace and heartrate might be good for me.  So far I like the Polar FT 60 because I can have a coach right there with me and later it will tell me whether I reached my goal and what I should do next.

Glad to see this post "up and running "    Ha no pun intended!!  Joani

One of those "used " runners-

Ran Monterey 10 k 1987

Leavenworth Triathlon  1992

THEN:

Finished C25K  October 2009

Halloween Howl  5K    Pace 9:37  Oct '09

Animal Haven  5K   Nov. '09

Jingle Bell Jog 10 K  10:10  Dec. '09

• gagi2000 Amateur 21 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    8. Feb 16, 2010 4:03 AM (in response to susanbarron)

Susan,   Don't let one day get you down,  we all have them.  Maybe find a 10K to run as a goal--not as huge as a marathon goal.  On days off I try to walk/hike hills-- just an idea but I have never done a marathon or half for that matter!  You are lucky you're in CA  so many beautiful places to run and nice weather.  I lived in Monterey for a few years and loved it. Joani

One of those "used " runners-

Ran Monterey 10 k 1987

Leavenworth Triathlon  1992

THEN:

Finished C25K  October 2009

Halloween Howl  5K    Pace 9:37  Oct '09

Animal Haven  5K   Nov. '09

Jingle Bell Jog 10 K  10:10  Dec. '09

• debwro Expert 59 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010
    9. Feb 16, 2010 6:16 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Thanks for starting this thread.  I did the C25K 3 years ago and since then have completed many 5ks, a 10k, two 15ks, 3 half marathons, and 2 marathons.  I'm running Gasparilla half Feb 28.  My best advice for those wanting to increase distance is to choose a race and then find a training plan.  The thing to be careful about is make sure you don't over train, meaning don't think you have to train for 6 months to run a 15K.  Stick to the training plan and if the race is too far out, run to maintain until time to start the training plan.  The plan I used for my first marathon was an 18 week plan and it worked.  I don't really worry about speed because as you increase distance and fitness, speed comes.  I added speed work to my training last summer and it has helped to increase my pace, not that I am burning up the roads or anything.  The one thing that I have learned from the running group that I train with is to take my runs slow except when doing speed work.  Different length runs are done at different paces and when you need the speed it comes because you aren't worn down from running as fast as you can for every run.  Hard concept to learn and to follow.  I still have a lot to learn but I set goals for every race and try to meet them.  I've come a long way from just wanting to cross the finish line.  Maybe I can qualify for Boston--who knows the sky is the limit and I am only 12 minutes from meeting the qualifying time!!  Nothing like a dream to get me out there!

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    10. Feb 16, 2010 6:38 AM (in response to debwro)

Hey all thanks for the responses! Jess I really like your idea of breaking the run down into 20 minute increments....I had forgotten about doing that during c25k and how much it helped then....I'm going to enjoy this day just work and think things over!

Gagi- I am looking and finally found a 10k here but not till april...it's a run around the zoo!! Sounds fun and hopefully by then I should comfortably be able to do that if I am able to follow my plan for increasing mileage from .5 -10% per week whichever feels good! Then I will keep on training for the half !!

Again thanks for all the great ideas for me to mull over today...happing running!

susan

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• Riverrat1952 Pro 63 posts since
    May 29, 2009
    12. Feb 16, 2010 8:02 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Hey Jess,

This is the perfect plan for me.  I ran a Turkey trot 10K with my daughter but have not been staying in shape since then.  I have started running on the TM and hope to get outside when the snow stops.  I am in New Hampshire so I still have a couple of months of cool weather. 

My daughter ran a half marathon in Houston last month and I was not in good enough shape to run with her.  This

challenged me and I have set my goal to always be in shape to complete a half marathon. I think this group can help me get there.  

If there is anyone in southern NH that is looking for a running partner let me know.

Life is for Living

Jim

• compguy Expert 58 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    13. Feb 16, 2010 8:13 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi All!

Deb,  like you I'm letting speed come later.  Did one 10K thanksgiving (my first race), one 1/2 marathon January 31st (my 2nd race), and my 3rd race is in 18 days - marathon.  Assuming I live through it I'll let you know how it goes .

Building out a little training/cross training room at the house now.  Got a Bowflex today, new treadmill, putting a bike on an indoor trainer, and a stairmaster.   Add a TV (which doesn't yet have cable) and that's it!  Saturday mornings are really really hard right now....I don't like the modern cartoons at all!

I'll do 21 to 26 miles this week and even less next then the race.   Just went to a pasta diet.  I know no need for two weeks - but hey - I love pasta anyway!

(Oh and I think I'm one of the oldies here - 58)

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    14. Feb 16, 2010 8:36 AM (in response to Riverrat1952)

Hail! Hail! The gang's all here!!! Thanks Jess for starting this thread! I love the name also!!!!!

Susan! That is a good idea to run the 10K at the Zoo! That sounds fun! Just run it and do the best you can. I know you will do great!

I have found that if my nutrition and hydration is not good, then I have a very hard time getting my runs in. More on that in my post!

Jess!   You are so fortunate to be in So. Ca! I am in the deep South and you would think it would be warm enough to enjoy my runs, but we have had

snow and 3 out of the last 4 days and have had terribly cold temps here since November!

Meg!   Congrats on the events that you have completed! As for the 10K, I think you would need to work more on distance than on speed. On long runs, the

main goal is to be able to run the distance. Ofcourse, you would like to have a good time, but like others have said, if you do the distance your time

will improve.

Marie!  Be careful with the injury! You are doing the right thing in letting it heal before hitting the road again. Remember, we are not as young as we

used to be!

Aprillilly! Take care of the knee!

Joani!  I also am not doing long distances yet. I do a 4 mile run occassionally, but have been focusing mainly on my 5K times. My goal is to be able to run

a 10K later in the year, but like some of you, I just cannot seem to get past that 4 miles comfortably. I think that I am running to fast and need to slow

down and pace myself in order to get the distance. I really have no aspirations to run more than a 10K. A half or marathon is not in my future!

Yes, you have a smaller stride and it will keep you from getting tired as easily and will allow you to run farther than a long stride. My problem is that

I get tired quicker with smaller strides than I do with an all out stride! Problem is that I cannot keep up the pace with the longer stride for as long. So,

try to mix up my stride and it has worked so far.

Debwro! Great to have an accomplished runner in our midst! We can learn alot from you!

Susan!

My run yesterday was my practice run of the course that we will be running at the 5K on Saturday. This course does not have as many steep hills in it, but had about 2 miles total of gradual inclines of about a 10% grade. You are basically running uphill on about 2 miles total of the course!  I had rather have a steep hill along that I can just get up quickly and the start back down!

I was able to cut about :43 sec off of my 5K time in December! Hopefully, I can do at least that well or maybe a little better come Saturday!

I had a really great run! This was the best run that I have had since comming back from my back injury. My runs since the injury have all been hard for me and I have had a hard time making it through the miles and time that I could easily make it through before. This time, I was in the zone! My breathing was easy throughout the run and I never experienced any fatigue, pain or twinges of any kind! NOW! you may ask me why???? I asked myself what my problem has been for the last couple of weeks in not being able to run like I could before. I was only out of running for 2 weeks! Surely, I did not lose it that quickly.

I could run for 2 min and be gasping for breath and my legs felt like lead! I got to thinking back over the days when I would do the runs and I came up with 2 things that I thought might could be contributing to my dificulties with my runs. I decided I would change a few things and see if it made a difference on yesterday's run and man did it make a difference!!!!

I have been trying to cut back on my eating some because I seem to be gaining and losing the same 2 lbs now for almost 3 months! My clothes are all looser on me, but I wanted the scale to move down. Since I had cut back on my eating, I was also not drinking my water like I was.

I came to the conclusion that I was not eating enough on days when I was running and that I was dehydrated on those days as well. So.........yesterday, I made sure that I had a good lunch that included protein, a carb and a veggie and I made sure that I had a good carbohydrate snack about an 1.5 hours before my run. I also made sure that I drank plenty of water up until about an hour before my run. And presto! I had plenty of energy for my run, I ran at a faster pace than I ever have and it did not affect my breathing. My heart rate was good throughout my run and even when I got up to around 165 on my last mile, I was still breathing slow and steady without fatigue! Whaaaalaaaaa!!!!!!!! Case closed!!!! I found the reason I was having so much trouble! I no longer care what the scale says! I will eat well and hydrate well especially on the days that I am going to run!!! It makes all the difference in the world!!!!

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

1 2 3 ... 38 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...