Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7487 Views 46 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2010 1:05 PM by sj00 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Sheepdog013 Rookie 47 posts since
Aug 31, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 17, 2010 9:22 PM

Join the (C25K) Tortoise Patrol Starting week of the 21st!

Okay, I started a C25K group on Cool Running over two years ago in which I solicited beginning runners (and I use the term "runners" loosely), like me, to ban together in our individual efforts of conquering the C25K. A few of us did; one of the common struggles throughout the program was not the time of running/walking but the speed (or lack there of) in which we lumbered through the weeks. Therefore our little corner of the Newbie Cafe was appropriately named the Tortoise Patrol.

Many of us completed the program and parted ways running off (literally) into the sunset. As for myself, I completed the program and continued to run and found myself running for an hour three times a week. Well...that was then and this is now. To say that I backslid, would be like saying the Cubs have been in a slight slump the past 101 years. Now I'm over 200 pounds, which is fine for someone seven foot tall, however I'm 5'9". So, before I become large enough to actually have my own gravitational pull I need to make make like Cher and turn back time.

Three important things I have learned is that run/walk programs, and this one in particular, do work, no matter what your personal ability is. Another is that running is definaltely a perishable skill and consistency is the key. The third and most important is that it much easier to maintain consistency when there are folks in the same boat as you to be accountable to and share experiences etc.  It would be great to get a group of folks to start the week of the 21st.

I plan to walk on the treadmill until then to get myself "warmed up." So join me fellow Tortoi!

images.jpeg

• bizzle2 Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010

I'm a week ahead of you, but I need a Tortoise Patrol T-shirt!!!! 

• Dallasdoll08 Pro 111 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010

I want the T-shirt too.  I think you should make one up for the group.  I did W1D2 this morning so I don't think I'm too far ahead to join am I?

Linda

• Dallasdoll08 Pro 111 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010

I did W1D1 this morning and it wasn't as good as W1D1 but I didn't "prepare" the same.  I ate someting the first day and I didn't this morning.  I'll definately go back to putting someing in the tank before taking off.  I love the podcasts even though my treadmill has the mileage/time, etc.  The podcasts keep me from watching the clock and the time goes by so much faster for me.

A little about myself; I've never ran before.  I've always been a walker.  I'm 53 and work at a sedentary job and then when I get home I continue to "sit".  So, it is definately time to get off the couch.  I don't know if I would ever want to run in a race, but I do want to be in better shape and health, hence taking up this program.

I'm looking forward to everyone chiming in with advice and suggestions of what and what not to do.  I'm determined to do this so I'll need all the encouragement I can get.

Happy running and hope everyone has a great day!

Linda

• mkejen Amateur 17 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010

Count me in.  I started W1D1 yesterday and need encouragement from others!  I am a beginning "runner" and didn't do too bad yesterday.  I think I need to get fitted for a running show because my calves were killing me when running...I was not winded running...my legs just hurt!

• sj00 Amateur 9 posts since
    Aug 22, 2009

i'm in too! im starting today and cant wait!! i dont know anyone to run with me or keep me going so you guys are it!!! get me in shape!

Aug 22, 2009

i was looking for a podcast to use so i dont have to keep watching the time. ( it think that might make it go slower) but there all for iphones or zumes. i just have a ipod nano that i would like to use.. any ideas??

• steadyrunner Amateur 18 posts since
    Feb 22, 2010

Yippe! count me in I am on W1D3 as of today. I am looking for encouragement and motivation from all the girls here. Never a runner so I will be a real challenge for me. Any recommendations for good running shoes will be appreciated. I am 5'4 and weighs about 150 pounds and trying to shed pounds. Help!

• victhulhu Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 18, 2010

Hi Everyone!  My name is Victoria and I started C25k last week, but I'd love to join you guys. I'm definitely a tortoise!  I'm kind of a musclehead and mountain biker so no stranger to working out, but I've always loathed running because it has usually kicked my butt whenever I tried getting into it.  I've always had this lofty goal of completing a marathon and since I'm not getting younger I'd figure I'd better get crackin'.  Even completing a 5k would be a HUGE accomplishment for me.  So, now I'm into week 2 and I'm actually starting to look forward to my runs - I really hope I can stay motivated and get through this.  Good luck to everyone - we can do this!!

Sj00 - There is a "Chubby Jones" podcast that seems to be really popular around the boards - it should work with your nano.  http://chubbyjones.libsyn.com/

Started C25k: 2.17.10 - Graduated C25k: 4.6.10

Upcoming Races:

~Soleburner 5k - 5.8.10

• victhulhu Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 18, 2010

Hi Steady!  I just went through the whole shoe thing after W1D2 when I realized my shoes were absolutely terrible with no support and were literally ripping up my feet.  If you don't mind spending some extra money on shoes go to a specialty running shop and they will fit you according your foot type and gait.  Otherwise there is a shoe finder at Runner's World. http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/shoelabshoefinder/1,7154,s6-240-325-329-0-0-0-0-0,00.html  I ended up with a pair of Asics that have just been absolute heaven.

Best of luck to you with the program!

-Victoria

Started C25k: 2.17.10 - Graduated C25k: 4.6.10

Upcoming Races:

~Soleburner 5k - 5.8.10

Aug 22, 2009

steadyrunner - im 5'3" and 152lbs so we can stick together on this!!

• Julie85405 Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010

Count me in as a member of tortoise patrol!  I started on Tuesday, 16 February, and will begin W2D1 tomorrow.

Have been working with a trainer for a couple of years and have lost about 70 pounds, have another 40 or so that I can't seem to get rid of.

Trainer challeneged me to run, I did so 'off and on' for about a 9 months or so in a similar training to C25K, intervals of walkoing and running extending the time I ran every single time.

Nebraska's Race for the Cure is in October, I intended to walk, got caught up in the excitement, started running (read: plodding) along with the crowd and finished the 5K in 48:40, about 16 minute mile.  One of the proudest moments of my life.

Life has since gotten in the way and have been caring for a chronically ill and elderly mother who has bounced between home/hospital/rehab/nursing home since mid November.  I used her care as an excuse to get out of the gym and finally am back on track.

Found Chubby Jone's podcast on Itunes and have downloaded to use for the remainder of the training.

Hope to e ready for a 5K by Memorial Day!

With 54 inches of snow thus far this winter no running outside, I'm too much of a wuss, that's what treadmills are for.

Think the t-shirt with a tortoise and and Ipod is a sweet idea!

Looking forward to being part of the group!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...