Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13340 Views 42 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2010 2:30 PM by Violina RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Jeff@5430 Amateur 17 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007

In triathlon, you get to say you completed an "Olympic Distance Triathlon", rather than saying you completed a "1/4 Ironman". That sounds so much better.

What I don't like about the term Half-Marathon is that it gets interuppted as "half a marathon". It is not "half a marathon". It is a full half-marathon.

So I'm open to a new name.

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008

How about a Harathon?  A Marflathon?  A Freaking-Long-Way?  A Len?   ( I think Len needs something named after him he's earned it)

• gashadow Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010

Seems to me the offending word is "half". So let's get rid of the word "half".  No more half a cup, no more half mile, etc,etc.  So let's get rid of the word "half".  And while we're at it, I guess we need to get rid of "one fourth", "one eighth", etc.  I'm obviously saying this in jest.  Why don't we find something better to do with our time?  The English language already is cluttered enough with new words that have replaced the old words that offended a few over-sensitive people.

• gashadow Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010

I think you need to read the original post again.  They obviously were offended by the receiver's understanding of the word "half".  For what it's worth, I agree with you that the use of the word "Pikermi" is not wise.  Why not something more descriptive like "half-marathon"?  Everyone knows what "half" means and most people know what a "marathon" is.  All I'm saying is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• Achmed1 Pro 74 posts since
    Jan 13, 2010

"Fun Run"?   I am never liking the name "half mary".

Infidels!!

• Brickfeet Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 14, 2010

I think the renaming has already begin to occur since I've seen pikermi used in a number of blog posts from runners with a variety of skill levels.

True, non-runners won't really know what it is regardless of the name, just like they rarely understand that finishing a marathon is completely different from running a marathon with a time like 2:30.  Most of the time they're just impressed that you even bother to exercise regularly (which is depressing enough in its own right).

Back to the main point, I'd be for renaming the half.  Not because its difficult in its own right, but because for its level of difficulty and style of racing is completely different from a marathon.  The half is only hard if you push yourself to run the fastest you can.  In my (meager) experience, a marathon is hard and you have to push yourself just to finish regarldess.  So basically I'm saying that the half doesn't deserve the credibility that marathon brings to it.

• jbluther Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010

21k?  Sounds like Blackjack!

"I'm going to run 2 blackjacks this year."

"What's your fastest blackjack?"

"The 2010 xxxxxx Marathon and Blackjack"

"Push it!  Don't stay at 17 (k).  Go for the blackjack!"

Hit me!

--

Jared

• run2011 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 24, 2008

As a linguist, I have learned that the only way language changes is because people change it.  So if you feel that the half-marathon should be called something else, then end your discussion of 'should it or shouldn't it be changed?' and simply start using the word.  Dictionary writers don't decide what's a word or not.  People decide when they begin using it and it catches on.

And so now I ask...what about ultra-marathons, etc?

• nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009

So brickfeet you don't feel that running a half is hard?  What about the first time you accomplished 13.1 miles?  Did you not feel that was an accomplishment to be proud of?  Kind of dissapointing to be looked down upon for not being able to complete 26.2?  I sincerely believe that a marathon takes mental and physical stamina beyond what it takes to complete 1/2 but its still hard comparitively speaking when you think of all the "runners" who show up to a 5k never having really trained for racing don't you think.

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

• honguito Pro 135 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007

Interesting discussion, the only thing that is not really discussed are proposals for a new name. What could we call it ?

Regards

Gunter

www.triatlonca.org

• honguito Pro 135 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007

i did so, but it would be nice to see other proposals. just because someone proposes "pikermi" does not mean that this is the best solution

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...