Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1138 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 26, 2010 9:51 AM by lenzlaw RSS
D-K Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 24, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 25, 2010 12:54 PM

Need advice, I signed up for 2,500th Aniv Marathon in Greece as a fundraiser...

I have signed up for the 2,500th aniversary marathon of the marathong in Marathon Greece.   It marks the course Philipides took when he ran from Marathon to Athens to announce the victory of Greece.  (and then dropped dead.   Of course he first ran to and from Sparta, ran to Marathon, fought in the battle and THEN ran to Athens).

In exchange for raising money for charity, I get a six day five night trip to Greece, Jeff Galloway training and a special aniversary finishers medal when I complete the course.  The finish line is in the marble stadium where the first modern Olympic games were played.

http://ahepa.org/dotnetnuke/Events/AthensMarathon.aspx

http://ahepa.org/uploads/images/athensmarathon_banner.jpg

I know the charity and some of the people who are active in the programs. (scholarships, cooly's anemia, women's shelters, senior housing)  I like the fact they have been around since 1922 and are using active.com for the charity arm.

So I paid my registration, talked to the tour operator to make sure I have my spot.  (only 12,000 runners in this race), set up my active.com fundraiser page, and now have started asking for money.

Has anyone actually run the Marathon in Marathon, Greece?

Has anyone ever done this type of charity fundraising for a marathon?

How much should I be asking from people?

ALL ADVICE is welcome as this will be my first charity effort. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points