Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13028 Views 43 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2010 8:34 AM by Lostmonkeyboy RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Lostmonkeyboy Pro 86 posts since
Nov 20, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 1, 2010 11:18 AM

ITBS, 3 weeks to go till La Marathon

Okay i need advice on this.

I was out running yesterday and at mile 19 i noticed a dull pain on the outside of my knee, i continued on for another mile and then decided to stop as not to aggrevate the problem.  I got a lift home and when walking upstairs i noticed more pain.  Got into an extremely icy cold bath and then went out for dinner and noticed going down the stairs was sore.  Then after eating was sitting around 40-50 minutes walked back to car and my knee was really sore and then at home walking up stairs it felt worse.  Then after 10 minutes at home i didn't noticed the pain i could walk fine.  I looked up online and sounds like ITBS.

I'm freaked out as this is my first marathon, i've been training since October and have put in so much work getting up early before work to run and now i don't know what to do, do i not run till the marathon, do i give up on the marathon.  I can't stop thinking about this problem.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Mar 1, 2010 12:05 PM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)
    Re: ITBS, 3 weeks to go till La Marathon

Hopefully others will add their two cents worth, because I've never had this problem.  ITB stretches (cross bad side ankle behind the other, arms extended overhead, hands clasped, lean away from the bad leg, pushing the hip out slightly - switch and do the other leg for balance) and work with a foam roller (page 3 of http://www.fitter1.com/assets/pdf/foamroller_exercises.pdf)  have worked for those I know who have had the problem.  Luckily you're into your taper so you can get by with taking some time off and less running.  I once had shin splints that really acted up on my last long run.  I took two weeks off completely while rehabbing and did a short run every other day the last week.  It's not ideal but hopefully will let you run the marathon pain free.

Len

Len

• Durunner Pro 92 posts since
    Jun 29, 2009
    2. Mar 1, 2010 8:58 PM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)

It sure does sound like it.  Welcome to the fun world of ITBS.

As Len said, one of the good things is that you are heading to the taper period.  It will likely get better as you cut back.  Perhaps you won't have any problems come marathon day.  One of the problems though is that even with complete rest, it doesn't completely go away.

I first got this years ago.  I stopped running completely and every time I came back to running, it would come back if I didn't build up just right.  When I came back to running this time, I was determined not to have it force me to give up.  One of the best things I found was to do a lot of stretching.  It bothered be a lot over the summer, but I stretched and then really had no problem throughout most of my fall marathon training.

When I came back from training in December, it started bothering me on short runs.  I stretched during the runs and my body eventually adapted.  Since I recently ramped up to 50+ miles a week, it has come back again.  I've learned to run with it and for me it is just a nuisance now.  I really wish I could get it to go away completely though.

It is too late to start doing any work to strengthen areas, but strengthening the hips will help after your marathon.  Stretch your hips a lot too because it really is the band that runs from the hip to the outside of the knee.  I also found that sometimes changing my stride helped during a run.  A few times, I actually ran faster and it bothered me less.

The good news is that it is manageable with some of the above things I mentioned.  Running less hills can help too (although running hills is also a good way to strengthen hips).  The other good thing, especially for the marathon is that you can actually run on it for quite a bit after you feel a soreness.  There were a few times where it has started to bother me at mile 4 of a run, then I keep going and at mile 10, I'm fine.  It's really kind of weird.  The other good thing is that although it does seem to bother you quite a bit, you aren't going to do a significant amount of damage by running through it.  I'd just recommend backing off when it really started to bother you.

I've learned to run with it and not push too far.  I've become so used to it that I know when to stop.  If I go beyond that point, I'll be limping home.  It is definitely something you can manage, but it is something I have trouble completely shaking.

I think you should be fine come marathon time.  If you do encounter it and it is late in the marathon, you should be able to finish with some stretching if needed.  Perhaps others have some better ideas as it has obviously frustrated, but not defeated me to this point.

Chasing Boston

2009 Philadelphia Marathon 3:48:12

2010 Pocono Run for the Red Marathon 3:14:31

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    3. Mar 2, 2010 7:38 AM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)

The stretch Len recomended is good (One foot behind the other, arms up, lean to the side your back foot it on, kind of making a "C" with your body).  Look at the bottom of this page: http://endurancesports.com/itbs.asp

This won't help a lot now since there isn't much time before your race, but strenghening my hips has helped a ton.  I do these exercieses a couple times a week and it has helped so much (on each leg):

• Lay on the ground on one side.  The leg on the ground bent back at 90 degrees.  The other leg raise up to about 45 degrees, then lower, but let it don't touch.  Do quick repeats with the leg not coming very high, then longer repeats with the leg coming higher.  Make sure your foot is flexed, not pointed.
    • Same pose (laying on your side), but do clockwise and counterclockwise rotations with the rasied leg.  Again, make sure the foot is flexed, toe should be pointed away from your body.
    • Standing up, lift one leg towards your side. (If you were standing against a wall, your leg would be almost touching the wall the whole time).  Raise it as high as you can, then do short pulses.
    • It seems that the elliptical works the outer hip muscle.  I remember when I used to cross train alot on the elliptical I never had IT band issues.

Sorry, this was hard to put into words...If you can't visualize what I'm talking about let me know and i'll take pictures or something

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• JD1969 Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 16, 2010
    5. Mar 3, 2010 1:09 PM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)

Stretch, stretch, stretch... and stretch some more.

I developed ITBS four years ago during a 12k race. Unlike you, I did not stop running at the onset of pain in my knee. Pushed myself to finish the race - only to end up on crutches and in physical therapy for weeks on end.  Stretching is the answer for most people who suffer from ITBS... however, it is not a 'cure'. I'm having issues with it again as I write this reply to you. But, I know how to handle it now. The stretches already mentioned are good ones - there are many more you can find online as well.  The bottom line is this: ITBS does not have to end your running career - You do have to make adjustments to how you run & how hard you push yourself. You also have to pay very close attention to what your knee is feeling like... don't, and I mean DON'T ignore the pain like I did. I paid dearly for doing so. Sometimes I have to stop mid-run and stretch it out. Look into getting a foam roller or a rolling pin as well - they are fantastic for the IT Band.  I've been able to come back from this injury and post the best times I've run in two decades...  Stretching, strengthening exercises, and a good warm up routine - ice your knee frequently.. Thankfully, from what you described, it does not sound as though you injured it to badly... running LA? It is entirely possibly.. but only you can make that determination. If you do run it - you may have to hold back.

Very best of luck to you.

"Sometimes the moments that challenge us the most... define us."  - Opening line in "Spirit of a Marathon"

[br]

APFT - 1 mile - 6:03

APFT - 2 mile - 12:30

Bloomsday 12k 2006 - 1h 26m

Bloomsday 12k 2008 - 1h 3m

Bloomsday 12k 2009 - 58m 41s

St. Paddy's 5 Miler - 37:49

Bloomsday 12k 2010 - May 2nd, 2010

Feb 16, 2010
    6. Mar 3, 2010 1:20 PM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)

One more thing - very important too - Downhill runs are very hard on IT Band... I had to completely change the way I take downhill slopes. Take short, controlled steps. Step 'lightly'. Concentrate on running on the balls of your feet versus the heel..  The competitor in me hates that I have to hold back, but in the end it is what you have to do in order to cross that finish line.. Again, best of luck to you and do not let this beat you.

"Sometimes the moments that challenge us the most... define us."  - Opening line in "Spirit of a Marathon"

[br]

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Mar 3, 2010 1:25 PM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)

I
    have never ran a marathon so I can't answer your question.  However I did want to respond because I also suffer from ITBS.  It comes and goes for about 2 years now.  Preventing the injury won't help now, but as mentioned before doing exercises for the inner thigh and hips after every run helps prevent.  Once it is irritated I recommend a couple thing.  One of course is rest it for a couple days.  Two do the stretches they really help.  Three INVEST IN A FOAM ROLLER!  I will tell you this hurts like the devil, but the ITB band fells so much better the next day.   For me I need about 3 days rest before I can run again.  Then I start out with a slow pace.  Everybody reacts different and it depends on how bad you injured it.  I would say rest for 4-7 days and use the roller.  Then start out on a slow jog.  If you notice it hurting than call it a good attempt and go home.  Try again in another few days.  If there is no pain then keep whatever mileage you had, but make sure to keep it slow.  Running fast is a sure way to aggravate it again.  Then work up from there.

Again I haven't ran a marathon, but I don't think doing nothing for 3 weeks prior is recommended.  Some cross training my physical therapist had me doing while recovering was swimming and bike riding.  He wouldn't allow the elliptical because it works the outer thigh and can add to the problem.  Also I don't know if you have heard about it, but I have been reading a lot about water running.  It is suposed to give the same effects as actual running without the pounding of the body.  That could be a really good alternative till you heal.

Good luck on your race!

TyKy

• ColmQ Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009
    8. Mar 3, 2010 3:21 PM (in response to TyKy)

First sorry but three weeks is short - there is no way to know how you'll react.   I'm no expert but here is my experience for what it is worth.

First get to a chiropractor.   I went three times a week initially.    Second, I got an IT support band and wore it pretty much continually.  Some say it has no effect - they might be right.    Finally I began alternating heat and ice on the knee - about 20 minutes of each ... just using a set of reuseable pads from a drug store.   Many people swear by the foam roller - did not really work for me (but still good for general stretching) but everyone is different - a tennis ball is also useful - there are some roller demos on youtube that will tell you want to do. 

For me, I think the alternating heat and ice did the job, but I was trying everything simultaneously.  I have been free of pain for a about five months now but I keep a very close on it.   By the way it is also a symptom of overuse .... in which case simply rest might suffice.

If you continue to run and you should be close to taper mode anyway -  _stop_ at the first sign of trouble.      Really, this last piece is vital.   I learned this the hard way on the worst quater mile travelled on close to hands and knees.   Beware taper madness  - ie. the inability to trust the training and keep trying to get "one more" run/long run in.

• Durunner Pro 92 posts since
    Jun 29, 2009
    9. Mar 3, 2010 8:21 PM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)

You said that it hurt late in your long run right?  How are you feeling now?  Has it bothered you any time since then?  As others have said, rest can help, but it won't go away.

Since you should be tapering now or soon anyways, I would give running a try again if it isn't bothering you during normal activities.  If it bothers you during the run, then back off and cross train.  Hopefully it won't bother you until late in runs again and if you are tapering then you might not hit that point. How it'll react on marathon day, you just won't know I guess.  Start stretching now if you haven't and keep stretching after runs.  I also stretched a couple other times throughout the day too.

Chasing Boston

2009 Philadelphia Marathon 3:48:12

2010 Pocono Run for the Red Marathon 3:14:31

Jan 18, 2008
    10. Mar 4, 2010 6:07 AM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)

OK, the marathon is the 21st.  I assume you haven't run since this happened.  I would rehab like crazy - there is lots of good advice here - cross-train as possible, and take next week off from running too.  Then try some runs the week before the marathon.  As mentioned above, it doesn't sound too bad so you may be able to fix it in two weeks.  This is not ideal, but it's your best chance of recovering and still being able to run the marathon.  You're in the taper so you would be backing off anyway, and you won't lose a lot of conditioning in those two weeks.  You may have to back off some on your expectations for the race though.  Play it by ear . . . or knee.  Good luck.

Len

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    12. Mar 4, 2010 2:05 PM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)

I think I'd get on that foam roller first and see how it feels.  If you can roll it with no pain, then you might consider a short run to test it.  The roller and the stretching are probably your best bets for the near term.  I think you'll have to evaluate as you go, deciding when to run again and for the marathon itself.  Start the race conservatively, give it 8 or 10 miles to see how it feels.  Hopefully it will be OK and you can pick up the pace.

Len

Len

Feb 16, 2010
    13. Mar 4, 2010 11:12 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Lost.. the foam roller is excellent for ITBS.. but as mentioned earlier.. it is painful, so don't be surprised when you get on it. It's normal.  Best of luck to you!

[br]

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    14. Mar 5, 2010 10:38 PM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)

3 weeks is enough time to get things under control, but as others   have noted, you should not try to hammer this marathon, or any first   marathon, for that matter. So, take a load off while I clarify a few   things about the ITB.

First, the Iliotibial band, like a   tendon, is attached to muscle. If you were able to "stretch" the ITB,   you would actually be stretching the elastic muscle attached, not the   hard, fibrous band that connects the Tensor Fascia Latae (TFL) muscle on   the front of the hip to the tibia below the knee. I say "if" because   exercise physiologists are not in agreement about whether it is   mechanically possible to stretch either component at all. The muscle is   there to keep the band tight in order to protect the knee, like a   retaining spring. In other words, it's supposed to be tight.

Before   I leave stretching, the latest research suggests that its major  benefit  is a chemical change that leads to greater elasticity of tissue  - the  body's attempt to cope with stress. It's not the mechanical  aspect of  stretching that is as important as the chemical and  neuromuscular  effects. Otherwise, it's dangerous, so use caution.

As   others have also noted, this is a repetitive motion injury. This means   that your ITB is pretty much the same as mine - which does not hurt -   and the difference between us is that the area around your knee is   inflamed from the relentless slapping of that band along the outer knee,   due to the training you have endured leading up to your first marathon  -  something your knee was never prepared to handle before now.

Foam   rolling the ITB is really benefitting the lateral quad (Vastus   Lateralis) underneath, which is frequently riddled with painful areas in   distance runners. No harm in massaging it, but there's little more  than  a placebo effect on the ITB Syndrome, since the VL and ITB are not   connected in any meaningful way - they just slide indepedently past  each  other. Where there is something to gain is in the increase of   circulation to the overused area.

When I encountered  my  first bout with ITBS in October, it was around the same point in my   mileage. I went through the same symptoms and consulted some experts   that I happen to work with. They applied some kinesio tape down the quad   to elevate the tissue around the knee and increase circulation there. I   went from a max of 13 pain-free miles to double that - 26 miles - that   weekend. In addition, I applied Magnesium liberally to the area,   including the quads, hamstrings, TFL - the entire thigh complex - in   order to speed healing.

The two most widely used forms  of  Mag on the market are Epsom Salts, which you must bathe in, and Milk   of Magnesia, which is a popular laxative. I don't know anyone else who   has ever applied it topically, but I did because it is essentially the   same mineral. (Hydroxide vs. Sulfate, big deal). The combination worked   for me, because if there are any two things that will speed healing,   they are circulation and magnesium.

Back to foam  rolling,  if you use it, please roll your pressure strokes up the leg  rather  than down, or you risk exploding the semilunar valves of your  veins,  which can lead to varicose veins. Better still, reach under the  ITB,  just above the knee, with your fingertips while seated. I'll bet  you  can feel some tenderness under there. If you do, your fingers will  be  far more effective than foam at working out those kinks in the  lateral  quad.

I'll check back for feedback, cuz I'm expecting a load of it. I like to  leave no sacred cow unslain...

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...