Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2185011 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 677 678 679 680 681 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Tlovewins Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 21, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,170. Feb 21, 2012 8:24 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hi Everyone! I found this site last week and I'm hooked! I started W1D1 yesterday and I DID IT! It wasn't fast and I'm sure it wasn't pretty, but I did it.

I am 33 years old and weigh 337lbs. I started a contest with a group of my friends on Jan. 8th of this year and everything has snowballed from there. We all put $50 in the pot and whoever loses the biggest percentage of weight gets the pot. Well, $800 was the first thing to motivate me in years. I'm happy to say that once I got started, good decisions led to more good decisions. My family and I are eating healthy, I'm more active than I've been in years and I quit smoking two weeks ago. BIG changes!!

C25K is the next step. If anyone had told me I would ever run, I would have died laughing! My freinds and family are very supportive, but honestly they are pretty much in shock.

I feel very settled with the changes that I've made and am resolved that 2012 will be my year for health and wellness!! Hey, if I started running...well then, anything's possible!

• irishmeadow2 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    10,171. Feb 21, 2012 8:28 AM (in response to Snerb)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

I completely agree! Treadmills are made to.cushion your feet but the pavement does not! I am doing much better on a treadmill than I was outside but also outside you have ups and downs and a treadmill is just flat. I have heard that increasing your incline 25% will train your legs better for outside running. I am week 2 day 3 and I have to redo it because I couldn't finish that day :( but I am .not signed up for any races so I plan on completeing then upping my incline or running outside if the weather is permitting ( I live in Vermont). Also on a treadmill you set the speed so you are forced to run that speed unless you manually slow it down. I was running a 14 minute mile outside and dying but now I am running an 11 min mile on the treadmill and still not as tired! My goal is a 10 min mile :) I am also doing weight watchers so I am trying to up my fitness by running again. Ps I HATE it!!! Hahaha but j am 5'7" and 230 (down from 260) so I have to di SOMETHING! I like the interval training of c25k but I hate excercise haha wish me luck! !!

• Beth60497 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 21, 2012
    10,172. Feb 21, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I am new both to online communities and to running.. but all my friends are on the 5K bandwagon, and I'd like to try it too.  So welcome to day 1.

• runblissful Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    10,173. Feb 21, 2012 10:30 AM (in response to Beth60497)
    200+ Pound Club!

Just checking in, I am still in the walking stage before my week one, I am thinking I will start running on the first Tuesday in March. I have been walking and hiking, lots of hills. My biggest problem is finding a good place to run. I like outdoor running, trail running, and I just haven't found a place that would be both safe to run and not too many steep hills. I have a place in mind and will be going there later this week to walk. Its at the local college and I would also be able to use the track for when I want to do speed or know how far I am running.

Welcome to all the new people, being a newbie myself I have found this site very helpful and inspiring. I am on my fourth try to finish the C25K... This time I will complete it and I will go to some 5k races.

Have a wonderful day

Kristi

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    10,174. Feb 21, 2012 10:49 AM (in response to Snerb)
    200+ Pound Club!

I'll echo snerb regarding treadmills.  They typically do feel easier than running outside.  Talking to other who use them in the winter (including my wife), the first few runs back outside after winter seem a little harder.

I find increasing the incline on the treadmill (if possible) makes a difference.  I like mine set at around 6.

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• Scott Heisler Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 2, 2011
    10,175. Feb 21, 2012 2:13 PM (in response to AFatManRunning)
    200+ Pound Club!

Biggest Loser Show Traininig Question.....

Out of all the advice I have read, starting out slow was one of the most recurring tips. Going at it too much too soon would only lead to injury. So my question about the Biggest Loser show is... why is it that on the first day they have these people killing themselves to make it on the show? In their first week they are running on the treadmills like they've been at it for 2 months. I am shocked we havent seen more people blow out knees or hammys. Some are 100lbs over weight. Has anyone here gone nuts and just jumped into it?

248lb-- New Years Resolution: Get in shape by running and run a 1/2 Marathon

225lb-- 6/4/11 Kreidersville Covered Bridge Challenge 10K

GOAL: no walking! COMPLETED! 76:30

215lb-- 9/18/11 Philly Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon

GOAL: <200lbs and JUST FINISH! COMPLETED!! 2:50:54

215lb-- 10/23/11 D&L Rail to Trail 1/2 Marathon: Registered

GOAL: <2:50:00! COMPLETED!! 2:46:24

Jul 4, 2011
    10,176. Feb 21, 2012 2:23 PM (in response to Scott Heisler)
    200+ Pound Club!

Honestly that is why I don't watch the.show! I feel like it is.completely unrealistic but because they are on Tv and competing for.money with personal trainers and chefs, is the reason they succeed. People magazine did an.article recently on some of the past contestants and they had only gained about 20# back but j wonder what the general consensus is...one of the hugs kn the article had gained back over 100#s but lost some again on his own. The show I find inspiring and slightly more realistic is heavy but it is only kn netflix now. I also like hat on heavy they have the personal story of the individual in the show.  I think the point of going slow is also because most of us overweight people are.overweight because we don't like excercising and will quit if we go to far all at once. Even with c25k i have had some knee pain so I.personally wouldn't do kore than 3 days a week and follow the program. But everyone is different!! Good luck!!

• Scott Heisler Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 2, 2011
    10,177. Feb 21, 2012 2:36 PM (in response to irishmeadow2)
    200+ Pound Club!

I saw Heavy a few times and loved it. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I am def. taking it easy especially after dealing with ITBS last year. I figured it was too good to be true. I have about 50lbs to lose, my knees scream too, I can relate.

248lb-- New Years Resolution: Get in shape by running and run a 1/2 Marathon

225lb-- 6/4/11 Kreidersville Covered Bridge Challenge 10K

GOAL: no walking! COMPLETED! 76:30

215lb-- 9/18/11 Philly Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon

GOAL: <200lbs and JUST FINISH! COMPLETED!! 2:50:54

215lb-- 10/23/11 D&L Rail to Trail 1/2 Marathon: Registered

GOAL: <2:50:00! COMPLETED!! 2:46:24

Jul 4, 2011
    10,178. Feb 21, 2012 2:41 PM (in response to Scott Heisler)
    200+ Pound Club!

no prob!! like i said, everyone is different but it is just not worth it for me to try and fail because i pushed myself and my body too far too quickly!

ps sorry for all the typos! my kindle is hard to type on when i get excited

• Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    10,179. Feb 21, 2012 5:37 PM (in response to Scott Heisler)
    200+ Pound Club!

Scott Heisler wrote:

Biggest Loser Show Traininig Question.....

Out of all the advice I have read, starting out slow was one of the most recurring tips. Going at it too much too soon would only lead to injury. So my question about the Biggest Loser show is... why is it that on the first day they have these people killing themselves to make it on the show? In their first week they are running on the treadmills like they've been at it for 2 months. I am shocked we havent seen more people blow out knees or hammys. Some are 100lbs over weight. Has anyone here gone nuts and just jumped into it?

I like to preach slow, and listening to your body because it is extremely important to achieve your goals. You made them for a reason and you need to keep going towards them. Anything that stops you is bad, slowing is not as bad. We are not on that show, we don't have physical therapists and doctors taking blood daily. We are real people with real lives trying to make a real difference. I run 30 min to 1 hour 3 times a week and 2-3 30 minute weight lifting sessions weekly. I burn about 400-800 per each run and 300 or so each weight lifting session.. Over one week just in exercise I burn almost a pound. If I can cut 500 calories daily that equals another pound. 2 pounds weekly is a healthy amount. If you have 100 pounds to loose then you are looking at under a year. That's a realistic attainable goal. If you are at all like me you have maybe 1-2 hours a day you can put into exercise.

3 weeks = a habit.

My mantra is: If you don't want to go out there and exercise, you have to.

It's a simple rule, most of the time I do want to go and exercise, but missing one night, then two then three equals a trend. All too soon you slip back into the couch. My advice (and I am no doctor) is to walk until you reach 3 miles. Once you can comfortably do 3 miles then start couch to 5k and do one session every other day. On your off days you can add strength training or yoga or some other sport (swimming, biking) to up your caloric burn.

I am not a huge success story, but I have dropped 50 pounds gained 25% strength and completed a bunch of races following this path. =)

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• LauraWeeldreyer9536 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 30, 2011
    10,180. Feb 21, 2012 7:42 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I just finished Day 2, Week 2, and I am looking for some advice from anyone who is willing to give it.

I am 42 and decided to get active when I turned 40. I have done about 8 triathlons but never cracked the running portion of the races. I sort of walked/faked it. But I have enough expereince now that I feel compelled to push myself on the running. And I want it....

Here's my dilemma, when I run (and of course, I am only running 90 seconds at a time right now) I really struggle to breathe. Not like asthma  -- which I do not have -- but like I can't take a deep breath and am breating very shallowly. I am a mouth breather to begin with, and when I am running, I am subsisting on short, shallow breaths thorugh my mouth. Today I tried to push and felt like I could not physically take a deep breath. I could not fill my diaphram with air.

It's one thing to do this for 90 seonds, but how will I ever run any longer times/distances, if I don't learn to breathe?!?!

I am looking for any advice, exercises, tips, reassurances. I am clear that this is the hardest part of running thus far. My legs could keep going but my lungs can't go on.

Thanks in advance. This thread has provided me with a ton of inspiration!

• runblissful Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    200+ Pound Club!

lauraWeeldreyer9536: I am no expert but I have been in a place where the rythym of breathing was a challenge. What ultimatly helped me was a couple of things. 1) yoga, the practice of yoga is all about breathing. 2) Meditation- breathing in for a count of 4 and out for a count of 8 to start.

3) Dr Weil has some great breathing exercises that helped  me a lot. I found them in his book 8 weeks to optium health.

I am in agreement with Zerorez with just keep moving. When I don't make myself I stop and that is bad, it is a lot easier to keep going than to start again. I start and keep going by telling myself I have to do at least 10 minutes. Every day 10 minutes. This has gotten me to 45+ minutes faster than anything else, and even when I am tired and sick I do 10 min, if I am still sick and tired I stop and do 10 minutes tomorrow. Any one can do 10 minutes, and then if that is where you are starting just add 5 minutes every week.

I think I found a good running trail, and it is beautiful, I can take my dog and have him off leash and I am running trails that are mostly flat with some inclines and I can choose to do hill work if I want. YAH! I can't wait now, I am thinking of starting on next Tuesday, and hike out there this week to get to know the trails and mark out distances.

happy running

Kristi

• Tiph Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    10,182. Feb 22, 2012 7:53 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi all! I fell off the face of the earth for about 10 months to have a baby and recover! OB forbade me to run during what turned out to be a VERY high risk pregnancy. Now that Connor is safely delivered and I am recovered it is back to C25K. I was in week 3 when I had to stop, so I guess it is back to week 1. I tried to run all of week 1 tonight, but I guess I'll have to start from the VERY beginning (run every other one until I can run them all). Can't wait to get back in it.

Tiph

Mommy to a Miracle

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    10,183. Feb 23, 2012 10:17 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi folks,

I've been away for a while.  I was able to increase my long run to a long (and slow) of 6 miles. I was starting to see and taste a half marathon  finish line on May 6th.  I could run and I was (finally) enjoying the good and bad runs.  Then, I had a set back- broken ribs which kept me out for 3 long weeks.  My first run back I was able to do 2 miles with walk breaks, then 3.  Now, I'm trying to stage my comeback - I'm just not sure how much/ how fast (or slow).  My plan for the next week is to do all three runs at 3 miles, trying to increase the distance between my walk breaks which are currently at 1 minute every half mile.  After that, I'm not sure. Do I increase my long run by a mile or a half mile every week, and take a recovery week 3 weeks? I'm ready to admit I cant do the May 6 half marathon, but would a June 9th one be out of the question.  What are your thoughts?

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• CharlesAlberson Pro 152 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    10,184. Feb 23, 2012 5:11 PM (in response to edensacres)
    200+ Pound Club!

edensacres wrote:

Hi folks,

I've been away for a while.  I was able to increase my long run to a long (and slow) of 6 miles. I was starting to see and taste a half marathon  finish line on May 6th.  I could run and I was (finally) enjoying the good and bad runs.  Then, I had a set back- broken ribs which kept me out for 3 long weeks.  My first run back I was able to do 2 miles with walk breaks, then 3.  Now, I'm trying to stage my comeback - I'm just not sure how much/ how fast (or slow).  My plan for the next week is to do all three runs at 3 miles, trying to increase the distance between my walk breaks which are currently at 1 minute every half mile.  After that, I'm not sure. Do I increase my long run by a mile or a half mile every week, and take a recovery week 3 weeks? I'm ready to admit I cant do the May 6 half marathon, but would a June 9th one be out of the question.  What are your thoughts?

Stephanie

Stephanie,

You are 2 1/2 months away from the Half. I don't think it is out of reach, that's 10 weeks to go from 3 miles to a 10 or 11 mile run before the half. once you get to 10, you can easily do a half. I know I did that. Never ran the 13.1 until one day I said. I'm going to run it. If you wait till June, you will be even further along. Take a look at this training program. You are already ready to do week 3. Use your judgement though and make sure you feel up to it. You will be amazed at what the body can accomplish.

http://www.halhigdon.com/assets/_legacy/halfmarathon/halfnovice.pdf

Started C25K 6/26/2011 1 week out for injury recovery Repeated week 5 at higher altitude and week 6 because of traveling.

GRADUATED C25K 9/17/2011

Starting Weight 267 on 6/08/2011, 232#s on 8/4/2011, 226#s on 8/14/2011, 220#s on 9/3/2011, 216#s on 9/14/11, 214#s on 9/17/11, 210#s on 9/27/11, 207#s on 10/22/11, 203#s on 10/31/11, 195# 12/6/11, 189# 2/4/12, 185 2/14/12

Current Weight 183 2/22/12 not by Exercise or Diet Alone! COMBINED BOTH

Completed First Race Stephenville Lions Club Spooktacular 10K Oct 22 2011 1:04:09 10:21 pace 38/66 3rd place for over 50. PR

Tarleton University Homecoming 5K (3.46miles) Oct 29 2011 31:05 9:07 pace 37/87 6th place for over 50.

COWTOWN UNTHSC Half Marathon 2/26/2012 Over all 2767/6325 age group placement 182/350 2:11:02 PR

Running on Faith 5K 3/31/12 24:15 8:05 pace, Race was .1 miles short. 4th place for over 50. PR

http://athlinks.com/racer/114295812

http://www.endomondo.com/profile/2227052

http://runkeeper.com/user/charlesinarow/activity/46512892

http://www.facebook.com/#!/charles.alberson

http://charlesinarow.blogspot.com/

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...