Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2084953 Views 11,393 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2014 1:48 PM by CraigGinman RSS Go to original post 1 ... 681 682 683 684 685 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,230. Mar 12, 2012 5:28 AM (in response to Myloe)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Myloe wrote:

Hi. My name is Myloe and I only just got interested in walking.  I am about 287 pounds and 39 years old.  I have struggled with my weight since adolescence when my growth spirts stopped and my eating habits didn't.  I have gotten it down to about 180 just before and just after the birth of my only child in 1999.  In 2006, I was diagnosed with Lupus and many other physical and emotional problems.  I had to quit work and go on total disability in July 2007.  I have been putting on weight ever since, some as a result of medication, some because of depression, and some for lack of almost any activity outside of the house.

I am really scared about joining this.  I know I need to walk and this system will help me.  And I am trying to find out about our local walk/run club but I am afraid I would be seen as an embarrassing beginner.  But I think it would help me if I had real life people to walk with.  It makes me nervous to put myself out there.

The interresting thing about exercise is that it is difficult, even brutal at times, and it is true. Nothing about any of this is scary. There is a path. I am in the 280's and I ran 4 miles today slowly. I ran it at a 14 minute mile pace. So 1 hour or so. I started walking 1 mile. When I started it was hard. I couldn't do a mile without difficulty. There is a path and you can follow it. The way I did it was to walk 1 mile 3 times a week, then 2, then 3 and then 4. Once I got to 4 I started the couch to 5k program.

EDIT: I forgot to say that runners and walkers are universally nice in my experience. I have never met a mean runner. Running makes you happy and exercise makes you happy, it's great therapy, get out there and take back control!!! Good luck and post any questions here!

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• jjeter Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 15, 2012
    10,231. Mar 11, 2012 6:02 PM (in response to Zerorez)
    200+ Pound Club!

Finished week 6 day 3.  It was getting easier now shin splints, do the compression wraps work.  Mine are on the inside of my legs lower calf.  I got them alot when I played football when I was younger, but they were always on the outside of my leg. I'm 39 now and weight about 285, down from 315 when I started.  First 5k on 3-31-12, no time to stop shin splints have to go!  

• mitchm1557 Amateur 19 posts since
    Mar 8, 2011
    10,233. Mar 11, 2012 9:50 PM (in response to Myloe)
    200+ Pound Club!

Myloe,

I will say that the best groups of people I have ever met are runners. I started in a boot camp as the only "fat guy". Most of the people were quite accomplished runners. I almost didn't even go to the first class but am so glad I did. I found out that the atitudes of most if not all of them weren't "hey look at the fat guy running". Not even close they were so very supportive that it was almost unbelievable. Every class and every race I entered the support was great. Please give the running/walking group a shot and make some friends.

4-2-2011 Run like a fool 5k Olympia, Wa finished 35.22 (1st ever)

07/16/2011 Lakefair 8K Olympia, Wa  Finished 50.21

• runblissful Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    10,234. Mar 11, 2012 10:04 PM (in response to mitchm1557)
    200+ Pound Club!

To Miloe: I agree with others that runners and walkers, are very supportive. I have had poeple whoop and hollar at me because they saw me returning to the track. Once I talk to them, many runners used to be bigger. It is very inspiroing to tlk with other runners. My favorite bummper sticker says it all for me : Running is a mental sport; we are all crazy! lol

I am planning to run W3D2 tomorrow, I got off track this week and took 3 days off but I think I need it, I might be coming down with a cold as I am supper tired and keep feeling hot, then cold. I hope not.

cool running,

Kristi

• Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    10,235. Mar 12, 2012 2:52 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wideguy wrote:

Got back out again today.... 3 days off and without my arthritis meds, I needed them.  Took it slow and easy again, 1.57 miles in 20:01...  so still right at 13 minute miles.  Was a gorgeous night so I'm glad I went but man......  in case anyone wonders,  tacos, hard cider and birthday cake are NOT good pre-run fuel. 

I paid for it the whole 20 minutes and beyond.

But at least I got out and burned a tiny bit of it off. 

Now, off to bed.

Lol! Have you figured out what St Pats day race to go to? I am doing the 4 miler in Norwell because it boasts a beer glass as a prize. I had to buy new clothes this week. 44 pants gone, now using 40 pants. 3x shirts gone, now down to 2x. =)

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    10,236. Mar 12, 2012 6:24 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well, started my C25K redux last week.  I was quire surprised by how different it was this time around.  During my first time through, I insisted that my wife carry her cell phone because I was afraid I was going to have a heart attack.  Indeed, during the runs toward the end, I thought I was going to die.

This time, however, I felt my body protesting a bit about the prolonged exertion.  However, I never lost my wind.  My pace was also so much better.  During my first time through, my first 20 minute run was at a pace below 4 mph.  During W1D1 this time around, I did each run at a 5 mph pace, and did the final minute starting at 6 mph, ramping up to 8 mph.

So, for those of you going through for the first time, wondering if it really making any differnce: IT IS.

You're developing your endurance.  You're increasing your wind.  Don't worry about speed.  Just keep going, and don't give up.

I'm so impressed by how my body was able to maintain gains after another over a year if little activity.  It makes me wonder what I'd be like now had I stuck with it during the interim.  I guess I'll find that out over the next 11 months.

And finally, some good news on the weight front: as of last week, I'm below 270 for the first time since high school. Woot!

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10,237. Mar 12, 2012 6:59 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Took the morning off today because I had a very active weekend of sports and hiking. (That feels awesome to write.) I will be back running tomorrow.

The pounds are melting off and my energy is increasing geometrically. Why wouldn't anyone who wants to feel better do exactly what we are doing?

@afatmanrunning "And finally, some good news on the weight front: as of last week, I'm below 270 for the first time since high school. Woot!" - THAT IS FANTASTIC! Way to go!!!

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• Cardsfan4 Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 12, 2012
    10,239. Mar 12, 2012 7:21 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello all

I am a 41 year old male with some developing medical issues.  I am in the very starting stages of a life change. I am starting today with a running workout.  Slow to start. I was told by my dr the other day that I need to do something. I am closing in on 300 lbs.  I had started running program a year ago but my wife was doing it with me and she had a calf issue so I stopped. But after dr appoitment the other day I decided I need to do something. 

Goals

Drop around 40 lbs

Be able to run in a 5k someday in the near future. 

By biggest question is what do do about diet?  Anyone got any good Ideas.

My Dr told me the follwing

My triglycerides were high 417

My good clestorall was really low

Bloodpressure is high

Bloodsurgar is elevated

I really need to do something.

• Tlovewins Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 21, 2012
    10,241. Mar 12, 2012 7:47 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Everyone! I completed W3D3 on Saturday night and will start W4D1 this evening. It's been going really well so far. I have been able to complete everyday with the exception of W3D2. I had been out the night before and revisited my old friend, the cigarette. I was only able to do half the run the next day. I was so upset with myself! Needless to say, I learned my lesson and won't do that again!!

My question for you with more experience is...The tops of my feet are really hurting. I have lumps on them that hurt like crazy. I know that you have lymph nodes on top of your feet, and I wonder if this running is kicking up something. I've noticed it more, as I run more. I need to get some kind of arch supports also. I have high arches and even though I bought good running shoes, I can feel it in my arches. I know some of you run barefoot, and I'm not opposed to trying that. It makes a lot of sense. For right now, though, it's March in Northeast Ohio and I run outside. Call me a wimp if you must!

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

• joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10,242. Mar 12, 2012 8:11 AM (in response to Cardsfan4)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome Carsfan. Exercise and weight loss are the most important medicines (FOR ME) when it comes to lowering the bad things and elevating the good things. Each person is different but I can't imagine many scenarios where a fat person can't improve their health with more exercise and less weight. I have food addiction problems especially with bread, cakes, cookies, salty snacks. I also have an alcohol problem...I drink and when I drink, I drink alot and eat even more. I also dont exercise when I am hungover. So I know where I need to cut and what to avoid entirely. A version of the paleo diet works perfectly for me. Lots of fresh fruit, salads, nuts, cooked veggies, chicken, fish. When I eat bread I make it whole wheat. Regardless I ALWAYS make sure I count calories obsessively. When i go over, I do my best to work it off sa soon as possible. Just keep at it and i'm sure your health will improve.

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• Wizardmom Rookie 6 posts since
    Mar 12, 2012
    10,244. Mar 12, 2012 8:30 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone!  I'm Kelly, and I have decided to try this program and get my 220lb butt moving .  I turn 40 next month, and instead of feeling depressed about it, I've decided to embrace it and change my life to a healthier one.  I got dared to sign up for Warrior Dash, which I did, and now I'm determined that I'm not going to struggle my way through it. I've always wanted to learn how to run, so I'm hoping that this regimen will help ease me into it.

Motivation and determination will be difficult for me; I tend to start gung-ho then by Week 3, I'm done.  Hopefully I can stick to it this time.

Looking forward to reading posts here, and knowing that I CAN do it.

I'm a big fan of the minimalist shoes / barefoot running.  I have 2 pairs of FiveFingers and I love wearing them around, but I think I'm going to start this with my running shoes and get my stamina and endurance up, then start retraining my foot and leg muscles to handle barefoot running.

Start weight Mar. 2012: 215lbs

Started C25K Mar. 2012,

Currently on W2... finally!

Trying to stay motivated

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...