Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1889409 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 690 691 692 693 694 ... 756 Previous Next
  • Jennarena Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 12, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,366. Apr 16, 2012 10:59 PM (in response to Zerorez)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

I love your 25 tips! Thanks for sharing.

I just completed W1D2 and I a feeling  abit sore and tired. But I push on.

I joined endomondo... If anyone wants to be friends I am Jennefer Kielsmeier. Also welcome any FB friends. =^)

• Eris235 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 27, 2012
    10,367. Apr 17, 2012 11:00 AM (in response to Zerorez)

These 25 tips really help! I feel like I've been doing the right thing now that I read them over.

I can do about 2/3 of day 1 of the couch to 5k either on a podcast or through the C25k app on my iphone. I think I have a mental issue here more than a physical one. I'm just very afraid of getting hurt so I have to psych myself up a lot to push through and make more progress. I've been walking 1 day a week and then trying to do the day 1 workout the other 2 days. I'm in week 4 of my effort now. It really helps to know that there's other runners out there who are a similar weight to me who are doing it. It would be so easy to get discouraged if I thought all runners were wispy little waifs. Thanks so much for having this thread!

• Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    10,368. Apr 17, 2012 12:02 PM (in response to Eris235)

Awesome =)

I am happy you are out there! Another tip I found is that greek yogurt tends to curb appetite, that and water, so you can enjoy those within reason. 1 chobani = 120-140 calories and they have protein in them. Protein is good, it helps you build muscle. Muscle helps you lose weight. 3500 calories = 1 pound loss. Pair exercise with good food and you lose weight. Every pound over ideal weight = 6 seconds per mile slower. Lose weight and you can go faster. Go faster and you can log more miles and burn more calories per session. It's like a rock rolling down hill. Faster and faster you will become until you can bust through those hardships.

I would be much further ahead if I didn't really love beer and burgers. =)

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• tomiller97 Amateur 19 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    10,369. Apr 17, 2012 12:26 PM (in response to Eris235)

Good work getting out there!  You will start to notice a difference and it WILL get easier!!  Quick summary of my success to date.  I started at 330lbs, 6' tall and 30 years old.  I started the C25K and had trouble with the 5 minute runs, got discouraged...ran/walked a 5k and then stopped for months...got back into it last year...made it to the 8 minute runs and never got past, ran/walked a 5k in Sept 2011 a little faster but still could not run the whole thing..got discouraged and stopped...Last year i started lifting weights at lunch and this year my wife signed us up for a Tough Mudder event which forced me to have to run.  In December I started again and mentally got past the 8 minute sections , then the 20min run and finally to the point of running a full 5k!  Finally I graduated this year and now i'm able to run 4 miles with no pain and NOT having to stop to walk!!

This past weekend we completed the Tough Mudder event in Ohio which was an 11.5 mile long obstacle course.  I felt great!  It was  an amazing event that really pushed me to reach my goals of losing weight, transforming my fat weight to muscle weight and gaining the ability to run.  I'm not at 268lbs and a Tough Mudder!!    Saturday was a very happy day for me!

So keep it up everyone!!  Set a goal that forces you to stick to your training.  Be that a 5k or a Warrior Dash/Hell Run or Tough Mudder like I just completed.  The sense of accomplishment is amazing!  It truely raised my motivation to continue.  Now i'm starting the one hour runner training!  With the goal of completing a 10k in Ann Arbor this fall! 

Started C25K: Aug 4, 2010 Finished April 2012

Weight: April 2011: 330lbs

April 15, 2012: 268lbs

many excuses....more excuses...start over....

Current Status: COMPLETED 5k 34 minutes
    Recently ran 3.5miles in 35 minutes!

Races:

Race for the Cure 5k: 9/26/10 / 36:30

Race for the Cure 5k: 9/25/11 / 34:20

Ohio Tough Mudder: 4/15/12 / 4hours 15 minutes and a SUCCESSFUL FINISHER!!!!

• gmadenise Legend 202 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    10,370. Apr 17, 2012 1:10 PM (in response to tomiller97)

Hi everyone! Haven't posted here in awhile but I've been keeping up with all the new people and progress for everyone; way to go on getting out and doing something positive for yourself! I have said it before and I'll say it again, this is the best place to come for encouragement and support; I'm running today because of this thread.

I came across an article that I thought you'd appreciate, Wideguy, if you haven't seen it yet:

http://podiatrytoday.com/blogged/transitioning-runner-flatfoot-deformity-minimalist-running-shoe

More food for thought for those considering transitioning to barefoot or minimalist running shoes; it can be done, almost regardless of where you're starting from, and there are significant benefits. I've stopped using orthotics entirely after being in minimalist running shoes for the last year and a half; just did my first half marathon of the year (9th total) in some Brooks Pureflow, and I love them--lightweight and very easy to keep a forefoot/midfoot strike.

No matter where you're starting at, know that you can do this if you keep at it and learn to listen to your body. I started out two years ago at about 235 pounds and walking more than running (my "run" pace was a 15 minute mile--walkers would pass me when I was trying to run). Now I'm down to 147, averaging a 10-minute mile, and getting ready to do my first Ragnar Relay this summer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nike+: deniseg3 / dailymile / runkeeper / http://fitfocusedblessed.com

January 2010: 252 lbs.

Started C25K March 2010 @ 235 lbs.

First half marathon June 2011 @ 170 lbs.

First Ragnar Relay July 2012 @ 145 lbs.

• tomiller97 Amateur 19 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    10,371. Apr 17, 2012 1:36 PM (in response to Zerorez)

Have to agree with what Zerorez is saying here.  I changed my eating habits over the past year and it has made a big difference.  Before I was eating junk for breakfast with a Mt Dew for my coffee, snack machine trips before lunch, hamburgers, taco bell, whatever fast food for lunch with another big soda...candy bar snack....then big dinner just before bed.  Now my basic routine is to have a bowl of plain oatmeal with cinnamon and maybe a cut up banana for breakfast.  2-3 hours later I eat the Chobani Vanilla yogurt and add fresh berries or granola to it, then i go to the gym to work out then I will eat lunch (either Healthy Choice cafe steamers or chicken breast 6" sub at subway) then 2-3 hours later a snack such as peanut butter pretzels or PB & crackers...oat n honey bars, etc.  Then a "better" dinner at home.  Portion control being the hardest for me when I'm use to devouring a huge plate of spaghetti and find out that a portion is actually only the amount that you can fit in your hand!!!!  and no garlic bread!  arhghhh  I also gave up drinking soda entirely and started drinking coffee to get my caffeing.  Now coffee and water make up most of my liquid intake.  I also cut way back on the beer and wine.  Now as he said, a 3500 calorie deficit will result in 1 lost lb!!!  and if you break that down during the week thats 500 calories a day...so by exercising (following C25K) and reducing your current caloric intake by only a small amount, you can obtain the 500 calories easily..  I've dropped over 60lbs in a year...it does work!!  Just don't lose focus.  If you do 'celebrate' and have a big dinner or some beers etc etc..be careful because it is WAYYYY to easy to fall back into those bad habits!!  I've been there...I've done it...during the christmas holiday I was happy as I reached the 30 or 40lb weight loss point and figured I would enjoy the holidays and gained back 7lbs quick! 

Keep reading these responses...it really helps my motivation! 

Started C25K: Aug 4, 2010 Finished April 2012

Weight: April 2011: 330lbs

April 15, 2012: 268lbs

many excuses....more excuses...start over....

Current Status: COMPLETED 5k 34 minutes
    Recently ran 3.5miles in 35 minutes!

Races:

Race for the Cure 5k: 9/26/10 / 36:30

Race for the Cure 5k: 9/25/11 / 34:20

Ohio Tough Mudder: 4/15/12 / 4hours 15 minutes and a SUCCESSFUL FINISHER!!!!

• Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    10,373. Apr 19, 2012 3:38 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Zero, I did get that same second toe "hot spot" on both feet. Seems 1.65 was maybe a bit long for a first BF in a while. Didn't actually blister though.

Temps are supposed to be back down in the 40's and 50's the next week so hopefully I can motivate to still get out for my evening runs.

Sounds good, I ran this morning, it was about 55 I think. I am likely going to try for a minimal day tomorrow in my KSO's. Too much glass and debris to go full barefoot where I run, but I see how doing it for a while to get your stride would work well. I blister pretty easily. I actually run in Wright socks for every run in my Brooks. I also tend to get into my podcasts and just tune out of my body and into the podcast. I listen to "The Bugle", "This American Life" "Boing Boing Gweek" and "Bullseye" and those are super entertaining. The bugle is british/american comedy with plenty of swearing, Gweek is for builders/comic/art/fantasy book readers, Bullseye is random and This american life is about real stories from real people. So if you aren't listening to these and are getting bored try one out and get out there. Part of why I run is "Me" time with funny stuff and interresting stuff I like.  Also Audible is out there with books for $15 a month. Want to check out what is going to happen on Game of Thrones early? Bam. Run and listen! =) I think I had to use two credits for that though.

Update: Vibram KSO run. Did 3rd day 1.88 miles, FLEW down the road. I didn't work on form today, I worked on speed and I clocked an 11:08 minute mile on my first mile and on the .88 mile I did it in 10:20. I had been worrying that the minimal shoes would slow me down, but if today is any indication of what's to come then I am shocked and happy to see what comes next.

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• Wizardmom Rookie 6 posts since
    Mar 12, 2012
    10,374. Apr 19, 2012 8:51 AM (in response to tomiller97)
    200+ Pound Club!

Tom I like what you say about changing eating habits.  I recently started a food journal and it's been amazing to see how horribly I've really been eating.

My main problem is this: I always seem "on the go", get up, get the kids off for school, go to work, go home, get both girls to soccer/softball practice.. By the time I get home it's after 7pm and I'm just whacked, and still have to make dinner. Do you plan your meals out ahead of time? Food is actually not a forethought in my mind, so I'm usually grabbing something quick wherever we're going. Yes, HORRIBLE. And on top of that, I'm a Celiac, so I should be eating gluten-free and I'm not.

Don't mean to vent, but just wondering how everyone out there changed their habits. I've tried, but it's turning out to be REALLY hard...

Start weight Mar. 2012: 215lbs

Started C25K Mar. 2012,

Currently on W2... finally!

Trying to stay motivated

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    10,375. Apr 19, 2012 9:04 AM (in response to Wizardmom)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wizardmom wrote:

Tom I like what you say about changing eating habits.  I recently started a food journal and it's been amazing to see how horribly I've really been eating.

My main problem is this: I always seem "on the go", get up, get the kids off for school, go to work, go home, get both girls to soccer/softball practice.. By the time I get home it's after 7pm and I'm just whacked, and still have to make dinner. Do you plan your meals out ahead of time? Food is actually not a forethought in my mind, so I'm usually grabbing something quick wherever we're going. Yes, HORRIBLE. And on top of that, I'm a Celiac, so I should be eating gluten-free and I'm not.

Don't mean to vent, but just wondering how everyone out there changed their habits. I've tried, but it's turning out to be REALLY hard...

Changing the 'lifestyle' IS the hardest part, and anyone that says it's easy is flat wrong.

For me, now I throw some healthy snacks in a cooler if I'm going to have a crazy day or stop at a local grocery store for string cheese, fruit, etc.  I recently had to make a 5+ hour drive and an overnight trip to one of our manufacturing sites.  Instead of eating fast food on the road, I packed a cooler with dinner, breakfast and dinner for the following days drive home (lunch was a salad during our working lunch).  I was driving in the evening eating cold leftovers from the night before.

It can be done.  It takes preparation.  Everyone's different here though, sometimes 'life' gets in the way of a lot of things, no need to feel bad about that.

Cheers!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• AndreaH1 Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 12, 2012
    10,376. Apr 19, 2012 12:08 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone!  I'm a newbie and honestly can't believe I'm "here".  I never in a million years would picture myself even attempting to run.  But, I'm so fed up with being overweight, gotta do something.  I'm 45, 5'4" and 225 (ack).  I listened to a couple coworkers talk about running all the time and it started to sink in that maybe I would really like feeling a runner's high!  I haven't been following the c25k so much, kinda been doing my own thing for about 4 weeks now.  Not too much progress but I don't push myself too far to the edge as I know that's a sign in my brain to give up.  I'm currently walk/running 1.6 miles.  I do 4-5 two minute runs during that time, which equal .6.  Where would I start on the c25k?  Week 2?  Week 3? 

I wish I could listen to music but my dog goes with me and we live in the boonies so I need to listen for cars, etc, coming up on my.  Never know what animal is gonna come bounding out of the woods into the road, lol! 

How can I get myself past a two minute jog/run?  It's my breathing that totally slows me down...2 minutes seems to be the limit.  I can't breathe out of my nose (well, I can but I don't get near enough air) so I'm doing all mouth breathing.  I try to keep it slow but the closer I get to the 2 minute mark I start panting!  I've been using jogtracker to track my jog/run portions of my walk. 

Thanks for any tips, etc you can offer! 

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    10,377. Apr 19, 2012 7:34 PM (in response to Wizardmom)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wizardmom

I can sympathize. I am a teacher and with all the afterschool programs I am involved in the diet can get to be crazy. I have gotten ahead of it by doing a couple of things.

One is I pre package a lot of lunches on the weekend so that I have an easy to snatch lunch to grab out of the freezer. Every day on average I make a quick salad to take with me (veggies, blue cheese, turkey hams, and a light dressing in a seperate container) along with a couple of healthy snack options like some fruit, or a few almonds and a light chocolate milk. I find if I snack several times during the day I am not as ravenous at night. I also have a pretty strong rule that I don't eat anything after 7pm - if I do, I know I go into snack/binge mode.

The other trick I learned is also pre package snacks. Things like nuts and crackers and cookies and whatever are generally packaged in larger than a single serving amount so I pre package those snack items into zip lock bags when I buy the items - part of the process of unbagging the groceries. It takes a little more time to unbag but it makes a huge difference when you have to grab something quick on your way out the door.

Finally I run in the morning, so I try to take a few minutes every night before bed to organize my running gear - check to make sure my Garmin and iPod is charged, and check that some good breakfast and lunch choices are ready to grab from the fridge/freezer/counter. When I am done running I have little time to get the house up and on the way so the more I do the night or weekend before the better.

The key is try to have a good choice of easy to grab, healthy foods you can take with you in a bag or a cooler. I have an insulated lunch bag that keeps things cold a good long time, and then I throw in a reused gatorade bottle full of frozen water on top to give me a cold drink to start the day with and help keep the munchies cooler longer.

Hope some of these ideas help.

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    10,378. Apr 20, 2012 12:51 PM (in response to Wizardmom)
    200+ Pound Club!

Really love Snerb and Guayquilwriter's suggestions so far.

Wizardmom- I hear you! I am soo lazy when it comes to cooking dinner. It's a big part of why I too often resort to fast food. Combination of being unprepared, letting myself get hungry, and being too lazy to make something healthier. Even when I was making dinner at home wasn't always the best choices like things that would bake in 10 to 15 minutes and be easy to eat but high calorie, high fat, and just nothing that would leave me feeling too good after.

I feel like this is always a work in progress for me, like I always learn a little more. I had taken to drinking a protein shake for breakfast then eating a protein bar for lunch at work. I also had been jogging on my lunch at work. Combine this with a cup of black coffee in the morning and I wasn't having appetite problems. The protein is certainly filling. But I can see how having a bunch of packaged food during the day is not the best healthy option either, though it was working for me. Now that I'm jogging after work I find this isn't working as well, probably because the jogging was partially suppressing my appetite. So I'm planning to get some easy to eat and low calorie fruits and veggies to have as snacks, like others have said I try to make that part of my grocery putting away routine every week.

For dinners I am really liking my grocery store's bags of frozen veggies, many of which can be cooked stir fry style. I use maybe 1/4 cup of 1/2 cup of rice or pasta, then half a bag or more of veggies. Sometimes use a little soy and garlic powder, or sometimes a little salsa for flavoring. Thinking of playing with other variations of this, but it's nice and quick (5 minutes to cook the veggies, 10-20 for the rice/pasta that mostly cooks itself while I can be doing other things).

Am looking forward to hearing other folks suggestions on this as this is something I really struggle with. I hear yogurt and string cheese make good protein filled snack options but I'm lactose intolerant so not an option for me.

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    10,379. Apr 21, 2012 12:08 PM (in response to Hazzardous)

I'm not a doctor, but I personally wouldn't run with plantar fasciitis. You have probably already read about how to treat it. My neighbor ran with plantar's since February and it's getting worse. It threw off his stride, and now he hurt his back (while running).

When I had mine (plantar) it felt like a rock in my shoe, even when I was just walking, nevermind running. I rode my bike that summer for about six weeks before it cleared up. I started running when I was 210 lbs. Two years later, I'm just starting to like it. After shin splints, plantar fasciitis, and a hamstring pull, things are going better now. I still like lifting weights and biking more, but running is convenient. I can do it almost anywhere.

I'm no longer part of the 200+ club, but have enjoyed reading the posts on here.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...