Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2144817 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 694 695 696 697 698 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,425. May 25, 2012 6:55 AM (in response to ffmedicmt)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congratulations on you success to date and Good luck with your HM tomorrow Mike.

Let us know how you do.

Cheers!!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    10,426. May 25, 2012 7:07 AM (in response to ffmedicmt)
    200+ Pound Club!

ffmedicmt wrote:

Well the day has come. Ive lost 85 lbs! Ive put in the time! Ive had some set backs and time off with pain and injury.  Tomorrow am, I will attempt my first Half Marathon. I followed HH half for beginers but Im worried that 10 miles was not long enough and it was so hard! Im excited and scared to death at the same time. This is by far the most diffacult thing can ever remember trying to do in life. Army Basic seemed less scary than this. Please wish me luck! after tomorrow I will no longer refer to myself as "fat man running" after tomorrow I will refer to myself as a runner!!!!    Mike

AWESOME! You can do this, you are an inspiration!! Good luck!

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• gmadenise Legend 202 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    10,427. May 25, 2012 10:11 AM (in response to ffmedicmt)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

ffmedicmt wrote:

Well the day has come. Ive lost 85 lbs! Ive put in the time! Ive had some set backs and time off with pain and injury.  Tomorrow am, I will attempt my first Half Marathon. I followed HH half for beginers but Im worried that 10 miles was not long enough and it was so hard! Im excited and scared to death at the same time. This is by far the most diffacult thing can ever remember trying to do in life. Army Basic seemed less scary than this. Please wish me luck! after tomorrow I will no longer refer to myself as "fat man running" after tomorrow I will refer to myself as a runner!!!!    Mike

Congratulations on the loss, that is great. You got this, Mike--trust your training, 10 miles IS enough! I felt the same way before my first half last year, and the 'experts' were right. The energy and excitement of the race will carry you through the extra 5K, just try not to go out too fast at the start and pace yourself throughout. Whether you finish as fast as you hope or not, you'll be a half marathoner when you're done--WOO HOO for you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nike+: deniseg3 / dailymile / runkeeper / http://fitfocusedblessed.com

January 2010: 252 lbs.

Started C25K March 2010 @ 235 lbs.

First half marathon June 2011 @ 170 lbs.

First Ragnar Relay July 2012 @ 145 lbs.

• Shane Breaux Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012
    10,429. May 25, 2012 11:41 AM (in response to ffmedicmt)
    200+ Pound Club!

Good luck with your half!

• ffmedicmt Amateur 23 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    10,430. May 26, 2012 8:00 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well I finished the Half Marathon today...2 hrs 22mins with no walking....most difficult thing I have done since Army Basic Training when I was 18 yrs old. I am so proud you can not believe. However, yesterday I had thoughts about a full marathon.....tonight I have no desire to ever run that far.

Started running July 1st 2011

Weight #306

Height 6'0"

First 5k Sept 3rd 2011 time 34:39

Second 5k Oct 1st 2011 time 30:11

Oct 8th 2011 Mackinaw Bridge 5.6 miles time 56:42

Third 5k 11/24/11 Dork Brothers Turkey Trot 5k Alpena, MI time 27:40

Fourth 5k March 17th 2012 Dork Brothers St Paddy day 5k Alpena, MI 30:25

Ffifth 5k April 28th 2012 Autisim speaks run/walk Rogers City,MI 27:40

First Half Marathon, May 26th 2012 Bayshore Marathon Traverse City MI. 2 hrs 22 Mins

Current Weight 225#

Shooting for Half Marathon in May 2012 *********** I did it !!!!!

June 9th 2012 Mackinac Island Lilac fest 10k 1:04:02

July 4th 2012 Dork Brothers run 5k 29:45

Aug 4th 2012 Nautical fest Rogers city 6k 44:44 with a 12:05 pace with daughter Melissa as her eyes

Aug 25th 2012 Crim race flint 10 mi 02:04:57

Current Weight 240#

Sept 1 2012 Aliferis 5k Alpena 36:13 with daughter Melissa (who is blind)

Sept 3rd 2012 Govenors Mackinac Bridge run 4.33 miles 44:16 with a 10:13 pace, with daughter Amanda...we rocked it!

oct-dec 2012....no running ...weight Jan 1 2013 275# started running again!!

March 16 2013 Dork brothers Run with the leprechauans 5k Alpena 33:02 pace 10:18 weight 255#

May 1 2013 Current Weight #245......Boo!!! got get going on it!!!

May 18 2013 Rogers City Autisim 5k....36:30 with Melissa and Amanda

May 25 2013 Mackinac bridge 5.25 mile 50:39 with a 9:39 pace NEW PR !!!!! Weight still 245#

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    10,431. May 26, 2012 8:08 PM (in response to ffmedicmt)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hope your race goes well - I've now done 4 official and one DIY - I ran 21K last Saturday in Goldendale Wa, as my son was presenting at WASAR conference.  I was signed up for the MCHH in Fredericksburg Va, but was not in the area....I decided that while he was presenting I would do my own 1/2 marathon.  It was different to say the least.  This is the farthest I've ever gone on a solo run - just me and my Iphone.  I set up myself for water breaks (I measured off a 3.2ish K loop and stored water in my rental car).  It was tougher on the second half than the first.  A bit of boredom  ( I don't get the runner high) and not alot of scenery in this town, my loop  which was basically one mile downhill and one mile back up.  Goldendale is on the dry side of the Columbia river gorge  (they let bicycles ride on the interstate there too - only place I've seen that before is Australia) and the weather was perfect  mid 60's, light breeze. 

I decided to count this one as an "official" run and keep timer on continiously  (did not pause for water breaks etc) just like a timed event. 

As for 10 miles being long enought - I have no doubt you will do fine - my longest run before my first 1/2 was a 10K.  Just remember to run your pace, not pass up any water stops, and enjoy yourself. 

Skoal/OGR44

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• Zyndyna Amateur 14 posts since
    May 21, 2012
    10,432. May 29, 2012 5:48 AM (in response to Zerorez)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks Zerorez and Ksbjbush so I have done an enitre week of the what I would call fast paced walking I walked four days last week. I went Saturday and shelled out the money for the shoes from my local running store. I didnt realiaze there was so many different things to it. Sad to say the fast paced walking is still kicking my butt. I walk 1 mile in about 28 mins. I dont know if that is technically fast paced or not but it is to me. Still having a problem with my shins killing me. Is there something I can do to fix this?? I am assuming that I shouldnt start incorporating the jogging until I can do this with out feeling like I wont make it to the end? I am trying to make sure not to over exert myself. I can talk during exercise but will have to take breaths in between sentences, usually I dont get to this point till about halfway through my walk. I think if I could get my legs to stop feeling like someone is kicking me every time I walk it would help. Also the guys at the Running store recommened the Jeff Galloway run walk method. Anyone have experince with this? Thank you guys for the support and answers.

Aug 4, 2011
    10,433. May 29, 2012 6:09 AM (in response to Zyndyna)
    200+ Pound Club!

@ Zyndyna Honestly I had to walk for a long time before I could run effectively. It was painful at first as well. I would walk or run every other day. Do not go consecutive days at first. Your body needs to get stronger. I was reading up on shin splints and it said basically not having the proper footwear and excessive use are the main factors. Basically you need to take it slow. I had it too for a bit. Everyone is different, but you just need to not run hurt. If the pain is in the front of your shin it's likely shin splints which means your core probably could be stronger. If it's the back then it's muscles developing, use a rolling pin or a tool called "the stick" to work on those muscles. Here is a link to some advice on this. http://www.hivehealthmedia.com/beginner-tips-overweight-runner/

I guess I am the walk first evangelist here, but it really worked for me. I can now do 6 miles with a 12:20 min/mi pace, which is slow, but I am still 25 pounds from being just "overweight" and technically 71 pounds from being "normal weight" so I have a long way to go still.

I know the temptation is to go great guns and just "get it done" but unfortunately this is a long haul, possibly years depending on the things in your life. I would say walk until it doesn't hurt, you will still be burning tons of calories and strengthening your core. Every time a runner goes by you think of me, because I was the person watching the runners go by. I vowed to be able to run as well and it took a while. But I got there. You will too.

The apps I recommend is a smartphone with couch25k app. It will help you slowly start the walk-run program. I also use Endomondo for tracking miles and speed.

Good luck!

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Using Endomondo!

May 21, 2012
    10,434. May 29, 2012 6:27 AM (in response to Zerorez)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks Zerorez I know you know how it is I just want to be able to progress and get on the right track. Yes it hurts strictly in the front of the legs. I have a andriod smart phone. I never thought about checking for apps on there. I think one of the things that is must disheartening right now is every sense I have started weight watchers I will do really well on weight loss one week but gain the next. I dont do anything different from week to week it just seems to work that way. So I will feel like I am gaining ground and then I will be slid back. So I was all psyched up for weigh in day this week thinking I have done really good I have exercised followed my diet etc I know I lost at least one pound. I weighed 277.8 last week I weighed this morning and I was 280.2 to say I wanted to chunk the scale out the window would be an understatement. I did go for my physical last month and they found that my thyroid was borderline low and they have started me on a low dose medication. I dont know if that is the problem or what. How long did you walk before you was able to do anything else?

• AndreaH1 Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 12, 2012
    10,435. May 29, 2012 6:35 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I've been run/walking since the very end of March, I have made it up to 3 minutes running, 3 minutes walking.  I weigh 224.  About once or twice a week I am able to push myself and run a whole 1/2 mile (yay!) and feel fairly good afterwards, no aches or pains and not too badly out of breath.  Sweat like mad though, yuck.  I'm run/walking 3-4 times a week, usually around 2 miles each time and I'm seeing ZILCH for weight loss.  Mind you, I haven't changed my eating habits too much but have been cutting down.  After all this time, shouldn't I at least see 5 pounds or something?  I really trying to not let it get me down but it's a huge part of why I started this.  I will say though, that I've caught the bug and I usually can't wait to get out there and exercise.

Aug 4, 2011
    10,436. May 29, 2012 6:43 AM (in response to Zyndyna)
    200+ Pound Club!

Zyndyna wrote:

Thanks Zerorez I know you know how it is I just want to be able to progress and get on the right track. Yes it hurts strictly in the front of the legs. I have a andriod smart phone. I never thought about checking for apps on there. I think one of the things that is must disheartening right now is every sense I have started weight watchers I will do really well on weight loss one week but gain the next. I dont do anything different from week to week it just seems to work that way. So I will feel like I am gaining ground and then I will be slid back. So I was all psyched up for weigh in day this week thinking I have done really good I have exercised followed my diet etc I know I lost at least one pound. I weighed 277.8 last week I weighed this morning and I was 280.2 to say I wanted to chunk the scale out the window would be an understatement. I did go for my physical last month and they found that my thyroid was borderline low and they have started me on a low dose medication. I dont know if that is the problem or what. How long did you walk before you was able to do anything else?

Yea, I hear ya. I am slow to lose. I started this Jan 1 2011 and am down about 75 pounds so far. I walked from april to about august, so about 4 months. I added milage every week. First 1 then 2 then 3 per walk. You will also need to gain muscle to make this happen so you likely should focus on clothes fitting and waist circumference. The NSV (Non Scale Victory) is what to really focus on. One thing that happened to me is that I did Atkins for a year and did other diets without exercise and I lost weight, but I also lost a lot of muscle so I had to gain muscle back before I was able to effectively exercise.

I also read a study which states "diet" drinks and foods actually mess with the body, same with heavy preservatives. I figured I would try eating just prepared healthy foods and black coffee, tea and water exclusively (honey in the tea) and I had another rapid weight loss right after. Not sure if that will help you but it helped me. Avoid fried foods, avoid heavy foods. Go for subway and wraps and salads and learn to enjoy them. I think diet is the hardest for me, but without diet change it's hard to let the exercise do it's job.

I also love beer. And gin and tonics. I have reduced those as well, but it is tough sometimes because I want to get a pizza and beer and just sit and watch a sports game. So I usually do. But I am also running 1600 calories off the days that I do that. I would say shoot for about 50 pounds a year and don't worry about it. It took years to get there it will likely take years to get it off. But the good news? It's much slower to come back and when you are done you will have the weapon of running in your fitness arsenel. Have the cupcake, go run for a half an hour.

Using Endomondo!

May 21, 2012
    10,437. May 29, 2012 6:59 AM (in response to Zerorez)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks I know it took forever and I am thankful that I am defintely smaller then I was. I at one point was 350 pds. So at least I am not that size anymore. My sister started Weight watchers the same time as me granted she was a lot smaller but she is already down to a size 10 from a size 20. Thanks for the support.

• Trishinator Legend 234 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    10,438. May 29, 2012 7:12 AM (in response to AndreaH1)
    200+ Pound Club!

AndreaH1 wrote:

I've been run/walking since the very end of March, I have made it up to 3 minutes running, 3 minutes walking.  I weigh 224.  About once or twice a week I am able to push myself and run a whole 1/2 mile (yay!) and feel fairly good afterwards, no aches or pains and not too badly out of breath.  Sweat like mad though, yuck.  I'm run/walking 3-4 times a week, usually around 2 miles each time and I'm seeing ZILCH for weight loss.  Mind you, I haven't changed my eating habits too much but have been cutting down.  After all this time, shouldn't I at least see 5 pounds or something?  I really trying to not let it get me down but it's a huge part of why I started this.  I will say though, that I've caught the bug and I usually can't wait to get out there and exercise.

Hi Andrea -

I can tell you from my personal experience that "cutting down" wasn't enough, mostly because I have a terrible sense of portion size.  I did a redo of C25K earlier this year and just "cleaned up" my eating without really doing anything to get it under control.  In 3 months of running (I had a 5 week setback thanks to a foot injury), I lost 0 lbs while thinking I was eating better.  I started using an online food tracker on 4/30 and tracking everything I eat - plus I got out the food scale and measuring tools and actually started managing my portion sizes and making sure I was putting the right amounts of things in.  Plus I upped my water intake to a minimum of 2.25 liters/day and usually 3 or more.  Net effect is that today, I am down 11.2lbs from 4/30 after months of not seeing any change.  It's clear to me that I can't guess a portion size accurately to save my life, and if I want to lose weight, I have to really keep track of what I am doing.  Just something to consider before you let it get you down.

C25K Graduate - 5/22/10, Started over 1/3/12

One Hour Runner Graduate - 7/30/10

Nike + id: tjkness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26/10 - 5K at the Lake Tahoe Marathon - 47:47

• AndreaH1 Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 12, 2012
    10,439. May 29, 2012 7:20 AM (in response to Trishinator)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks, I know about portions, hard to control.  I told my husband yesterday that the only way I've ever been able to lose weight it by eating almost nothing. I know it's not the way to go but I've tried most other ways, even when I was younger, and never got anywhere.  I don't want to go back to literally starving myself so I just try to cut portions more and hope for the best!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...