Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2233037 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 729 730 731 732 733 ... 760 Previous Next
  • shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,950. Aug 28, 2013 6:45 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Thanks WideGuy, you're the plank holder of this thread and as such the Grand Pubah/Head of Inspiration. 

As has been implied numerous times in this thread, do the work, the results will happen; I've finally gotten my life well enough in order to run consistently for the last four and a half months (and hopefully for the next six-hundred *or more*, at which point I'll be 106).  When I finally got my butt back out on the trail in mid April I was somewhere north of 245 pounds (I was afraid to weigh myself but I was 245 in early May when I visited the doctor for an eye infection), I did what you and Paul advise, I "stretched" myself, and today, nearly 700 miles later, my "morning" weight slipped below 200 pounds for the first time since 2003.

Keep running; you're an inspiration to all of us.

Regards,

Dale

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • dreamertrish Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 27, 2013
    10,951. Aug 27, 2013 10:41 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi folks! 

Is this the thread to go to as a 300 pound 'new' runner?  I've tried to do the program a couple of times before and not gotten past the first week...today I started and it felt good (even though I did feel self-conscious when cars passed me).  I did all but the last two running spurts, and I feel great this evening..not nearly as sore as I thought I would.  I considered trying again tomorrow since I didn't run all the way through, but am thinking I may take the rest day.  I don't want to push too far and destroy my motivation because I can't make it.  I'm excited to become a 'fit' person!

Blessings,

Trish

Aug 9, 2013
    10,952. Aug 28, 2013 6:52 AM (in response to dreamertrish)

Hey Trish,

Congratulations on starting the C25K; it's a big step and your body will thank you. 

Regarding your question, personally, I'd take a rest day (but only one).  I am a firm believer in the "slow to start, sure to finish" maxim; pushing too hard in the beginning is a sure way to get hurt, then motivation or no, you won't be running.  One very important thing to note: I've heard from many C25K alumni that it is very important and very helpful to repeat days or even weeks when any given set of segments just weren't happening yet.

So, pat yourself on the back for the work you did yesterday, take today off, and go at it again tomorrow. 

Regards,
    Dale

Fat old man PRs:

• MimiPimentel Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 30, 2013
    10,953. Aug 30, 2013 11:39 AM (in response to dreamertrish)

Hi there (to dreamertrish and everyone else), this is my first "post-military" attempt at running/walking a 5k. It's been many years, and tears, since i've seen the scale go lower than 200.  I started the C25k this week and i am looking for encouragement and support on this journey.  The event i chose is in November, for my birthday nonetheless!!

Kudos to those who have gone before me, i look forward to learning from their wisdom...

Bessings to u as well,

Mimi

PS. I live in Quebradillas, PR, so if there is anyone in this group nearby, i'd love to hear from you.

Aug 9, 2013
    10,954. Aug 30, 2013 11:57 AM (in response to MimiPimentel)

Hey Mimi,

Congratulations on starting a new journey; if you stay with it the adventure will be as rewarding as the satisfaction you got from completing boot camp (errr, well, at least I got lots of satisfaction from getting the hell out of hell, errr, boot camp).

The best advice I can give is to take it easy, work for slow and incremental gains, and listen to your body; if it says "Geez, I'm tired", then you're doing it right, if it says, "My knee (or hip, shin, ankle, foot...) is so painful I feel like I'm going to fall over", then STOP, rest, and resume the program a few days (or weeks as the case may be) later.  The thing is, once the commitment is made to improve one's life and health, many folks have a tendency to try and reach their weight and health goals in too short of a timespan, and they get hurt and discouraged, and never reach those goals.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

Dale

Semper-Fi!

Fat old man PRs:

• Briggie1123 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010
    10,955. Aug 30, 2013 7:49 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone! 

I just wanted to provide a voice of support from a fellow 200+ runner!  And that whatever goal you dream, you can achieve.  I've been running since 2006.  I started running 5ks. Then I did a 10k.  In 2011, my trainer challenged me to do a half marathon.  I've now run 7 halfs with 6 more scheduled for this Fall. I am addicted to running and so proud of myself. I still get looks but I could care less because I know that even though I weigh 260 I can still run further than most of the people giving me weird looks! 

Believe in yourself!  You can accomplish anything!

Run happy,

Brigitte

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10,956. Aug 31, 2013 7:29 PM (in response to dreamertrish)
    200+ Pound Club!

Trish,

It's awesome that you have started on this fabulous journey.  Don't be self concious because you have decided to do for you what other sports do for punishment.  for that alone, you deserve respect.  Other runners only have respect for you and those that don't run...well they think all runners are crazy.  LOL

I am a firm believer in taking your rest days. It doesn't mean you can't do anything but you shouldn't run.  Swim, yoga, zumba, strength train, dance, or 30 day challenge of some sort are great things to do on your rest days.

Repeat as many days or weeks as needed. If you push too far too soon then you open yourself up to injury and nobody wants that.  If you can find a running buddy in the area, I encourage you to do so. It can make all the difference in the world. But if not, check in with us everyday. If you are on FAcebook, like some pages that will motivate you :  theheavyweight runner, pride puddles, the fat girls guide to running, aimees corner and of course See fluffy run.  all are inspirational pages that are created by women who run and have lost the weight with running or are still on their journey. 

@Mimi...PR?!?!?!?  I love PR!  My bestfriend is from there and 3 years ago I went for the first time to attend her wedding.  It was at El Convento.  So so beautiful...  My dream is to go back and run a marathon or half marathon there.  You guys have the most perfect weather.  I am soooo jealous.  We were there in November of that year.  I offer the same advice that I offer Trish.  Make friends, surround yourself with other runners, either online or in person.  Take it slow and listen to your body.

I am excited to hear more from you gals.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• AnneofGreenGables Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 17, 2013
    10,957. Aug 31, 2013 8:25 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello all,  Just checked my weight and am no longer over 200 just under,  but I still think I will stay in this board.    Managed to do one 5k this summer (mostly walking) and just signed up for a 2nd one.   Hopefully, by the time it comes in sept.  I will be able to run at least 1 1/2  miles of it.

• tclaremont Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 3, 2013
    10,958. Sep 3, 2013 9:41 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

New member here. Trying to make progress like everyone else.

I started the year at 5'10 and 267 lbs, male. No physical activity to speak of. Was not paying attention to my intake. My motto was "It is never too late to get in shape, so whats the hurry?"

Effective 1/1/13 I cut calories down to 1500 - 1700 per day. Only TWO exceptions to that in nine months. Eating not just less, but better. I even ate a vegetable once. Effect on weight over six months? 7 pounds improvement (all in first two weeks). Not impressed.

Effective 7/1/13 joined gym at work (it is brand new ior I would have joined sooner) Have been working out four to five days a week for 60 to 90 minutes each time. Typically 15 miles on the recumbent (15 mph is moving right along!)  plus additional time on the treadmill. Effect on weight since 7/1? Zero pounds lost.

Effective 8/1/13, in addition to the above I am doing a 5k per week at the local high school outdoor track. Improving my time each week. Effect on weight since 8/1? Zero pounds lost.

Effective 9/1/13, in addition to the above I have purchased a mountain bike. Immediately after my 5k on Monday I jumped on the bike for a 5k ride. Effect on weight since 9/1? Zero pounds lost.

So, after buying perspiration wicking shirts and shorts, running shoes, running socks, sweat bands, water bottles, gym bags, a bike, a helmet, bike shorts, three bike seats in an attempt to stop the butt pain, another bike for the wife, a car carrier to carry the bikes, and entrance fees to 5ks, I figure this whole escapade is running me about $214.29 per pound.

On the plus side, I FEEL better, and friends and co-workers say I LOOK better. I sleep better. And best of all my blood pressure is down to 120/80 from a high of 167/120 when I started.

The only noteworthy item I can think of to mention is that I am taking medication for hypothyroidism.

With that being said...  what the heck is it going to take to get the pounds off? MORE time at the gym? Cutting calories FURTHER? Hydroxycut? Hypnosis? Spending more money? At this rate it will cost me $12,587.40 to get down to 200 lbs. If it were as simple as that I would write the check right now!

Aug 9, 2013
    10,959. Sep 3, 2013 10:58 AM (in response to tclaremont)

Here's what worked for me:

• I found a good soft dirt trail and started logging many long slow running miles.

That's it.  No diet, no gym, no bike, and no races for the first five months.  I'm 5'8", I weighted somewhere between 245 and 255 in April of this year when I started running (I was afraid to get on the scale but I was 245 in mid May when I visited my doctor for an eye infection).  I ran roughly 40 miles in April, 60ish in May, 136 in June, 218 in July, and 254 in August; as of last Saturday (when I ran a 10-mile race) my weight had dropped down to 195 pre-race, and 189 post-race (it was a hot and humid day and I lost a pretty fair amount of water).

Yes, it took a lot of time run all of those miles, however, I didn't have to spend time driving to the gym or to a place good for cycling; I figure I typically spent less than eight hours per week on the trail through the end of June, maybe nine to ten per week in July, and about twelve hours one week in August when I logged 69 miles.

The best news of all, I didn't restrict my diet at all; I typically consume at least 3,000 calories per day. 

It would be interesting to see if the above works for you as well; keep us posted on your progress.

Fat old man PRs:

• Erick Phillips Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 29, 2012
    10,960. Sep 4, 2013 6:54 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Newbie to this thread but I'd like to think I am now an experienced runner.  Congrats to everyone here on their running efforts.  The one thing that I have found since I started running about a year and a half ago is that consistency is the key.  It doesn't take long to lose your endurance if you take a few weeks off.  I have found that signing up for 10K's and half marathons forces me to get out there and log the miles.  In addition, long weekend runs are crucial.  Lastly, I have many friends and coworkers that are running sub 8 min miles and it took me a while to realize that because I am a big guy (a little fat and a little muscle) that there is just no way I am able to run those times.  I had to put the competitive side of me aside and just run for fun and health. 

A little about me.  I started running at 245 pounds and completed a 10 week C25K program.  Prior to that, I couldn't even run to the mailbox and back.  From there, I committed myself to running a half marathon and completed Hal Higdon's HM training program.  Since that time, I have run several 5K's, 10K's and half marathons.  I have been able to keep off about 20 pounds since I started. 

• NJrunner80 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 4, 2013
    10,961. Sep 4, 2013 7:50 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

New to Active.com.  December 2011 started my weight loss and exercise routine.  I am 5'9" started right around 258.  Today, I weigh ~210 and just signed up for my first 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks.  Last week I ran 11 miles as part of training and took me 2 hours flat.

Feel great and wanted to encourage anyone and everyone that you can do it if you put your mind to it.

I will post back after I finish the 1/2.

• AuntieNeen Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 4, 2012
    10,962. Sep 4, 2013 10:31 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone-

I'm so glad I found this community!  I'm over 300lbs, and have recently started running.  I began with walking and could barely do a mile in January.  By July I could run for about 25% of my workout and improved from 22 mi/min to 17.5 mi/min.  Then I walked off a curb wrong and sprained the heck out of both of my ankles.  It's been 2 months since the injury, and I'm just now getting back into my routine, but I'm struggling.  My ankle is still somewhat sore, but I use a support brace and it's no more sore after 30 minutes on the treadmill than after anything else, so I'm just going with it. 

I really appreciate all of the suggestions for plantar fascitis, so I thought I'd ask if anyone had any suggestions for strengthening ankles or helping them heal.  I've completed a few 5K's, all walking.  I had planned to officially run the Disneyland 5K this past weekend but couldn't get back to my pace fast enough after the injury and had to miss.  I'm signed up to do the 10K in January, and I do NOT want to miss it.  Any suggestions for coming back after an injury would be great.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

• tclaremont Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 3, 2013
    10,963. Sep 6, 2013 9:55 AM (in response to AuntieNeen)
    200+ Pound Club!

Auntie Neen, I sure hope you mean 22 min / mile instead of 22 miles per minute, because I sure feel slow right now!

• AuntieNeen Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 4, 2012
    10,964. Sep 6, 2013 10:02 AM (in response to tclaremont)
    200+ Pound Club!

That's what I get for typing and trying to eat lunch and talk to students at the same time.  Yikes!  Yes, 22 minutes per mile.  Man I wish I could run a 3 minute mile- that would be awesome!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...