Skip navigation

2674711 Views 11,409 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2015 6:55 AM by bowman252 Go to original post 1 ... 730 731 732 733 734 ... 761 Previous Next
  • CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,965. Sep 9, 2013 10:26 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

This week looks like a "take it easy and rest your poor body before the big race" week so that is what I am doing.  I will let you know how the race goes. Wish me luck

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    10,966. Sep 9, 2013 11:18 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Good idea, nice easy runs the week before a race; no need to get injured before the big event.

I ran my second 5K last Friday (errr, second 5K in the last 34 years, like back when I was a punk college kid), and I was feeling good about my time until I saw the time of the guy who got second place overall.  Why was second so special?  Well, the college kid who won it was not at all surprising, but the guy who got second finished in 16:45.  So?  So, he was 48 years old!  I'm not worthy... 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Sep 6, 2013
    10,967. Sep 10, 2013 5:31 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I love it. You are worried about your time and I am worried about finishing without needing an ambulance. I am 57 and never really did any running until a few months ago. I am reading everything I can find about training and avoiding injury and eating "healthy"....So far so good...My faciitis and knee pain are old issues and the Pitt bull, bless his heart, he can't help having an idiot for an owner....my run today is over and I am off to work, 3 more days and we shall see how all the work pays off.

Aug 9, 2013
    10,968. Sep 10, 2013 6:26 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Funny thing about what folks worry about; for the first race or two folks typically fuss about finishing, and once beyond that, they fuss about their time.  Trust me, I've fussed about both over the years. 

Regarding your race, what kind of running are you planning on for this week?

Fat old man PRs:

• FrankHobart Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 17, 2013
    10,969. Sep 11, 2013 6:12 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Quick question:  I was training wearing Vibram Bikila LS shoes and two weeks before my race, I experienced a pain in the top of my left foot.  Fearing the worst, I traded running for sessions on the Schwinn AirDyne for ten days before limping through my last four training runs prior to my race.  Being a high school teacher and former coach, I stopped by the athletic wing and had the trainer take a look.  She ran the "tap test" but could not locate anything that presented itself as a stress fracture.  I sucked it up and posted my second best time ever.  Oh, and I did go back to a traditional shoe.

I know I should be visiting a physician, but what's he/she going to tell me anyway---take time off from running?  What I'm curious about is if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Thanks.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,490 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10,970. Sep 11, 2013 8:45 AM (in response to FrankHobart)
    200+ Pound Club!

FrankHobart:  I remember reading something in The Med Tent that sounds like your problem, within the last 6 months.  You would have to go back and look.

Len

• wej@crawler.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2008
    10,971. Sep 11, 2013 6:37 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I weigh over 200 at 5'6" with spinal arthritis and I have run several half marathons and 2 full. I lift 4x a week including squats. My goal is to break 5 hrs for a full marathon. The doctors tell me that I shouldnt run long because its bad for my back.

Sep 6, 2013
    10,972. Sep 12, 2013 6:32 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

For the week before a race the runs are mostly walking with short runs throughout. Like run 2 minutes walk 3 for 20 minutes reps or run 1 minute walk 4 for 20 minutes. Last week rthey were harder, run 30 minutes or 2 miles only walk if you must...this week also had 2 rest days...I am actually getting kind of restless and a little nervous... I am confident I can run the whole thing if nothing bizarre happens (bears, pit bulls, alliens) but my fingers are still crossed

• vbdcb Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    10,973. Sep 12, 2013 6:39 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi! I'm new here and just started training for... I don't know what. I did know that I had been sitting around too long. In the past I've trained for and done century and double century rides, but had always been opposed to running. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I just decided to get off my a$$ and do.... something. I joined a gym because... I don't know. First couple of times there I spent some time on the cycles and was.. uninspired. Then I hit a treadmill, just to change it up, and walked for 30 minutes. The next time, 60 minutes. Then I did intervals a couple of times - 3 min walk and a min run. Then tonight..... I was able to run for three or four minutes... and it felt good. I used to be the guy that said running was something you did from a burning building. Now, after today's workout, I feel just a little different. I walked/jogged a 5K on a treadmill in 55 min tonight. Oh, i'm at 248 shooting for 200. Hi!

Aug 9, 2013
    10,974. Sep 12, 2013 7:23 PM (in response to vbdcb)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey vbdcb, as someone who has done the trek from "north of 248" to "south of 200" over the last six months, I can say it is an interesting and rewarding journey.

A few points which will hopefully help you stay the course:

• Rome wasn't built in a day and neighter was that scary number on the scale; losing it won't happen overnight either.  I say that not to discourage you but to caution you that pushing too hard too fast is a pretty good way of getting yourself hurt and stopping your momentum.  Said another way, take it easy, find a proven program like the C25K and work the program.
    • As  you get stronger/lighter and build your endurance, you'll be tempted to run faster; another good way to get hurt.  Why?  Because muscles get stronger way faster than ligaments, tendons, and bones, and unless you take it easy, your muscles will hurt something else.
    • Building on the last point, when the "gee, I feel like I can run faster" day comes, and it will, run further (and possibly even slower) instead.
    • If you can find a good dirt path or trail to run on, that surface will also pay huge dividends in the form of keeping you unhurt as you make progress.
    • Get fitted for a good pair of shoes made for your feet and running style; not all people are built the same way, and running shoes aren't as well.  Long stort short, shoes can make or break you when it comes to running; just yesterday I bought a new pair and I probably had to try on at least two dozen models before I found one which felt proper and natural.

Good luck on your adventure and keep us posted on your progress. 

Fat old man PRs:

Sep 6, 2013
    10,975. Sep 13, 2013 5:42 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I can identify with vbdcb...when I first started trying to get back in some kinda of shape my very ambiguous goal was to feel better. Then when I was with My daughter at FSU i saw all the parents and students running a 5K together and said to my daughter "Next year we are going to do that together, i want to cross the finish line holdng hands" Since that time both my parents have become very ill and occupied most of my nonworking hours until a few months ago when I finally said it's time to get these old bones ready for this race. I downloaded a training program from the iron girl website (very much like the C25K program) and hit the trail. I was terrified to take that first running step, keopt extending the walking phase then finally I took one step then another and tomorrow is my first 5K...then october 5th i do the Run in Tallahassee that was my original goal. My daughter is training also so hopefully my dream of crossing the finish line hand in hand will be realized. Todays walk/run was a little sluggish but I have confidence tomorrow will be great.

Sep 6, 2013
    10,976. Sep 16, 2013 5:32 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well I did it, walked a few minutes during mile 2 while drinking H2O but ran almost all of it. It was 90 degrees with 90% humidity and started at 9...summary: it was hot. I felt great the next day and ran 1 1/2 mile this AM. # more weeks and I get to do it again.

Aug 9, 2013
    10,977. Sep 16, 2013 9:41 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wonderful progress; keep up the good work!  At this rate you should be good and ready to run a 5K Turkey Trot. 

Fat old man PRs:

Sep 6, 2013
    10,978. Sep 18, 2013 9:10 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Spent way too long in urgent care yesterday to find out I am stressed...imagine that....but ok to run

Aug 9, 2013
    10,979. Sep 18, 2013 9:54 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Stress?  Nah, not you. 

The weather is starting to get cool around here (we were down in the high thirties two nights ago), and that means "Hammer Time!"  This is my favorite time of year to run, the body is more than adjusted to cooling itself, and with the cooler air helping even more, this is the time of the year for extended training sessions, running longer races and even new PRs.

Speaking of PRs, this last Sunday I was hoping for a new 5K PR, errr, at least a new 5K PR since I hit 50 years old, and the stars looked like they were lining up perfectly for said PR attempt.

The setup:

• I entered a medium sized 5K back in July which was A) scheduled for 15-Sep, and B) had a professional outfit performing the race timing.
    • The course was fairly flat, a moderate incline from the .5 to 1.5 mile mark, and then a moderate decent for the last 1.1 miles.
    • The weather forecast was predicting mid 60s, sunny and low humidity.
    • My training had been going well and I was looking forward to a time certainly in the 22 minute range, if not a bit quicker.

It all comes unraveled:

• Last Tuesday I got a bulk E-Mail at work addressed to pretty much every employee known to put together more than a couple of steps at a pace faster than a walk; said E-Mail was confusing in its structure and message, but it sounded like the son of one employee had put together a relay team to run a 36 mile race, and at the last minute three of the six runners dropped out.  As I can still run six miles with relative ease, I responded saying something to the effect that if they didn't mind having a fat old man on their team who couldn't commit to anything faster than a 9 minute per mile pace, I'd be happy to join.
    • Wednesday the guy who sent out the E-Mail visited my desk and asked if I was still interested, and if so, I had to call his son immediately; he was still one runner short and getting desperate as the entry fee and other expensive logistics had already been paid, and graduate students can't afford to burn that kind of money.  I called his son and found out that what they were really looking for was a sixth to fill out their 205 mile ultra (as in longer than a marathon) "Reach The Beach - New Hampshire" relay. Given his desperation he practically begged me to not back out; I caved.
    • Friday morning the other five members of the team (the oldest of which was 31) showed up in a minivan, crammed to the gills with bodies, food, running shoes and other gear, and the Thule rack on the top had even more stuff.  I was shown the course map and given the schedule of the legs I was supposed to run, ummm, YIKES!  My position was slated to run 32.8 miles with an elevation gain of nearly 2,200 feet and a commensurate loss in elevation of 2,500 feet. Note, fat old men don't really like going up or down, especially when either is steep.
    • I got the ball rolling with a 7.97 mile run from the base of Cannon Mountain in a driving rain, got picked up and learned the rest of the routine. As one person said it, you "run, stretch, eat, drive, run, stretch, eat, sleep, run, stretch, eat, drive, repeat, and then party on the beach." Their calculations suggested we'd finish within an hour or two of 30 hours. Geez.
    • In the end we finished five minutes under twenty-nine hours, and I even managed to beat the nine minute per mile pace for the full 32.8 miles.

Sunday's "PR" race:

• I dragged myself out of bed at 6:00, drank a bunch of water and crashed for another two hours.
    • By 9:45 I had hobbled out to the starting area, and given how insanely sore my quads were, I lined up with the 10:00-12:00 "average pace" folks, roughly 20 meters behind the starting line.
    • The gun went off at 10:00 sharp, and per the official race results, it took me a whopping 35 seconds to traverse those 20 meters, and no, it wasn't because of all of the slow walkers in front of me, I was trying to run and yet I was the one who was obstructing the walkers and joggers.
    • While I don't think I was ever in last place in the race, I wasn't far from it at the quarter of a mile point.
    • About a half of a mile into it I was able to reach what might be called a "Slow Jog" (is that also called a "Slog"?).
    • The gun clock had already ticked over 12 minutes when I crossed the mile mark; the good news is that my slog was becoming a true jog.
    • By the two mile mark the gun clock was just ticking over 20 minutes and I was starting to loosen up a bit just as the course started its gradual decent to the finish.
    • As I was approaching the finish line I was stunned to see the gun clock ticking along in the 27:20 range; I'm still trying to wrap my brain around running a sub 7 minute pace for the last 1.1 miles, even if it was hill aided.
    • My corrected time (subtracting my 35 second start time) ended up as a 26:46 5K; nowhere near the 22 something I was hoping for, but given the RTB Relay I'd finished the day before, I was very happy with the time.

Funny thing, when I got home from the Sunday race (which was effectively my 7th race of the weekend), and after having run some 35.9 miles since Friday afternoon, my weight was 201 pounds.  I actually gained weight last weekend and rejoined this club!  Go figure. 

Fat old man PRs:

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...