Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2229267 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 737 738 739 740 741 ... 760 Previous Next
  • junebug580 Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 30, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,070. Oct 30, 2013 7:34 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi All, glad I found you! I am 45, about 240 lbs and just finished w1d1 of C25K. I don't know much about running except that I have always felt like I just wasn't cut out for it. Have never much liked it and always felt self couscious. Hoping with the C25K program and support from some of you, this time may be different.

Today was not bad at all. Let's hope I can keep it up this time.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be appeciated.

thanks! 

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,071. Oct 30, 2013 8:37 AM (in response to junebug580)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congratulations on W1D1! 

The most common bits of advice are as follows:

• Don't embellish the program; in other words, don't add other running activities if you suddenly feel inspired, that's a sure way to get injured.
    • If you don't feel ready to progress to the next week once any given week is done, don't be afraid to repeat a week or weeks as needed.
    • Stretch after your runs, not before.
    • If you can find a soft dirt trail or grass turf in a park or golf course to run on, so much the better; dirt and grass absorb way-way more shock than even the best running shoes.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Oct 30, 2013
    11,072. Oct 30, 2013 10:32 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks for the advice! I honestly can't see myself adding on more running. But, good to know about repeating a week.

I saw a story yesterday about a woman here in the Boston area who lost 120 lbs by running and eating well. Feeling inspired by her. She is a mom with young kids like me.

If anyone is looking for extra motivation the Fox 25 story is here http://thefitbee.com/my-story-on-fox-25/

Aug 9, 2013
    11,073. Oct 30, 2013 10:56 AM (in response to junebug580)
    200+ Pound Club!

I'm in the Boston area as well (southern New Hampshire) and worked in Boston until April of this year.  Where will you be doing most of your running?

Fat old man PRs:

• Meg94 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 29, 2013
    11,074. Oct 30, 2013 11:28 AM (in response to junebug580)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi... I am new here 41 & 226 pounds. participated in my first 5K this March. I'm still in the Walk/run phase of my journey. I've lost 100 by eating well (Weight Watchers) & moving more Still have about 50 to 75 to go. Never ever had the esire to run till al fellow WW friend started doing races. Hubby & I were really kicking it! Join a running social group in N. Dallas, then my planterfacia acted up... Could not walk, much less run. Took off 2 months to get it back under control. Now trying to get back in the habit.

Shoes.. Pro/Grid  Guide 5 by saconey. I have a long history of spraining my ankles...  these shoes have been great. Stability has been fantastic.

Beginning a Focused November... Track food, Hit my set activity goal daily, and "Sweat" 3 times a week.

Fall is super busy,season ticket to Aggie games, fundraising for A&M Club, and my commute trippeled. Focused on setting an acheivable November goal!  Good Luck to all!

Meg_an_aggie_in_Frisco

• Juicykah Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 4, 2012
    11,075. Oct 30, 2013 11:50 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi All-  I'm not much of a public sharer... This might be my 2nd post response ever in life. 

But I need to share after reading these amazing posts: the 1st timers, 101st timers, the stops and starts, set backs and victories.

I've been struggling for a decade with my weight.  I'm eager to share that I will be running my first half marathon on Sunday.

I am a 5'10 woman- I began this year at 252 lbs and am down to 208.  I began this year out of breath walking up a flight of stairs.

I completed couch-to-5k in March and ran my first 5k.  It took me almost 45 minutes. The 15 minute miles that were painful and felt like hell.

I am now running anywhere from 10.30 to 12 min miles.  There have been plenty of setbacks- pains, frustration, feeling like progress would never come, that I had to be under this 200 lb mark in order to be "worthy" of running this 1/2 marathon.  

I've had to throw almost every ugly belief I've created along the way to get to this point. 

As I type I am terrified of the what ifs.... what if I don't make it (though I've been training for months), what if I come in last, what if injure myself.... and on and on.

But I'm also keenly aware that this journey, this road has been the mental, physical, and emotional ride of my life in the very best way possible.  The epsom salt baths after a long run are heaven--- the extra calories I get to eat due to running 5-10 hours per week are a party and a half.  I have finally claimed moments that are for me-- that give me victories each day that I put on those shoes and get out that door.  I've not said this until today, but guess what.... I am a runner!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,076. Oct 30, 2013 11:53 AM (in response to Meg94)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Meg,

Congratulations on all of the progress you've made in your running journey; there's still more to come. 

Regarding your plantar fasciitis, one of the things I did both to rid myself of the pain and then as a prophylactic measure to keep it away was to buy a night splint and wear it religiously every night for six solid months.  Since then I haven't even had a glimmer of plantar facia pain.

Regards,

Dale

Fat old man PRs:

Aug 9, 2013
    11,077. Oct 30, 2013 12:03 PM (in response to Juicykah)
    200+ Pound Club!

Great story JuicyKah, I'm pulling for you; make sure you post next Sunday or Monday and let us know how you did. 

Regarding your "What ifs";

• You'll make it, even if a worst case scenario happens and you're forced to walk some of the course that still constitutes "making it"
    • If you happen to come in "last", that's still way-WAY ahead of the bulk of humanity, especially those glued to their sofas with a remote glued to their hands
    • Go out slow and run what I call a "Full Systems Check" every quarter to a half of a mile for the first couple of miles; once you're good and warmed up keep your pace on the low end of your comfort zone until at least the eight mile mark.  By then you'll have long known if something is going wrong with a joint, muscle, connective tissue, or other biomechanical system, and if all is still well, start dialing up the speed.
    • The whole "go out slow and dial up the speed" thing has an added side benefit; you get to pass all those who burned themselves out in the first few miles, trust me, as you're running the later stages of a long race, passing lots of folks adds lots of fuel to your internal fires.

Once again, keep us posted. 

Regards,

Dale

Fat old man PRs:

• Bocefas Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 13, 2012
    11,078. Oct 30, 2013 3:11 PM (in response to DRob103)
    200+ Pound Club!

I'm 6'1" and go about 210 right now (down from 290ish)...I ran my first, last, and only marathon in September.  I love the Asics Gel-Kayano 19's...supportive and cushioned.  They seem to last me about 350-400 miles so I would give them a thumbs-up for durability as well.  I think I might have the ones I ran the marathon in bronzed...hahaha

• Bocefas Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 13, 2012
    11,079. Oct 30, 2013 3:13 PM (in response to Juicykah)
    200+ Pound Club!

DON'T BE AFRAID OR ASHAMED TO WALK IF YOU NEED TO!!!!   Finishing is the goal!  Best of luck!!!

• CookBP Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 27, 2013
    11,080. Oct 31, 2013 6:53 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

It started with my doctor telling me I needed to be on cholesterol medicine. Told him give me three months and if no change I'll get on meds. 283 pounds and loved eating. Started with an app Learn to Run and decide I would train for a 5k. Talked my son into doing it with me so we signed up for a 5k. Started reading bought us both running shoes and stuck to the training. My son on the other hand struggled with pains in his right leg. Went back to doctor and cholesterol had dropped back to normal and I had lost 30 lbs. This encouraged me even more. Race day came my son and I ran the first mile in less than 8 minutes. We walked some and I recovered quickly. He on the other hand experienced leg cramps. Told him we started together and would finish together. We crossed the finished line together at 37:14. It was a great father and son moment. This was in January 2013.

From that I now had a new goal, break 30 min. My second 5k in April I finished with a 30:17, felt good about my improvement but wanted to break 30 even more. Living in Louisiana it gets very hot and humid which I learned very quickly slows you down.  In May my 3rd 5k and I felt pumped, that today was the day. I knew the pace I needed and intended to keep it.  At mile 2 people seemed to really start to slow down but I was still okay but breathing harder. Then at mile 2.5 I had nothing left but kept pushing on. I crossed the finish line at 30:07. Seven seconds, but I had nothing left to give. I did come in third overall in my weight class. I encourage everyone to enter a Fatboy 5k, they are fun

I decided I would keep running but not run another 5k until it cooled down. Did a couple of Color Runs but nothing serious.

Here it is October and I'm running a 10 k this weekend. Training for a half marathon in January. I love to run, shame I waited until I was 52.  I'll always be a 200+ member and that is okay. Down to 230 and oh yes in two weeks will run in a 5k, it will be my first sub 30.

Read so many of your stories which inspire me and wanted to share mine. Keep running and most of all enjoy the moment.

Oct 30, 2013
    11,081. Nov 1, 2013 2:55 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Dale, I live on the South Shore. So far, have been just running near the beach in my neighborhood....today I did W1D2. Was a little tough because I was running into very strong wind half of the time. Maybe when (if) I get up to doing an actual 5k, I will see you on the course.

BTW- thanks again for the advice on stretching. I had terrible leg cramps after my first day out because I barely stretched. Much better today

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,082. Nov 4, 2013 5:38 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Woke up Saturday and it was pouring down rain. not a nicve steady rain but a deluge.I got dressed and headed for the trail anyway and it cleared to a light drizzle so i headed out for my 5 mile trail run as planned. It went GREAT...a nice easy 5 mile run through the forest in the rain. Most of the footing was good. There was a

section about 100 yards yards long with a lot of roots and rocks so I slowed down and picked my way along without any problem. I took a wrong turn once but caught it quickly as the trail markers changed colors. All in all it was a great experience and when I arrived back at the trailhead I  felt very much like a real runner. Go Me. 

Aug 9, 2013
    11,083. Nov 4, 2013 6:46 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Oh my, looks like the world has a new TRAIL runner! 

CynceRN, congratulations on what might be a life changing run; out on a trail after a good rain, awesome. 

As strange as this may sound to you, pretty soon you're going to be looking forward to a good long trail run in the rain, and you won't mind in the least that when you're finished you're wearing an entire mud-puddle. 

Fat old man PRs:

• Juicykah Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 4, 2012
    11,084. Nov 4, 2013 5:27 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Update- I am officially a half marathon runner! 

Raleigh has been run.  I didn't have to walk and the Achilles held up.

I had an amazing group of friends come out to support in person and virtually.

The physical nature of the challenge was nothing compared to the mental/emotional component.

I broke out the Sharpie and wrote "TRUST" on one hand and "FINISH" on the other.

I feel strong, happy, accomplished, sore, tired, and so ready for the next challenge.

I'm already signed up for a 12k this weekend and have decided to do another half in March.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...