Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1889513 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 747 748 749 750 751 ... 756 Previous Next
  • CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,220. Jan 17, 2014 5:46 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Fluffy: I meant to respond to this sooner. Glad your Mom is coming home. My friend's friend is walking now with stand by assist and continuing to make slow but steady progress. You have your hands full and I will keep you and Mom in my prayers. Keep running. Cheapest therapy there is. I always feel elated and empowered at the end of a run. Even a jog to the mailbox (1 mile round trip) We are doing something most other peole won't even consider trying...we are runners...go us.

Knees better today than in awhile. Considering a walk tomorrow but nervous. Don't want set backs.

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    11,221. Jan 17, 2014 8:54 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thank you CynceRN!  My house is in disaray but filled with love. So many people have come to help build many things to make my mom comfortable.  I  plan to keep running.  I have come to terms with the fact that I will not be able to run a half or full marathon until my mom is a bit better but I can still run around my neighborhood and on the trails.  The fact that my mom can't move her legs really makes me feel blessed that I can and that I can...slow but I can run.  With that note......this weeks motivation poster:

78328_262407134_l.jpg

Our running coach says you can do anything for a minute.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,222. Jan 17, 2014 10:53 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hey Fluffy, great news about your mom's progress as well as your commitment to stick with running (albeit at a somewhat reduced level) while she's recovering.  As for your home being in disarray, hey, don't sweat the little stuff; mine is being slowly de-disarrayed (not really a word but it gets the idea across) as my soon to be 20 year old son, the disarray master, left for basic training in the Navy on Tuesday. 

Edit: I just looked it up, "de-disarrayed" is in fact a word; go figure. 

Sep 6, 2013
    11,223. Jan 20, 2014 6:21 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Knee crapped out on me this weekend. Spent all of Sunday with my icepack and Advil..pooh.

Go Fluffy and go Mom-of-Fluffy...Isn't it amazing how people pull together when someone needs help.

"You are at your best when things are at their worst" (Quote from Starman, observation of the human race)

Aug 9, 2013
    11,224. Jan 20, 2014 10:06 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

CynceRN wrote:

Knee crapped out on me this weekend. Spent all of Sunday with my icepack and Advil..pooh.

Yeah, I think "crap" is the operative word.  Have you had a doctor look at it yet?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11,225. Jan 20, 2014 5:42 PM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

CynceRN wrote:

Go Fluffy and go Mom-of-Fluffy...Isn't it amazing how people pull together when someone needs help.

"You are at your best when things are at their worst" (Quote from Starman, observation of the human race)

Earlier you wrote: "R knee, my "good " knee is just giving me fits. Hurts all over. Down my shin and calf and up my thigh and tightens up when I sit too long, like more than a few minutes. I hate to see an MD but am tempted. The pain isn;t severe just nagging soreness."  Have you considered that the problem may be elsewhere, such as in your hip, and that is putting extra stress on your knee?  Something like piriformis syndrome can cause achiness all up and down the leg.

Len

Sep 6, 2013
    11,226. Jan 21, 2014 5:33 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    200+ Pound Club!

Actually could be anything and I am open to any ideas but the pain started around my knee then spread to calf then thigh which is intermittant. The problem with seeing an MD is I kow they will want diagnostics, probably an Xray and an MRI. My copay for an MRI is $500 which is  lot for me and then there is whatever the treatment is and, God Forbid, time off work for recovery. I will probabaly have to go the medical route soon. Maybe after taxes are paid.

• OnePamela Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    11,227. Jan 22, 2014 12:52 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Howdy All!

I am a recent member of e 200+ running club. I have enjoyed reading the posts and realizing there are so many others out there just like me! I am running my first 5k (well, the first one in about 25 yeas) on Feb 2 in SF. I am plenty o' nervous, but determined to finish the race in something less than an embarassing time. Thanks for all encouragement in your posts. Wish me luck! I am off to the gym to get in today's workout.

Pamela

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2.2.2014 - Kaiser Permanente 5k

3.15.2014 - The Color Run 5k

7.27.2014 - Wharf to Wharf Race 10k - Santa Cruz, CA

Aug 9, 2013
    11,228. Jan 22, 2014 1:18 PM (in response to OnePamela)

Welcome to the club!

Remember, we're not as young as we used to be so "embarrassing" is a very relative term.  IMHO, finishing, even if dead last, is far less embarrassing than not running in the first place. 

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

• wngdwolf Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 3, 2009
    11,229. Jan 22, 2014 2:25 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey there! You all are so inspiring! While not a 200+, I am a 100+. I'm 65 pouinds down from my top weight of 225, and have 40 more to go, so I just wanted to pop in and cheer you on! An important part of my progress has been walking 5 - 8 miles a day on average. Yesterday I only did 2, but Monday I did 11.3. Next month I'm going to bump it up a notch and start doing intervals of 3|4.

In terms ofmy food, I'm not kidding - I have failed every diet out there, and always ended up heavier than when I'd started. But I finally found something that works for me! WOW - I am so profoundly grateful. It's a real miracle. Today, I'm wearing a top I haven't worn in a loooong time!! So glad I didn't get rid of it a few years ago. It's adorable. It's Overeaters Anonymous

Cheers!
    - Caitlyn J

Burbank, Ca

Sep 6, 2013
    11,230. Jan 23, 2014 8:51 AM (in response to wngdwolf)
    200+ Pound Club!

Caitlyn: Love the shirt and proud of your success. As far as a diet, eat healthy and run more

Pamela: Love Shipo's advice, as long as I beat the cop car at the back I am happy

• BigBonedLawyer Legend 305 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    11,231. Jan 27, 2014 8:15 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

After several months of sleeping in, I'm starting up again with a couple weeks of walking before I restart C25k.  I have recently discovered I supinate like crazy, which everyone says means use a neutral shoe, which I've done for years.  I've noticed they don't seem to hold up very well under the strain of a 200+ pound runner.  I did try barefoot (Merrells) a couple years back and even after 2 months of ramping it up, I couldn't do a mile without pain so I went back to my Pegasus shoes.  Those just aren't cutting it at my current size though.

Any supinators out there have shoe recommendations?

Nike+ - BBL17

Tracking my progress - http://bigbonedlawyer.blogspot.com/

2010 Cobb Make A Wish http://cobbcounty.org/makeawish5k/ - 30:03 111/252 no walking

2010 Run for Justice http://www.rungeorgia.com/runforjustice.html - 28:10 no walking 105/343

2010 Sleighbells on the Square http://www.cobbcountybar.org/pdfs/Sleighbells%202010%20flyer.pdf  - 27:26 no walking 120/5xx

2011 Big Peach 5k http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/ 33:00 after 4 months no running.  Walked about .5 miles total.

2011 Peachtree Roadrace  - http://www.peachtreeroadrace.org/ 1:11:00 on 3 weeks of training.  Finished in the top half overall.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,232. Jan 28, 2014 8:53 AM (in response to BigBonedLawyer)
    200+ Pound Club!

I've only recently gotten down below the 200+ pound mark full time, and I also need neutral shoes.  My last two pairs are Asics Gel Scouts; they seem to be good to go for at least 700 miles before I need a new pair.

Sep 6, 2013
    11,233. Jan 29, 2014 5:45 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

LOL....remember when shoes were just shoes. I guess we are luckier now.

Shipo: are the Gel scouts trail shoes or road shoes? I know you do mostly trails so am just curious.

I am still laid up...I see a YMCA membership in my near future...gotta find a pool

Aug 9, 2013
    11,234. Jan 29, 2014 6:01 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Gel Scouts are marketed as a trail shoe, however, I've found they're nice and comfy on roads as well.

Will the pool be used for swimming or water jogging? 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...