Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2121789 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 752 753 754 755 756 ... 760 Previous Next
  • bbee42 Pro 78 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,295. Mar 6, 2014 9:22 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

OK, I'm not overly depressed about this, but I am a little frustrated. 

I've been training for a half marathon since Mid-December, and that is going well.  We just did a 10 miler last Saturday, and this coming Saturday I'm running in my first (official) 10K ever.

The problem is... while my runs have been going OK, I've actually gained weight during the whole process.

I normally am on a low carb diet, but that doesn't necessarily work that well with longer distance running, so I've been trying to balance that out.  That doesn't seem to be working well for me lol.

Since I'm running my first half marathon in less than a month, I'm about to go on a mostly liquid diet to see if I can drop a fair amount before race day.

2011 - C25K Graduate!!! (9/17/2011)

2011 - BridgeTo10K - W3 Slacker!

2012 - Started over but didn't finish the C25K program (MAJOR SLACKER!)

2013 - C25K Graduate Again!!! (NEVER GIVE UP!)

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2013 - December 4th - Began 1/2 Marathon Training

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Future Races (Registered):

2014/4/5 - Bentonville Half Marathon!!!!

==========================================================

My running logs: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/506692

My Blog: http://goneafk.tumblr.com

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

Aug 8, 2011
    11,296. Mar 6, 2014 9:41 AM (in response to KSassie)
    200+ Pound Club!

KSassie:

As others have posted, don't worry if you need to walk some during your first race.  In all probability, there will be some people who walk the entire thing.  There are almost always some who only walk.  So, even if you only run a little and mostly walk, you probably won't come in last.  And even if you do, it really isn't a race against anyone else.

So, absolutely go ahead and do the race.  If you can finish the program before the race, that's great.  But, the C25K program is just about 3 months long, if you don't skip any weeks.  So, that doesn't leave you much wiggle room to redo weeks.  By scheduling a race right at the end of 3 months, you may be putting added pressure on yourself to finish.  That's not unusual!  Many, if not most, of us who have completed the program also scheduled races right at the end of the training.  However, "most" people also do not complete the training without redoing a week here and there.  So, my advice is, don't give in to the pressure that you have to finish the schedule in exactly 9 weeks.  You could hurt yourself and set yourself back more than you would by progressing at your own pace.

Keep to the schedule, as much as your body allows you to.  Re-do weeks when you need to.  Run your race anyway, even if you don't complete the program beforehand.  Walk during the race when you have to.  And, be proud of whatever result you come up with, because you *should be* .  Always remember, most people are sitting on their couch or sleeping in their bed during the race. 

Your first race will be special, but running is a journey and your first race is just a milestone on the journey.  It isn't the destination.

KSassie wrote:

I'm new here. Thanks for sharing your story!

I haven't ran since I was about 12, I'm now 25 and weigh 250lbs at 5' 4". I had a baby via c-sec 15 months ago, not the bikini cut either like some lucky moms get.   I bought running shoes and bra. I live in Michigan and it's way too cold to be running outside right now. I have a treadmill but I live on the second floor of my apartment and afraid of feeling like I'm gonna fall through the floor, so I'm just walking for now.

I signed up for a 5k on May 31st. That gives me 3 months to train... I have the C25K app on my phone, which I like, but physically I'm unable to do the 1m in walk to 1.5 min run yet. I'm at 5min walk to 1 min run... Do you think 3 months is going to be enough time?

Any advice, tips or helpful links?

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

• Lisa R Johnson Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    11,297. Mar 6, 2014 7:59 PM (in response to leobourgeois)
    200+ Pound Club!

Leo~

With arthritis in your knees, how do you run? Every time I try (and believe me, i go VERY slowly) I can hardly walk the next day. What's your secret?

Aug 8, 2011
    11,300. Mar 7, 2014 10:59 AM (in response to KSassie)
    200+ Pound Club!

KSassie wrote:

Wideguy,

Thanks for encouragement! I didn't  fall through, nor did the downstairs neighbors complain!  Yay! Lol I did day 1 today of C25K today. I got through 25/30mins. I drank too much water and got sick, so I had to stop. My mouth gets so dry though. Although I didn't make it all the way through,  I don't see it as failure. I see it as a success, because I got off the couch and worked towards my goal! I'm one day closer! :)

KSassie:  I didn't see this when I posted yesterday.  I do have a suggestion for the dry mouth issue.  Get a piece of hard candy (I use sugar free werther's originals) and push it to the side of your mouth so that it is tucked away.  Just having it there will cause you to salivate some, but when you need it, just pull it out and suck on it a little.  It will keep your mouth from drying out.

Some people also use gum for this, but I can't chew gum for long periods of time, and it doesn't seem like such a good idea to do that while running anyway.

When you get to longer runs, you can use gels the same way.  You don't really need gels for a 5k run though, and they are more expensive.

• tennislady2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 8, 2014
    11,301. Mar 8, 2014 4:17 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Oh I am so glad I found this! I'm 5'10 and about 210lbs. I started the C25K program a couple months ago and I'm now in the middle of week 6 - so I have done two 25 minute runs. I've had SO MUCH self doubt along the way. Every week when there was an increase in running I would tell my husband and friends that I didn't think I could do it. But every week I did it! (granted - I run soooooooooo slow. Which I know is ok).

Here is my issue/question. I feel like my heart rate is too high. I thought it would have improved by now but it doesn't seem to be. It gets up to about 174 - which is slightly above my "max heart rate". My friend (who runs) said that hers was like that until she lost 15lbs. My annual physical at the doctor is good - my blood pressure is perfect - I don't smoke. I just don't understand! Should I be worried? Does anyone else have such a high heart rate?

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,302. Mar 8, 2014 8:30 PM (in response to tennislady2)
    200+ Pound Club!

Simple advice, IGNORE your heart rate, the "max heart rate" calculations are a bunch of junk and completely and utterly irrelevant.

Just for curiosity's sake, I checked my heart rate at the end of my first 1-Mile race in nearly 40 years (38 years 7 months to be exact) on January 1st this year, and it was right bang about 190, but per the "max heart rate" calculations the maximum rate for a 56 year old "should be" 164.

Soapbox...

The sooner the running community can quash the stupid 220-age formula the better for everybody who believes in heart rate training (I do not and probably never will).

End Soapbox!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,303. Mar 8, 2014 8:57 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Having broken both ankles (one in 1974 and the other in 2003), I've learned a thing or three about how my body reacts to exercise vis-à-vis arthritis (not saying my experience will be the same for anybody else).

When I finally got my body running again back in 2009 I found that the day after a run my ankles were so sore I could barely walk, and two days after they were sometimes okay and other times they were even sorer than the day before.  Given that I was attempting a strict every-other-day workout program, I would force myself to run even when I could barely walk, and funny thing, after the first (rather painful) half of a mile, the pain usually started easing up, and by a mile it was virtually gone.  Last April when I once again restarted running (professional and family issues kept me away from running between early 2010 and last April), I was initially doing only one or two days per week, and my ankle pain was pretty much constant except during my runs and for an hour or two after, and that held true even if I went four or five days between runs.  Figuring I had nothing to lose, I started upping my workout frequency to every third day, then every other day, then pretty much every day by late June.  Yes, my ankles ALWAYS hurt at the start of every run (now they only hurt on occasion), and yes I looked (and often still look) seriously uncoordinated/silly for the first half mile to mile, but after that they loosen up and away I go.  It's kind of cool that now that I'm running somewhere between 60 and 80 miles per week my ankles are actually slightly less painful than they were in my more sedentary days before 2009.

Kind of as a side note on the arthritis thing; after my 2003 broken (right) leg (and partially torn off foot), I developed arthritis in my right hand as well.  The arthritis in my hand continued to get worse and worse, and by last year I was getting worried that it was going to impact me professionally as I make my living via computer.  As I ramped my weekly and monthly mileage up to unprecedented (for me) levels, my hand arthritis seemed to reverse itself; I first started noticing better and less painful hand movement last September (my third consecutive 200+ mile running month).  Initially I thought it was my imagination and/or wishful thinking, but now, nearly a year and over 2,100 miles in the log since April, my hand is so pain free I cannot feel any arthritis pain no matter how I move it.

Has my running "cured" the arthritis in my hand?  I doubt it.  If I quit running (for whatever reason) again, will the arthritis in my hand return?  I'm thinking the likelihood is pretty high.

• justamaniac Pro 180 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    11,304. Mar 9, 2014 11:01 AM (in response to tennislady2)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well... I wouldn't totally ignore your heart rate... I agree with shipo that the "MaxHR" calculations are bogus, but I do believe that it is worth paying attention to the status of heart.

If it is beating pretty hard after a run and does not recover to a rest state reasonably quickly after running, you probably want to look into this.

I also have felt that my heart rate while running is possibly higher than it should be, but after a lot of analysis, running with a HR monitor and collecting data, conversations with my Dr, and running some more, I've reached the conclusion that my most comfortale running rate is between 130 and 140bps. On a finishing sprint, I may pop up into the 150's. Doing hills, I'll be in the 160's.  My recovery from hard sprints (~150bps) is about 2 minutes to 100bps which my Dr. thought was pretty good.

Bottom line: everyones HR is different under various conditions; you have to figure out what your "normal" is.

For what it's worth, I no longer use a HR monitor - as it turns out, we are pretty good at being able to figure out if we are overexerting ourselves or not without all of the electronics...  Of course, I got to that conclusion after spending a lot of time collecting data about myself... ;-) 

Have fun and just run....!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11,305. Mar 9, 2014 12:55 PM (in response to tennislady2)
    200+ Pound Club!

Tennislady2 - Lots of people use a heart rate monitor regularly and successfully.  I don't, though I have tried it sometimes.  The real issue here is that you have to know, or have a good approximation of, your true maximum heart rate (MHR) to use it accurately.  The formulas work maybe 50% of the time.  For instance, I'm 66 and I know my MHR is about 192 - 198.  This article gives you several ways to get a good idea of your MHR. http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm  You may want to try a couple of them.  I get mine up by doing hill repeats.

Len

• jgilrdz27 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009
    11,306. Mar 10, 2014 7:33 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)

Hello everyone.....

Update..... I ran my 2nd 1/2 half marathon this past weekend ( 3-8-14 ) with a time of 2 hours and 32 minutes...  it's about 3-4 minutes slower than my first one back on 2-9-14.  This 1/2 was a little more painful as I decided to do one of  the worst thing a runner can do..... i ran the race with new shoes ( bought them the night before ) .... The weather was cool except for a few showers in the morning as we started the race.  Over all I feel great and very accomplished!!! Looking forward to my next race which is a 5K on 3-15-14....   Keep up the great job everyone!!!! KEEP ON RUNNING KEEP ON LIVING......

J. Gilberto Rodriguez

San Juan, Texas

SJ TX.png

Aug 9, 2013
    11,307. Mar 10, 2014 7:54 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)

Congratulations on your half!

Did you get any blisters from your new shoes or were there any other side effects from racing in them?

• jgilrdz27 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009
    11,308. Mar 10, 2014 8:15 AM (in response to shipo)

Thank you Shipo.....

my feet hurt a little but as far as blister go... i only got 1small blister on each pinky-toe.  i was very lucky! 

Aug 9, 2013
    11,309. Mar 10, 2014 8:56 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)

I know the whole new shoe before a race thing is a pretty standard "don't do it" within the running community, but speaking strictly for myself, I've never followed that advice.  That said, on the rare occasion when I actually buy new shoes in a shop (as opposed to online), I typically spend an inordinate amout of time trying shoes on so I can pay strict attention to pressure points.

Case in point, last September I got recruited as a last minute replacement for a six person relay team running a 205+ mile relay, and the only viable pair of shoes I had left was an old beat up pair of trail shoes.  The night before the event I spent well over an hour trying on different shoes, bought on pair, and headed for the starting line; I wore the new pair for three of my six legs and got no blisters.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...