Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2142991 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 756 757 758 759 760 Previous Next
  • whatthewhat Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2014
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,355. May 30, 2014 6:01 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello all. I started the w1d1 yesterday and thought I would post here since this forum kinda inspired it. I see there are a few 200+ who post here and reading your posts have given me a little push to run myself. I actually would belong in the 300+ thread but it seems no one has posted there for years. I have never ran for anything other than play and have smoked for a few years off and on, off now and looking good so far. Haven't bought any and only smoked four in the last month or so. Like I said I started running/walking the w1d1 workout yesterday and with that I liked to have keeled over. I run/walk on a Nature Trail, it is gravel and a lot of up hill and down hill. I like the gravel because it is more forgiving on the knees and feet (and back) than asphalt or concrete. I think I will keep up the w1d1 workout untill the end of next week and move on from there.

Anyway congrats to all of you I have been reading about in this thread and others and hopefully I can keep this workout up. Felt great this morning (after some Tylenol of course).

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,356. Jun 4, 2014 6:35 AM (in response to whatthewhat)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hey What,

Congratulations on starting the C25K program and trying to lose the smokes. 

A few bits of advice:

• When the program says "Run", keep it slow, like barely faster than a fast walk.
    • If you can, keep your running on the trail, the difference in wear and tear on your body is remarkable (I can quite literally link every running injury I've had since I turned 40 to running on pavement, and when I switch to dirt, I suddenly get better).
    • As you've already figured out, repeat days (or weeks) as needed.

Keep us posted on your progress.

• Metalman_ct Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 30, 2014
    11,357. Jun 1, 2014 4:56 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

So, forgive the newbie but what is the c25k program everyone is talking about? I have been running off& on for the past 5-6 years, have done multiple 5k's & a few 10k's. Im around 250#, i could actually lose weight if I took better care to what I eat. Once I was down to 214, kept it off w/o running by my diet alone. I run up to 5x a week, depending on my schedule. I have to adjust my days off around it. I'm sure many others here have to as well. I have always ran about a 9 min mile, that hasn't changed no matter how far I run. This message board has kept my inspiration going, seeing so many people in my category of runners. So often during races I do t see too many 200+ Pound runners. Although it does make me feel good to see I beat half the people who weigh less than me!! So thank you all very much!!!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,358. Jun 1, 2014 7:00 AM (in response to Metalman_ct)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Metalman,

The C25K program stands for "Couch to 5K", and is a training program geared for beginning runners to gradually and safely condition their bodies to run a 5K race.  Based upon your comments it sounds like you're currently able to run a 5K in the 27:00 to 28:00 range which would mean such a program would most likely not be beneficial for you.  Like you, I'm a heavy runner, and reasonably fast for my size, and have never used a C25K program, that said, I've looked a few of them up on the internet and they all encompass a combination of walking and running with an early bias on walking and a finishing bias on running.

Best regards,

Dale

Apr 30, 2014
    11,359. Jun 1, 2014 7:33 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thank you very much for the info!! I signed up for a 10k on Saturday, so I just did one today & discovered that I was already running around 4.5-5 miles already, so I feel pretty good about that. Does anyone here have continuing problems with chaffing? I bought some very expensive running shorts, & they have helped some, & baby powder helps. Sorry if this is a taboo subject but I need some help!! A&D just wears off after 2-3miles, so does baby powder. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11,360. Jun 1, 2014 8:16 AM (in response to Metalman_ct)
    200+ Pound Club!

Vaseline works, though it tends to stain some fabrics. Also you can find commercial products like BodyGlide. All of them wear off after a while, but more like 15 miles or so. For certain areas (nipples, for instance) you can get bandages that cover them ("nipguards"), even bandaids. Again, they may not last for marathon distances but usually are good for half-marathon or less.

Len

Aug 9, 2013
    11,361. Jun 1, 2014 9:05 AM (in response to Metalman_ct)
    200+ Pound Club!

Regarding the chafing, if you find a running related web forum where chafing is a taboo subject, find a different forum as it is a very worthy discussion for many of us.

For the inner thighs I've found a generous dolup of Vaseline to be the best, even for 15+ mile runs.  As for the nipples, I got tired of my shirts being stained from the Vaseline, so I've graduated to using Band-Aid "Clear Spots", and assuming you get them in well, they'll stay on for even the longest of runs (sure beats two vertical blood stripes running down the front of an otherwise white tee-shirt). 

Apr 30, 2014
    11,362. Jun 1, 2014 4:46 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Vaseline is a great idea!! I have had bloody nipples in the past, they came from one of those polyester , moisture wicking 'running ' shirts I got from a 5k.  Running shirt-ha!!! Never wore one again. Now I just wear cotton & use chaffing cream (which didn't work down below) for my nipples, & that works fine.  Thanks for the advice! For any new runners out there all I can say in in the end you have to find what works for you. When I 1st started running I had the time go for 1.5-2 hours of just running and walking about50/50 for a while. Then I just started incorporating more running and less walking, reducing the time as well.  Everyone who said don't push too hard in the beginning is absolutely right, just STAY WITH IT.  If you miss a day, don't use that as an excuse to give up. Just accept it and move on. You'll get towhatever goal you have in mind. When I train for a race and I am working my way up to a distance, every time I run I just plan to go a little further each time. Even if it is 50 feet. Hope my advice helps someone, keep everyone here updated on your progress!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11,363. Jun 1, 2014 6:58 PM (in response to Metalman_ct)
    200+ Pound Club!

The problem with cotton is when it gets wet (i.e. real sweaty), it gets heavy, chafes a lot more and bunches up.  Back when races only gave out cotton shirts, I would wear them regularly for running.  But they do have their problems.  The "technical" shirts from races have one big problem.  The overlays they put on them chafe like crazy.  The tech shirts I have, and I have a lot of them, are all over the map.  Some have a fairly coarse weave and chafe.  Some have a very smooth feel and don't chafe.  And then there are the large overlays on the front of some that cause problems.  I still prefer them over cotton.

Len

Aug 9, 2013
    11,364. Jun 1, 2014 7:20 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

If I'm wearing the Clear Spot Band-Aids, then I like the tech shirts, overlays or not.  If I've run out of Band-Aids, then I too prefer a good old fashioned cotton tee-shirt; personal preference I guess.  Then again, not all cotton shirts are made equal, some are a coarse weave, and some, like the ones from Life is Good (my wife works there and I have lots of their shirts) are pretty darned soft and don't chafe at all (of course they still get wet and heavy).

• whatthewhat Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2014
    11,365. Jun 4, 2014 5:49 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

shipo,

Thanks for the advice. I had read on here somewhere about keeping your running to a nice pace a little faster than a brisk walk and the trail is my favorite place to run/walk, it is cooler during the summer and easier on the knees. So far so good with my second week one. Last week I had to walk a couple of the running cycles to catch my breath but this week I seem to be able to run all of the running cycles. I expect that next week I should be comfortable moving on to the w2 workouts. We will see Monday I suppose.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,366. Jun 4, 2014 6:36 AM (in response to whatthewhat)

Great progress; keep us posted. 

• RunforTherapy Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 28, 2013
    11,367. Jun 4, 2014 8:24 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi, I'm a fairly new runner...WOW...that's the first time I called myself a runner!

I began running on the treadmill about 9 months ago when I got a free gym membership through the SilverSneakers program. I weighed 200 lbs. and since then, have dropped 20 lbs. My nieces encouraged me to train for a 5K and run it with them, although I knew they were seasoned runners. However, even that they asked me to consider doing it gave me confidence. I used the Couch-5k app on my phone. I ran my first 5K on St. Patty's day in Baltimore for the Kelly Shamrock run. I did it in a little under an hour. I felt like Rocky when I got to the finish line. I even had someone yell to me, "You go grandma"...I should have told her that it should be "You go great-grandma!"

Since then, I've run 2 more---one a local run and the other was a Color Run this past weekend. Again, I did both in a little under an hour. I don't run for time or anybody else. I run for myself...it has become my therapy. SilverSneakers interviewed me for their program's news letter. Below is a link to the article:

http://www.healthwaysfit.com/article/silversneakers-member-success-story-ginny-yingst

I don't see me giving up running...running a 5K was on my bucket list and now I can cross that off.

Ginny

"I believe God made me for a purpose, And when I run I feel His pleasure." Eric Lidell

• ToniTidwell Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 8, 2014
    11,368. Jun 12, 2014 2:50 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

For 20 years I suffered with bad knees...too young for a knee replacement I was told.  My weight kept going up as I could not walk nor stand more than 5 minutes at a time.  Finally 2 years ago I convinced the Doctor I really needed a new knee and he had to convince Workmans Comp.  What a wonderful thing a new knee is.  So much so, I had the other replaced a year ago next month.  I was finally released to do stuff this past March.  Running is out....but walking is not.  I walked my first 5K in April at the Atlanta Color Run.  What a wonderful idea!!!  I hardly made it, took me two hours, but I did make it....had to take a 4 hour nap later.....but I was hooked.  I got a fitbit and then started tracking everything I was doing.  That little gadget is addictive!!  In May I travelled to my second 5k, another Color Run this time in Savannah Ga.  Flat, shaded, wonderful.  I was so hyped after the walk...only an hour and 20 minutes this time.  I stayed at a Bed and Breakfast close by as I was afraid I would not be able to stagger any further....Far from it!!!   We walked to dinner....a mile round trip, went to River Street and walked the entire street.  Never did take a nap!!  That got me to really working hard.  I found Map My Walk and started dedicating to walking at least a mile everyday and charting it with that app and posting on Facebook.  A mile is fine, but then with Fitbit and MMW, I got to pushing.  Two weeks after Savannah, I went on my 3rd 5k walk.  This time in Atlanta and it had hills.  UGgggh.   It was another color type walk but not as well organized. I made it in a little over an hour...thanks to wonderful friends and a fun grandson.  The day before, my hubby got me a Polar Loop....ok, I am a geek when it comes to tech objects.  I use all three gadgets and am always comparing them to make sure they are accurate. MMW has some issues but I am dealing with them.  Meanwhile I have upped my daily walk...oh have I said I am 63, retired and usually slept to 11 or 12 in the morning?  Now I am waking up before my alarm goes off at 7.  I now have a goal of 2 miles a day (at one time) does not mean that is all I do.  Tuesday, the granddaughter was off and well, 4.2 miles later, I was back home from my walk.  Yesterday it was 3.2....today only 2.75, but that is fine, I later went to Walmart today and did another 1.75 miles.  I came home with stretchy bands to do some resistance work with my arms.  Gosh this stuff is addictive.   And by the way, I can now tread water 15 minutes at a time and have gotten back to horseback riding.  I do love these new knees.  I miss being able to run, but at least I am moving.

For those people who passed me during the last 5k.....and made comments about fat people shouldn't be there....tough.....I have to walk somewhere.

• sdtante Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2014
    11,369. Jun 15, 2014 10:00 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

14 Jun 14 -- So just discovered this C25K program -- after a classmate posted wanted to get us all together for a Mud Run in October -- I didn't even know how far 5K was until I googled it... and was happy to discover it was just a little over 3 miles.... I started walking a few months ago while recovering from shoulder surgery and could walk 3 miles in 1 hr.... but now I'm back to work pm shift and haven't dragged my butt out of bed to get walking b/c I'm so tired.... I would love to do the mud run but they are all experienced runners / tri-athletes so a little intimidated... but after reading some of the blogs here ... think I will reach out to some of us 200+ and over 50 group and create my own support team... maybe even be the leader of the bunch .... my birthday is on the 23rd ... so my gift to myself is to get up and walking -- I deserve to be healthy again .... thank you all for the encouragement to kick myself in the butt and get going ... I commit myself to start this program !

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...