Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2082507 Views 11,392 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2014 12:34 AM by Ferrylights RSS Go to original post 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,055. Aug 14, 2010 6:18 PM (in response to ASL0602)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Wow; way to go ASL!!!

• rbonis Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 14, 2010
    2,056. Aug 14, 2010 6:38 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Not sure how to post so I am just doing a reply instead. I found C25K two years ago. I weigh 289 and did it for about two weeks. Kept getting painful shin splints and figured I needed to "lose weight" to lose weight! I just found this site and thread and it gives me hope but I am not sure how to avoid the same problems. I want to try this and make it work but the shin splints were so bad I could barely move. Any input/advice is totally welcome. I have to get in shape.

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    2,058. Aug 14, 2010 6:45 PM (in response to rbonis)

I am not an expert but get fitted for shoes. The people are very nice and shoes make alot of difference from personal experience and hearing about it on these boards. Also warm up and stretch and cool down after running. Besides that I really don't know. Good luck!

• aubosox Amateur 27 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    2,059. Aug 14, 2010 9:12 PM (in response to rbonis)

RBonis -

I had the same issue........so here goes.

1. Crosstrain to get the weight off while limiting your miles of running.....you will be able add miles as the weight comes off and the wear and tear is lessened.

2. Go to a High end running store and have your gait and arches analyzed. They will be able to tell you if you are in the right kind of shoes or not......high end running shoes - correct high end running shoes are worth their weight in gold.....I can not emphasize the importance of good running shoes.....and no....just becasue you paid 85$ at Dicks or Academy Sprts does not make them good...I am living proof....I avoided a 55K surgery and 18 months recovery just by buying a pair of Neutral + cushioned New Balance 1064s and Gel Nimbus 12s.......the gait analysis will help to make sure that your running style is not assisting in creating shin pain....

3. Shin muscle strenghening.....google "shin exercises"....there are many sites that have exercises that help build that muscle up.....and prevent shin issues in the future.....

I am pretty sure that if you do all 3 of these.....you are going to be in the money! Good Luck

btw....my 5K last night.....i was sweating to death before the gun went off.....thats the moment you realize that even though you have lost a ton of weight...it still ain't enough dammit!

• EasternStarGeek Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 14, 2010
    2,060. Aug 14, 2010 10:10 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi, Everyone!

I'm a 49 year old guy, 6' and 255lbs.  Never ever been an athlete, work a sedentary job, and although I don't have any major health issues (yet) I feel my age and lack of fitness catching up with me.  I am disgusted by my body, and it is getting me down.  Everything hurts more, too.

In the past, I have tried exercising in fits and starts, and although I eat more healthily than most, I still eat too much for my level of activity, and it seems to be out of my control.  I have never been able to stick with anything long enough for it to have the desired effect- something always derails me, either an injury or work and travel demands, etc.  I watch the scale creeping up inexorably, and I feel like a failure.  I also feel like time is running out.  I want to be fit by 50, but everything I read seems to suggest that attaining even a modicum of fitness improvement will take years.   I can't wait that long!  On the other hand, if I do this stupidly, I will keep hurting myself.

I guess what this all means is that I am scared.  I am scared of making the effort and failing, yet again.  I am scared of the prospect of becoming even less fit than I am.  This is all so terribly overwhelming, and I hardly know where to start.

I tried wind-sprinting (a la Covert Baily) and probably due to bad shoes, I am nursing some very sore feet, and so I have given up.  Again.

Can someone please help me with a little encouragement?  I'll come back if this works.

Sorry for sounding so pathetic,  but I am in a bad place, and I need some support.  Thanks!

• petesgirl66 Expert 44 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    2,061. Aug 14, 2010 10:19 PM (in response to Wideguy)

I just finished week 5 day 3! It was even hot outside, it had been cool here in the Seattle area until a couple of days ago, today it was in the 90's! I was going to put off my run, but then thought I would just try and do what I could. Turns out I could do it!!! Still extremly slow,  did 1.36 miles in 22 minutes, about a 16 minute mile.

Sounds like all of you are doing great, running races and continually improving. Good job to the 200+ club and thanks for all the motivation and support!!

C25k Started on July 11, 2010

• gmadenise Legend 202 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    2,062. Aug 14, 2010 10:29 PM (in response to EasternStarGeek)

EasternStarGeek, you've come to the right place; go back through some of the posts and look especially for a post that AFatManRunning did that gives information on how to get started. Believe me, if I can do this, anyone can. In January just before my 50th birthday, I weighed 252 pounds, and I'm a 5'3" woman. Walking more than a couple of blocks was a serious workout at that point. I started just walking every day, then in March I started the C25K plan--slowly, very slowly. I extended the first couple of weeks of the plan by at least a couple of days each week, then I got scared by how high my heart rate went when I was running and backed off but didn't stop running entirely. Went back to the C25K plan later because I was not making any progress--I needed the structure of a plan to push me. I finished the C25K plan a couple of weeks ago and can run 30+ minutes without stopping now. Oh, and I've dropped down to 202, not JUST because of the running but it has definitely helped. Hope that gives you some hope; others here can tell you their stories. It is possible to do it at your age and at your weight, but you have to take it slow and be smart about it.

Just got back from a short 20 minute run, another 'test run' of my Nike Free Run+ shoes. I did 1.52 miles and average speed was 13'24"--again, one of my faster times. So far, I'm really liking these and haven't had any problems; we'll see how my feet and calves feel tomorrow! Hubby and I happened to be downtown Seattle today and paid a visit to REI, so I got a chance to try on some Vibram Five Fingers; took forever to figure out how to get my toes to go where they belong, LOL! Pretty comfy, though. I even tried them on their 'hiking trail' to see how they felt on a rocky path--not bad at all. Now I know what size I need if I decide to go that route. Yes, Wideguy, you almost have me converted at least that far; just can't quite bring myself to go completely barefoot in the areas I have to run, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nike+: deniseg3 / dailymile / runkeeper / http://fitfocusedblessed.com

January 2010: 252 lbs.

Started C25K March 2010 @ 235 lbs.

First half marathon June 2011 @ 170 lbs.

First Ragnar Relay July 2012 @ 145 lbs.

• knockoutmouse Amateur 9 posts since
    May 21, 2010
    2,063. Aug 14, 2010 11:16 PM (in response to Donna914)

Thanks Donna.  Yeah, 3.1 miles is 5k no matter where/when I run it.  It would have been nice to have an "official" time, but not nice enough for me to fork over the registration money.  LOL!  After I'm back to work and have positive cash flow, I'll be happy to pay registration fees.

C25K Graduate July 31, 2010

Goal weight 125ish

Started walking regularly October 24, 2009 - Weight 260

Started spin classes May 11, 2010 - Weight 247

Completed C25K July 31, 2010 - Weight 237

May 21, 2010
    2,064. Aug 14, 2010 11:50 PM (in response to rbonis)

rbonis,  I took the slow approach to this thing and last October, I just started walking 3-4 days per week around my neighborhood.  I also did a bit of weight lifting 3 days per week.  At first, I was doing good to walk a mile (I live on a hillside, so I have some nice elevation changes), but I kept pushing and evenutally got to where I could walk a 7 mile loop.  Then, I started getting on the recumbent bike, which worked different parts of my legs than the walking.  Then I added in the StairMaster.  In May, I started going to spin classes and shortly thereafter I thought that I had developed my leg muscles enough to begin the C25K, which I recently completed.  I still cross train, on days I don't run I am in spin class and I still do a lot of walking and some strength training.

I'm no expert.  But, it just seemed like it wouldn't be wise for me at my weight to not begin my exercise routine with the C25K program.  Despite the name, I'm pretty sure I would have failed and would have ended up right back on the couch.  It was tough to get through the program when I did finally decide I was ready.

Do what seems best for you and don't give up.

Best wishes!

Goal weight 125ish

• GunthorTM Pro 190 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    2,065. Aug 15, 2010 8:37 AM (in response to Wideguy)

EasternStarGeek now is the time to start, if you continue to do what you are doing you will have the same results.  There are no quick or easy fixes, we didn't get in this position overnight and it will take time to get to the level of health you need and want to get.  Three years ago I was over 325, I think, I stopped weighing myself because I was so disgusted with having put on so much weight.  Did I start a weight loss or diet program then no, I did start watching what I ate and cut out regular soda and slowly my weight has come down.  In June I started riding my bike regularly because I knew that I would and could not walk or run for any time or distance, and yesterday I went over 500 miles for the year.  Even with having had almost 450 miles of biking the first day I did the C25K my lower quads killed me for three days after, but the next workout felt better and so did the next, today I did W2D1 and instead of jogging for 90 seconds then walking for 2 minutes, I jogged for 90 seconds and walked for 90 seconds and at the 23 minute mark I jogged for 2 minutes and I still weigh over 280.  I know I have to study my diet and figure out why I am not seeing the weight loss that I want to see,  But I know that today is the continuation of a long journey and I need to take it 1 day at a time.  I hope you find what motivates you.

I did find out that I was running .30 of a mile farther than I had thought doing my loop in under 27 minutes today with a pace of 15 min/mile, my son is looking to run a 5K in under 18 minutes, if we raced he would have to give me a 20 minute lead and he still may catch me

Not all who wander are lost.

Puckerface 5K 9/11/10 44:27

Haunted Hustle Trail 5K 10/24/10 49:06

Portage Y 10th Annual Turkey Trot 11/25/10 41:27

Foot Pursuit 5K Trail Run 3/5/11 55:41 (Hilly & Muddy)

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon 5/7/2011 3:27:07

Nativity Fest 5K 6/26/11 43:34- 3rd Place Clysdales

Red Dawn 5K Cross Country race 45:46 DLF

Rotatary Ramble 8/13/11 45:06

Puckerface 5K 9/10/11 42:59

• Trishinator Legend 234 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    2,066. Aug 15, 2010 8:37 AM (in response to knockoutmouse)

Well, I can't find the original post I made about the difference between running and jogging without taking more time than I am interested in, so here's a link to the page that it originally came from.

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/health/difference-between-jogging-and-running/

C25K Graduate - 5/22/10, Started over 1/3/12

One Hour Runner Graduate - 7/30/10

Nike + id: tjkness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26/10 - 5K at the Lake Tahoe Marathon - 47:47

• Trishinator Legend 234 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    2,067. Aug 15, 2010 8:54 AM (in response to Trishinator)

I was much too tired when I got home last night to post about yesterday's run, so I'll play catch up.

Did a 1.75 mile training run with my friend on the bike/running trail near her house.  It was interesting - she was pushing a 3 year old in a jogging stroller, which definitely impacted her pace.  I kept myself to her pace - I think it's actually a lot harder to force yourself to run much slower than your normal pace.  We did the 1.75 miles in 32 minutes, which was an 18:21 pace - since I am used to something closer to a 15:00 pace, it felt pretty slow.  I took a turn of about .25 miles with the stroller and realized how much harder it is to run when you're pushing 50lbs or so extra in front of you.  Followed up our run with a cooldown walk back (had to get home somehow!), so did a total of right about 5k.

After the run, I headed off to meet friends at Tahoe for the afternoon - supposedly for some light hiking and offroading.  Well, light hiking described it pretty well - I think we might have hiked .5 miles the whole day but hiking at 7000+ feet above sea level is really hard work.  We did, however, cover close to 60 miles of dirt roads over the 4 or so hours we spent out there.  This was my first time for being the driver while offroading - I'd say I got a pretty substantial arm and shoulder workout from it and thoroughly inaugurated my new AWD vehicle in going offroad.  I'm also the most relaxed that I have been in months after a completely beautiful day.

Training plan for today calls for a 30-60 minute walk, so I'll head out for that at some point.

Here's a sample of yesterday's scenery that made it such a beautiful day.  This is right on the edge of the Mokelumne Wilderness about 15 miles from Tahoe and is somewhere around 8000ft in elevation.

DSCN0231.JPG

C25K Graduate - 5/22/10, Started over 1/3/12

One Hour Runner Graduate - 7/30/10

Nike + id: tjkness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26/10 - 5K at the Lake Tahoe Marathon - 47:47

May 21, 2010
    2,068. Aug 15, 2010 9:48 AM (in response to knockoutmouse)

My unofficial time for 5k this morning was 42min 8sec.  Yay!  It was a foggy and cool morning, which is my favorite kind of weather.  I did some intervals after my run, 30sec sprint/90sec walk and then just walking to finish out the 5 mile loop.

Have a great day!

Goal weight 125ish

• WIguy Pro 136 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    2,069. Aug 15, 2010 9:53 AM (in response to Wideguy)

I had a fun and productive week running.  Total distance was 29.8 miles.  Set a 5K PR on Tuesday (30:39).  Ran my best 5+ mile pace yesterday (10:59).  This morning the weather was beautiful...sunny, cool, windy and not so humid.  Great conditions for a long run.  I managed to run for 10.55 miles in 2:03:30 (11:42 pace).  I picked up a Timex Ironman watch off of Amazon this week which can record up to 30 laps.  No more memorizing a bunch of elapsed times while running, yay!

C25K - graduated 7/9/10

---

Justiceworks' JustRun 5K - 9/4/10: 24:52

American Cancer Society Walk/Run 5K - 9/19/10: 24:20

Lettie's River Run 5K - 10/9/10: 24:59

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...