Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1890530 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 ... 756 Previous Next
  • kellyg123 Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009

My goal is to run a 5k by the end of this year.  I have a few races picked out and depending on how far along I am, I will pick a date by the middle of next month.

Couch to 5k Started on 8/17/10

• diftbs Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,101. Aug 16, 2010 11:07 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hello All,

I just completed w2w1 of the c25k program. I have always wanted to run a 5k and for years have been finding excuses not to. I started off at my heaviest at 350lbs and have gotten down to 281 by walking. Two weeks ago I finally took the plung and walked the McKinney Historical 5k in McKinney Tx. My goal was to complete it in less than an hour and I finished in 47:48. I walked about 98% of it and ran a little to see how it felt. I knew I wasn't ready for the running. I made a goal to run the Arbor Day 5k in Plano Tx on Nov 6th. I've signed up and am now in week 2. So far so good. I think I will use the podcasts also because I focus on the clock. For now I am doing all my work on a treadmill. I think I will incorpoate a road workout with treadmill work to try and even things out. Thanks for the thread and I look forward to being an active member.

Rick

Started C25K 8/9/10

McKinney Historical Run 8/7/10 47:48

Goal: Run Forrest Run

• Babsalotta Amateur 32 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010
    2,102. Aug 16, 2010 11:22 AM (in response to revgum)

Revgum and all:  Thanks for the kind words about graduating c25k.  I appreciate it.  Yippee...happy dance inserted here.  All the information and cheering contained in this thread is so valuable, you have no idea.

When I completed my last training session, I sort of came out of the runners closet and posted my picture.  My graduation reward to declare I am a runner...and, well, doing that gave me the green light to sit in front of the computer just a little longer than usual and the rest was well deserved. 

But rest time is over, what am I going to do now?  I was looking at the Hal Hidgon 10k Novice Program.  I have a question for WIguy and anyone else who moved on to that program from C25k.  Is it something you started immediately upon completing C25k or did you let C25K marinate a while?  I like the idea of having a program to follow because left to my own devises I'll back slide into bad habits and I don't want to revisit Couchland.  But, I don't want to do too much too soon and burn out.

Your input is always welcome.

C25k (the first time around), May 2010 to graduation in August 2010

C25k (the second time around), June 6, 2011

• WIguy Pro 136 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    2,103. Aug 16, 2010 12:01 PM (in response to Babsalotta)

Babsalotta wrote:

But rest time is over, what am I going to do now?  I was looking at the Hal Hidgon 10k Novice Program.  I have a question for WIguy and anyone else who moved on to that program from C25k.  Is it something you started immediately upon completing C25k or did you let C25K marinate a while?  I like the idea of having a program to follow because left to my own devises I'll back slide into bad habits and I don't want to revisit Couchland.  But, I don't want to do too much too soon and burn out.

Your input is always welcome.

I started a Hal Higdon program as soon as C25K finished because I do better with a schedule and clear goals.  The Hal Higdon 10K program starts about where C25K left off so you should do fine.  If you are worried that the 10K program might be too much too soon customize it to make it work for you.  For example you may want to substitute time limits for distance.  C25K had that option and used a multiplier of 10 for a target time instead of distance (30 minutes instead of 3 miles, for example).  You could do that for the 10K plan.  No need to stick with a multiplier of 10 converting target miles to target minutes, either.  You may want something like 15 (4 mile long run x 15 = 60 minute long run instead).

C25K - graduated 7/9/10

---

Justiceworks' JustRun 5K - 9/4/10: 24:52

American Cancer Society Walk/Run 5K - 9/19/10: 24:20

Lettie's River Run 5K - 10/9/10: 24:59

• AnneNonymous Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Hi kelly. I'm having to restart tomorrow morning (tried last week, but had a slight injury problem) , so yep count me in on your unofficial support group!  Just as way of introduction, my name's Darragh, and I'm a 300lb guy from Dublin, Ireland.  Nice to run with ya!

• kellyg123 Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009

Hello Darragh!  Nice to meet you too and I look forward to running with you as well!

Couch to 5k Started on 8/17/10

• freespirit123 Expert 47 posts since
    Aug 15, 2010

I just signed up for my first 5K ever...I am terrified and excited.  The run is not until December 5th but that is good because I have my work cut out for me...slow and steady!

C25K start date: 8/16/2010

Penguin Run/Walk/Waddle : 10/16/2010

5K Mitten Run : 12/05/2010

• Mary26833 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 13, 2010

Hi all!! I posted for the first time last week and have been keeping up with all of your posts over the past several days...They are all so inspring to me!!!  I am 45 and I weigh 327lbs (lost 33 since June 5th) Still can't believe I am RUNNING!!! I was stuck at W3 for 3 weks...those 5 minute runs overwhelmed me!! I couldn't find my post or the response, so I decided to just post a new one...I did W4D1 today and finished!!! 

All of your updates really helped me to conquer this fear!! I am xtill pretty slow, but I am so encouraged with my progress...Hope all the people just starting keep checking in on this site...It really does help!

Have a great night! 

• diftbs Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010

I know how you feel FreeSpirit I was terrified that I would not finish in the designated time of 1 hour for my race. You have plenty of time to train so you should be fine. I on the other hand had not ran much prior to the race but I just wanted to get a time to work to beat.

Rick

Started C25K 8/9/10

McKinney Historical Run 8/7/10 47:48

Goal: Run Forrest Run

• wesyoung91 Pro 65 posts since
    Apr 21, 2010
    2,110. Aug 16, 2010 8:27 PM (in response to WIguy)

I finished up W1 tonight. I put off running this morning and almost put it off again tonight.... I am SO glad I didn't though. I had an alright run. I still can't wear my vibrams due to the blister I received... I need to get me some toe socks to mitigate the blistering. I can definitely tell the difference between those and "running" shoes. halfway through the run my shins were burning. I finished every interval though and even pushed hard the last 45 seconds.

This was my first time running this route. I live in the country so everyone has big, loud dogs. I think the dark + big, loud dogs made me run a little faster tonight. :-) It was a good pace. It pushed me, but was not too much.

I am ready for W2!

Tonights run: http://runkeeper.com/user/wesyoung91/activity/14732732

I didn't do the cooldown run because my last run ended right in front of the house.

Have a great night,

-Wes

St Jude Music Row Road Race 5K - April 9th - 41:50

Cinco in the Gulch 5k - May 7th - 40:17

10th Annual 5K Run for Family & Fatherhood - June 18th

Nashville 1/2 Marathon Presented by Hard Rock Cafe - November 12th

• kbupton Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 10, 2010
    2,111. Aug 16, 2010 8:39 PM (in response to Wideguy)

What an awesome day.  I woke up this morning to go for a mile jog before work.  The heat finally left us and it was beautiful out, sunny 72 with a light breeze.  Jogged the mile in 10:50.  Then went with my wife to the park after dinner for another jog.  I was suppose to start week 5 day 1, but decided to skip ahead to day 3, just to see if I could do it.  Sure glad I did, talk about a mental high after I was finished.

Looking forward to my first 5K on Labor day.  I hope everyones day was as great as mine.

WEEK 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

DAY    1           2           3

"The only place sucess comes before work is in the dictionary"  Vince Lombardi.

• MarieVermont Pro 81 posts since
    Apr 29, 2009
    2,113. Aug 17, 2010 3:35 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi all.

Yep...still kickin'

I have been "resting" for just shy of one week now.

I set out on my usual route thi sam, but endedup walking out and running back. (back was .63 miles and it took me 8 minutes)

Shin.

Always the freaking shin.

This is caused by the constant misalignment of my hips.

I quit a couple of times in my mind this am, quit running altogether.  Obviously quitting isn't an option for me. I guess I'll keep gunning for the small victories ....and hope that when i start Physical Therapy with the Pilates machine in October, things will improve for me.

The not quite defeated....Marie

• BigBonedLawyer Legend 305 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    2,114. Aug 17, 2010 4:13 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Made the mistake of trying to do W1D2 with no rest day in between.  Not my best idea but I can't run tomorrow or Thursday.  For some reason today hurt in my lower back and yesterday didn't.  Might be lack of water.  Got distracted and forgot to drink before the run.  I survived though so I can have 2 days before running Friday.

Nike+ - BBL17

Tracking my progress - http://bigbonedlawyer.blogspot.com/

2010 Cobb Make A Wish http://cobbcounty.org/makeawish5k/ - 30:03 111/252 no walking

2010 Run for Justice http://www.rungeorgia.com/runforjustice.html - 28:10 no walking 105/343

2010 Sleighbells on the Square http://www.cobbcountybar.org/pdfs/Sleighbells%202010%20flyer.pdf  - 27:26 no walking 120/5xx

2011 Big Peach 5k http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/ 33:00 after 4 months no running.  Walked about .5 miles total.

2011 Peachtree Roadrace  - http://www.peachtreeroadrace.org/ 1:11:00 on 3 weeks of training.  Finished in the top half overall.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...