Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2182111 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 350 351 352 353 354 ... 760 Previous Next
  • ktface17 Pro 125 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    5,265. Dec 20, 2010 7:46 AM (in response to NCHulk)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Thanks for the support!  My back is pretty far gone...it's actually my hips.  I went to the chiropractor this morning - walked in leaned over with a zombie-like gate.  The doctor asked if I was ready - i said since Saturday. He immediatly told me that I was walking very crooked. (uh...yeah...)  and worked on me.  I didn't have to wait in the waiting room at all!  The adjustment felt better as I left but I'm really sore now that I'm all tensed back up again.  I go back tomorrow.  He wants to have me in better shape by Christmas.  I'm not really sure how long I should wait to start running again.  Maybe I'll ask him tomorrow since he is the athletic type....but mostly I assume I just need to listen to my body.  Serious back problems run in my family anyway - more reason why I want to be here exercising and dropping a few pounds with you folks.  I do NOT want the back problems of my father/aunts/uncles!  I blame these problems on pregnancy, though.  Haven't been the same since!   I guess having an almost 9 lb baby sitting on you innards can mess you up a bit. lol  Maybe if I have another one, it'll lay opposite and fix me???

Happy running to you all!!  Run a mile or 2 for me today - I'll live vicariously thru you!

Katie

10/4/2010 - Began C25K...

Graduate of C25K 2/2/2011!!!!!

First 5k - May 8, 2011 WBW Mother's Day 5k COMPLETE 45:56

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5,266. Dec 20, 2010 11:12 AM (in response to Trishinator)

WOW, after 6 weeks you did you Good!! 

• revgum Legend 353 posts since
    May 14, 2010
    5,267. Dec 20, 2010 11:31 AM (in response to Trishinator)

@trish : good to hear from you, and well done hitting the road this morning! Yup, some fun soreness in store tomorrow but that's a good thing huh.

@WG : Mr. WG, how are you doing sir?

@katie : eww back problems.. I'm hoping for a quick rebound for you! Once your chiro can get your alignment stable, you should be back into running in no time. Ask him about stretches and also strengthening exercises to keep your hips in line. (I had a similar situation, except for the birthing a child aspect)

@alynm78 : Welcome to the thread! Especially with your pelvic and hip situation, I'd be extra sure to start very slow and easy. Definitely consult your doctor first too, just to be sure.. although your doctors opinion isn't necessarily gospel. (some doctors are overly conservative) The body takes awhile (several weeks at least and continually no doubt) for your bones, joints, muscles to get stronger to endure the exertion you'll be putting on them. Pay close attention to how your body is landing, you really can run "lightly". If you are hearing a sort of slapping "thud" sound then you need to adjust your running posture. This link has material I collected early on in the C25K program and it made a big difference for me.. maybe it will help you as well.

@heavystride : Congratulations on your finish, in sin city no less!! Also congrats on the portion control at the buffets.. I know exactly what you mean, was just there a few weeks ago and exercised some portion control at the Luxor buffet (not a bad buffet, btw). Keep up the good work making healthy choices and you'll kiss the 300's good bye for good!!

----------------

Got a good deal on a treadmill at Dick's a few days ago.. but in parallel found myself infected with some sort of virus. Throat is sore, nose burning, most of my body is aching as well. Way to start off a 2 week vacation. Here's to hoping I kick this bug in the next day or two and start logging some mileage..

Any ideas for a good name for her? Something that might make babies cry.. or old folks grab thier foreheads and gasp for a breath..

IMG_20101219_150217.jpg

revgum @ RunKeeper / Facebook / Blog

325lb @ 2/1/2010 to 211lb @ 7/4/2011

Race History

• heartoftxlady Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 20, 2010
    5,268. Dec 20, 2010 1:06 PM (in response to Wideguy)

I am a 53 year old female, who is obese and wants to get healthy and in shape.  I have many health issues...but believe if I were healthy and fit these might go away, or at least become manageable.  I have been inactive for so long, that just thinking about a 5k scares me witless!  I mean people talk about finishing....I guess my goal is not to die!!  I don't even know where to begin.  Help, please!

Thanks!

• NCHulk Legend 247 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    5,269. Dec 20, 2010 1:29 PM (in response to revgum)

Traininghard - Good Job!

Much2lose - Making the commitment is the first step.  Just go slow and listen to your body. Remember you can do days or weeks of the C25K more than once till you feel comfortable to go on.

Trish - WOW! 6 weeks off and you picked it right back up. Good for you.

KT - Many years ago I had a slipped disk.  Through physical therapy and strengthening I am pain free.  Ask your Chiro for some exercises for strengthening your lower back and hips.

Heavystride - WILLPOWER!!!

Rev - I'm thinking of a name with a GIJoe feel. Something like "Blaster"   Body Blaster; Mile Blaster; Weight Blaster...

Yesterday was supposed to be my 4 mile run on Higdons plan.  I unfortunately went to a christmas party instead.  (I'm going to change my long run day to Saturday or Monday.)  So today my Army son wants to go to the pool with me.  He's going to show dad how to swim laps.  Long story short - He can swim a lap in half the time I can.  But, I swim 60 laps now.  After 10 laps he couldn't keep up anymore.  So we did our laps and then went to the gym where I got ready for my 4 miles on the treadmill.  I ended up taking 3 walk breaks, 90 seconds each.  But I completed 4 miles of actual running by substracting my walks.  I think I overdid it at the pool first and was running out of gas for the run.  So i am going to switch it up for the rest of the week and see what happens.  Overall I'm happy with it.  To think it wasn't that long ago I thought I was going to die at the end of running for a full minute.

Happy Running!

Arthur

"It does not get easier... you get stronger"

"Once I decided quitting wasn't an option, the rest was easy." - Michele

HARD WORK - DEDICATION!!!

Dec 14, 2007
    5,270. Dec 20, 2010 4:00 PM (in response to revgum)

Great Treadmill,I know when I go outside I know where I'm going but If I stay inside on my tread I won't stay on very long.

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    5,271. Dec 20, 2010 4:56 PM (in response to flamomof3)

Week 8 is in the books.  On to week 9, but since I've been running 30+ each week 8 run, week 9 should be no problem, right?  Well I'm not going to get cocky.  I know if I do I could very well end up injured.  But if all goes well, I'll be graduating on the 26th.

This week I'm starting the every other day run instead of 3 times a week.  Hope I'm up to that.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

Oct 26, 2010
    5,272. Dec 20, 2010 6:10 PM (in response to heartoftxlady)

There are alot of us here that used to be in the exact same boat. So number 1. You are not alone.  The only advice I can give you is what worked for me.  I was changing doctors at the time.  She went into her "You have to lose weight speech". I was at 284.  I explained to her that I was going to start the C25K that my wife had done.  She thought it was a good idea and told me to go slow. So number 2. Go slow and listen to your body.  I found an area that had been marked on the road for the electric company.  Every 500 feet. My plan was to walk 500, run 500.  After three days I couldn't move.  I called the doctor and she told me to stop running and when the pain was better to walk.  So I walked. I measured out a mile.  Then it was three times a day. Then it was two miles three times a day.  Then three miles three times a day.  Then I threw in some bike riding at the gym.  Then some swimming.  I lost 50 pounds before I tried to run again.  And this time I didn't die.

You can do it.  Just remember that it isn't going to be fast.  You will feel like you are crazy to attempt it. You will feel like quitting sometimes, but there are alot of success stories and great people on here to lean on and we will be your biggest cheerleaders.  The decision is the hardest part.

Happy Running!

Arthur

• bringingsexythefirsttime Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 20, 2010
    5,273. Dec 20, 2010 7:27 PM (in response to Wideguy)

hi all!

I don't exactly fit the criteria of 200+, but it wasnt long ago at all that I did.  I have recently lost about 60 lbs, and I have gotten to the point where I am no longer satisfied with the weight loss alone without the toning that needs to take place with me letting myself get to the point that I did before deciding to make a change.

I am a 28 year old mother of 2 little boys, ages 3 and 1.  I live in South Louisiana and have been married for 7 years.  I have been miserable with my husband, and we have seperated in teh past month.  we are now living in seperate households, and while we have not declared that we are getting a divorce, I have decided that I wont go the rest of my life meerly functioning and getting by rather than living and enjoying life.  both my parents were ridden with a mirad of health issues.  my mother had a very rare form of cancer, and several heart problems, as well as astham.  my father was what my cardiologist refered to as a "vascularpath", meaning that everything vascular was bad.  he had many heart attacks, vein transplants and grafts, as well as severe severe diabetes.  my father passed away before his 60th birthday in 2006, my mother passed away shortly after her 54th birthday 2 years later.  theres nothing to say that, due to my bad breeding, my life wont be a short one, so I intend to enjoy what little I have, and show my boys how to love life, and not sell yourself short just for the sake of getting by.  I am also a full time student at Louisiana State University, seeking a degree in Radiologic Technology, and hope to specialize in either CT imaging or Nuclear Medicine.

in February of last year, I topped the scales at 235 lb, at a little under 5 foot 5, thats unacceptable.  this morning, I weighed 169.8.  TODAY is the day that I started running, and started keeping a log of my weight, and measurements.  I would absolutely love to meet some people and make some friends with simmilar interests or situations, as I have been feeling really alone lately, and could use support wherever I can find it.  I suppose it is because of the deep and sudden loss I have experienced all my life, but I develop fast and loyal attachments to people fast, and would love to help anyone in any way I can, though, I wont be of much assistance in teh running department, as I just started today!  I am one of those 100% people, though-so I will be educating myself on it every way I can, and looking into each and every detail till Im a pro.

• musicteacher29 Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 3, 2010

Sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time....I know what divorce is like- but putting some focus on yourself is a good thing.  Congratulations on the weight loss and working on a degree!  Keep up the good work!  Running should be much easier since your weight loss- how did you lose it?

and..you aren't alone you have children

______________________________________________-

So this week, and last, have been tough to get a long workout in.  Winter concert time is upon me (BAH HUMBUG!)  I have been logging in my miles on the treadmill for quite sometime and added in spin class when I can stay at the gym for awhile.  I tried to get in 5miles today in sticking with Hal's half training, but didn't have enough time and only managed 3.89 before I had to go.  I just know I have to do something more to get the weight moving off me- I swear I feel bionic or something...like how much can this girl put her body through and it just keeps adjusting!!!! For the love of GOD- let the FAT GO I say...   After x-mas I am going to seriously focus, not that I have been eating cheesecakes or anything, but when my life gets hectic I wind up eating later than I would like to (sure that doesn't help).  I am going to try cutting sugar out...eating low sugar.  That's probably the one diet I haven't tried- so why the HELL not?  okay that's my rant...

Rochambeau Ramble 5K- 10/16- 34:52

Love Your Body 5K- 10/23- 33:04

5 MILE Kent Pumpkin Run  - 10/31- 53:47

5 Mile (4.75) EBAC Fall Challenge- 11/13- 50:12

Hot Coco 5K 11/20-  32:28

Sweetheart Run 5mile- 2/12/2011- (INJURED)

Freihofer's Run for Women- 6/4/2011-

Dec 14, 2007
    5,275. Dec 21, 2010 8:11 AM (in response to heartoftxlady)

If you follow the c25k and repeat days or weeks if you need to and before you know you will have graduated. Take your time, don't rush and most of all have fun!

Dec 14, 2007
    5,276. Dec 21, 2010 9:43 AM (in response to gdsmit1)

I decided to run in my subdivision this afternoon and ran 3 miles. I'm gonna do it again this evening but run only 2

Oct 26, 2010
    5,277. Dec 21, 2010 10:51 AM (in response to flamomof3)

GEEz! I was going to be lazy today.  OK, OK I'm going , I'm going!!!

Arthur

Dec 14, 2007
    5,278. Dec 21, 2010 10:53 AM (in response to NCHulk)

Alright Art...get going!

• Who922 Expert 58 posts since
    Nov 16, 2010
    5,279. Dec 21, 2010 3:20 PM (in response to Wideguy)

So, I ran my first 5K in Dallas on Saturday!!!  I made it all the way without stopping!  I talked my brother into running with me.  He had only been running on the treadmill.  He beat me pretty easy, but the aftermath was sore for him.  I ran it in 42:30, so I am coming along with the time.  The las gradual hill over the bridge was tough.  It was also the first time I had run in humidity in a long time.  I came in 4th in my weight division (240 and up).  Third would have got me a trophy.  Although I'm relatively sure that I was the only one running at over 280 pounds!   It was a lot of fun!  I'm looking for my next race a little closer to home.  Thanks for all the help from the people here!  It is really nice to have people who have been there before and are here now as well.

Attachments:

Started October 2010
    I've finished C25K in 6 1/2 weeks!!! Starting weight 345 5/20/11 - 275 9-22-11 257
    Completed Events:
    12-4-10 Reindeer Run - 2 mile- Roswell, NM Time - 29:30
    12:-18-10 Jog'r Egg Nog'r- 5K - Dallas, TX - 42:37
    2-26-11 Pecos Valley Stampede - 2 Mile - Roswell, NM - 25:20
    4-9-11 Ellen Reavis Race for Autism - 5K- Albuquerque, NM - 39:50
    5-21-11 Race For The Zoo - 5K - Roswell, NM - 37:50
    6-2-11 Roswell Alien Chase - 5K - Roswell, NM - 38:10
    9-5-11 Turtle Marathon and Labor Day 5K - Roswell, NM
    9-24-11 Cros stimbers Sprint Triathlon - Stephenville, TX
    11-5-11 Pecos Valley Roundup 5K - Roswell, NM
    11-24-11 Thanksgiving Day Classic - Peoria, AZ
    12-3-11 Reindeer Run - Roswell, NM (1 Year Anniversary!!) -