Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2143293 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Romeo79 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 31, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Mar 21, 2010 12:06 AM (in response to Hrbib21)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club.... 3/1/2010 C25K thread

Hello to Every 200 plus lbs.                

I'm a 46 yrs old male.I started running/training about a year and a half ago.My beginning weight then was about 275 Not Good!

The church I attend goes on a twenty-one day Daniels Fast.(Basically no meats, no sweets,no bread for twenty-one days drinking

only 100 percent juice or water.)Anyway I lost 25lbs during that time.At the time I had been diagnosed with sleep-abnea and high-

blood pressure.Both of my Doctors told me If I lose the weight that would help or even elemenate both symptoms,but I was hard-

headed.Hey, lets face it, (Us) at this weight we either like to eat or we've got caught up into raising a family and or health has

gotten away from us.LETS NOT FEEL GUILTY,THEIR IS HOPE!After being told by my company Doctor LOSE THE WEIGHT

OR YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO DRIVING.By-the-way I drive for a living.If anybody is familiar with that life style,you know a real

DIET is hard to maintain.But I knew I had to make some real life-style changes,its not easy but It can be done,My workouts consist

of at least one long run a week,speed work on a local track twice a week,hitting the gym once or twice (light weight high reps only.

I take supplements,creatine,glutamine,L-arginine,protein drinks,chromium and plenty of water.I recommend plenty of rest if u can

that can be just as hard as working out at times.I also found out especially during the cold/rainy months,finding a gym that offers a SPIN

CLASS.WOW! that has worked wonders for me.Taking the spin classes has help me with sciatic problems,minor knee injuries,from

RUNNING.People! find it! try it! love it! You will see some of your minor running injuries go away.In fact you will build more stamina,im-

prove your breathing,and your speed.I ran my first 5k in 41minutes in Feb 14th 09.In one year I ran about 8 5ks improving my time down

to 30 minutes but could never break under 30 minutes no matter how much I trained.But after taking a spin classes about 3 times a week

with weight training, building core muscle,legs etc...I finally ran a 28 minute 5k in the cold! It felt GREAT!I hope this info helps somebody,

it can get expensive,but the way I view health now,You either gonna pay for it now or pay for it later,So lets us continue to lose the weight,

stay out of the doctors office,change or diets UHH! That hurts to type.I now weight 240lbs 6' 1" I want to get to 215lbs or less,there are

weeks that I struggle no lie,but I plan out the road races about 2 months in advance to stay motivated,also to allow my body to recover.

One more thing I don't hear to many of us doing,but I found local Massage Therapist who does it from her home(she married so am I:)

But she's great I go to her sometime before a race/training or after,most of time after.Lets face it,we are older it takes our bodies

longer to recover.Try to stick with the same one they know YOUR BODY it works. thanks bye bye.

• Roselark Amateur 15 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010
    61. Mar 21, 2010 6:12 AM (in response to TrinsPop)

TrinsPop, I am having the same problem with my pinkie toe. Friday morning, I jammed it into the babygate we use to block of the litter box from our puppy and it swelled to twice the size, turned lovely shades of purple and red and hurt like heck when I put any weight on it.

I have actually done stuff like this to my pinkie toes a LOT. (probably says a lot about my level of grace and agility huh?) Anyway, I was told that if you can move it, it is not broken. If you cannot move it, go to the Dr. It might be broken, or it could just be out of joint. Even if it is not broken, it will hurt like heck for a few days.

I did miss my C25K workout on Saturday (which seriously irritated me since I have not missed any so far), This morning (Sunday), the swelling is way down and the color is starting to fade. It does not hurt as bad, but I am not quite up to running yet. I am going to take a long, slow walk today, do my normally scheduled Curves workout tomorrow and continue with the C25K on Tuesday.

Good luck with the toe! I hope it is not broken. If it is, do not hesitate to go to the dr. There is not much they can do with a typical broken pinkie toe, but they can make sure it is in place and able to heal. The last thing you want to do is allow it to get worse.

• Bluzepher Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 10, 2010
    62. Mar 21, 2010 8:45 AM (in response to Wideguy)

http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

here is one link to podcasts.

I really dislike running,  however a friend of mine lost his leg when he stepped on an IED in Iraq.  His goal is to run a 5k in Aug, the one year anniversary of his accident.  I would like love to run with him.  I am starting at 200#, 5' 5".  just the thought of running makes me hurt.  But I really want to do this with him.  I will download some music and get started.  Hope to Run with Mike in Aug.

• Blindrunner Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    63. Mar 21, 2010 9:15 AM (in response to kwmb)

You're gonna think I'm stalking you, kwmb, coz here's that damn blind girl again lol I just wanted to tell you that I had started walking 3 days a week before I looked at this program, but that honestly, it didn't help much. Running is just different, I think. And if you want to talk about a crawl, darling-hubby who is my pilot could walk as fast as I jog. I don't care. We don't look ridiculous, we look like we mean it. Nothing ridiculous about that at all!

By way of introduction, I'm over 200 pounds, but I don't own a scale because scales make me crazy I'm working on my relationship with food, but in the meantime, I'm legally blind and I want to run. I know, it sounds crazy, but I do. Wideguy, I've been so excited about your info on barefooting because I think it could really help me get more information about the surface under me. I don't like big shoes and I fall more when I wear trainers, simply because I can't see what's under my feet. I'm running in the city, so I need something to keep my feet safe, but I've been really looking at the Vibram shoes. I'm not running to lose weight, I'm running to be strong and fit and fast. I'm a type 2 diabetic, and I'd love to get off insulin if I can. Thanks for starting the thread, Wideguy, and good to meet you all.

Feets don't fail me now!

• reaves19 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    64. Mar 22, 2010 7:12 AM (in response to Blindrunner)

Hey Wideguy! Where are you? Guess I've been kinda MIA because I was out of town sunnin' by the beach and we actually didn't touch a computer since early last week. Kinda nice. I did manage to get a brutal workout in the sudden wind storm that hit WOW. That was insane I hurt for two days.

Hope everyone is doing well. Starting W3D1 today. Hope I don't fall off the threadmill!

• danalynn45 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    65. Mar 22, 2010 11:49 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Update!!

I'm now working out 6 days a week.  I just did W3D1 yesterday afternoon and it was great.  I've slowed down my run speed a bit because I was having trouble breathing, and now it's just fun to run!  Weighed in this morning at 231 lbs (-9 lbs this year...I had a hard February...and -29 lbs total)

Here's what I'm doing as far as my workouts, it's basically C25K plus the strength/cross-training schedule from week 1 & 2 of Hal Higdon's 8K program.  I figure maybe this will be helpful to someone...I'm actually enjoying working out for the first time!

Sunday:  C25K Week # Day 1

Monday:  Strength

Tuesday:  C25K Week # Day 2

Wednesday:  1/2 hr cross-training (I'm cycling)

Thursday:  C25K Week # Day 3 & Strength

Friday:  Rest

Saturday:  1/2 hr cross-training

Hope everyone else is doing great

• TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    67. Mar 22, 2010 1:28 PM (in response to Roselark)

Roselark,

Sounds alot like we might be related!! I have broken a big toe & alot of other stuff over the years but never a little toe. However, the swelling & color were much improved by Sunday eve so I tried to repeat W4D3 workout. Did okay except for the last 4 minutes of the 2nd 5 minute run. Foot felt like someone was sticking a nail thru it. So, i finished up at a brisk walk pace. Better than not finishing at all I guess. I don't know if it will be up to moving on to W5D1 on Tuesday on not. We'll see. Be Well...TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• reaves19 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    68. Mar 22, 2010 1:47 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hey Wideguy! We'll let you slide since the weather has pretty much been awful everywhere. Ugh it's just been like hurricane windy and biting cold here. It's Texas it is NEVER this cold this late in year.

It's a good thing you got on bike because it's better than not doing anything.

and if we had an excuse contest I'm sure we could all be right up there with you on that's a good one...

Mar 19, 2010
    70. Mar 22, 2010 1:57 PM (in response to Wideguy)

I'm going to do w1 again. I'm working hard at not being frustrated by this, but I'm honestly just not able to run 90 seconds yet. I'm still struggling with 60. It's just the way it is, right? My feets are not quite keeping up to my wants. No stopping me, though. I can do this, and so can you.

In my experience, the best way to combat excuses is to have a routine. I'm a writer, but I didn't get serious about it until I said to myself 'it doesn't matter if I want to do this. It's time to work'. I'm trying the same thing out on my exercise. It's hard with the weather not cooperating with you, I'm sure, but yworking out on the bike is working towards your goals, yes? Give yourself credit for what you DO, too. Maybe look at your life and schedule and see if there's a time slot where exercise will consistantly fit. I find it easier to maintain my writing schedule now that it's a habit. Probably works the same way with exercise. Okay, I'll stop babbling now. We can do this!

Feets don't fail me now!

• kwmb Expert 48 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    71. Mar 22, 2010 2:16 PM (in response to Blindrunner)

Blindrunner, you are SUCH an inspiration!!!!! I love how enthusiastic you are....THANK YOU!!

In response to your previous post- no NOT a stalker! LoL I love reading what you have to say.... =)

I struggled BIG TIME today, with the W2D1....the 90second intervals..OMG, it was flippin BRUTAL!!!! but alas, its done! and I seriously considered stopping in the middle of my first 90seconds and just wanted to sit on the grass and tell myself how pathetic I am..but I told myself NOPE, U CAN DO THIS!!!! and I did..lol

Keep it up everyone, one day at a time right!

Started C25K on March 15/2010

~kristen~

"If you always do what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got" ..so lets switch it up!

Mar 19, 2010
    73. Mar 22, 2010 2:43 PM (in response to kwmb)

Woohoo!! Kicking butt!! Forgive me, but I find the fact that you struggled with it...encouraging. lol I'm sure that sounds bizarre, but I'm a little bit afraid that I won't ever get to week 2. I don't honestly know what I'm capable of, physically, and really, doing this program is part of my way to find out. I really struggle with fatigue, both from my brain injury and from my epilepsy medications, and it has narrowed my life down rather a lot. The fact that you had to fight for this workout helps me believe that it's not out of reach for me. So, yeah. One day, one breath, one step at a time. You can be my role model for the day. hero cookies all round!

Feets don't fail me now!

• Dayzee Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    74. Mar 22, 2010 4:08 PM (in response to Wideguy)

So I hope this works! Today is my W1D1 with my hubby we both are over the 200# mark, but the major difference is he's 6'4 and I'm 5'3 on a good day. I came across this program and message board on my way home from vacation Saturday. This trip was my, "wow have you really let yourself go moment." Filled with frustration, anger, hurt, and embarassment I've decided to change it. I'm no longer going to be trapped in this body, I hope this doesn't sound like rambling. I guess I'm just so upset with myself because I never used to be like this I played sports I was active and was healthy I don't know where the change happened, but it did. Now that I have an 18 month old daughter and this December I will be turning 30 its just clicked that I don't want her to have the fat mommy and be embarassed of me or my husband when we drop or pick her up from school. I know that's a long way down the road, but I need and CAN change it now. My goal is to be a size 10 by Christmas, not going to do a weight goal because in high school no joke I was 200 pounds and only 19% body fat.....now I weigh WAY more than that and wear a 26/28. I can't believe I publicly announced that.....now I definitly need to do something about it! Now that I got my husband hooked on the idea we went out and bought shoes, MP3 players, jogging stoller, and a stopwatch. There's no turning back now because there was a lot of money invested in our future today! I must say I am excited!!! I will let you all know how it goes after our first workout this evening as a family. Wish us luck on this journey and I am so glad to have found more support for us fluffier people who want to do this! Is anyone on facebook?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 760 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...