Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7180 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2010 10:57 PM by P-Ro Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • DJBobbyO Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 16, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 19, 2010 7:05 AM (in response to murray64)
    Re: 300+lb Club...C25K started 3/1/2010

Where can I find that pod cast?

• murray64 Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    16. Mar 19, 2010 7:38 AM (in response to DJBobbyO)

If you go into Itunes, podcasts, and search podrunner intervals.  they have a couple look for teh 5k 10 week program.  I keep my jog "slog" speeds down to help build a base and have been working on increasing my speed...today I ran 2 miles at a 12:30 pace which I feel is pretty good for a big guy.  I hope to be down to at least a 12 min mile by my triatholon in June.  I have been reading and talking to alot of guys regarding interval training at harder levels to increase speed and cardiovascular endurance.  The other tool I found very valuable is my heart rate monitor and working to keep my heart rate below my max which at this time is around 167 bpm.  Good luck and keep at things.

• DJBobbyO Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 16, 2010
    18. Mar 19, 2010 10:24 AM (in response to murray64)

Thx murry!  Doing a Tri..thats great!  I'm also getting my mt. bike retooled to a hybrid so I can workout on the road as well.  Would love to try a duathlon! Not much of a swimmer, know how just not into it(as of now). First thing first, I'm aiming for the Livestrong challenge in August (in the Phila area).

Good luck again with your 5K this weekend! Of course, keep us posted!

Bobby

• P-Ro Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 16, 2009
    19. Jun 3, 2010 1:54 AM (in response to jkruer01)

Looks like there haven't been any postings in a while, so, I thought it would be a good reason to share my recent accomplishment.  May 8, 2010 was the annual One America 500 Festival Mini Marathon in Indianapolis, Indiana.  It is the largest half-marathon in the country with 35,000 participants.  The weather was severe overcast, with a temperature in the 40's and a constant 30mph crosswind.  This was the certainly the type of day that would be much better curled up in bed, but I had trained for 4 months and traveled 2,000 miles to run this race.  Started out slow, due to the incredible number of people,  it took almost 4 miles to get a clean running lane.  I finally hit my stride and was able to pick up some time.  Mile 6 through 8.5 were the best.  This part of the course actually took place on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!  The stadium blocked out the brutal wind gusts and made for smooth running.  Mile 9 through 11 were very painful.  Visualizing the finish line, I persevered through mile 12.  The wind kept blowing steadily and my hands were frozen solid, but the finish line was within reach.  Each step brought me closer to that elusive goal.  Finally, one last bridge and a chance to gather the rest of my energy reserves.  With the balloons flying high and the crowd cheering, I successfully crossed the finish line.  Final time 3:19:37.

Running my first half marathon was a very challenging experience, especially since I tip the scales at 318.  I can now say I have accomplished a major goal in life, and am now training for my second half.

• murray64 Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    20. Jun 3, 2010 4:37 AM (in response to P-Ro)

Hey Congrats on the Half.  I have my tri next Sunday the training has been good and it has kept me focused during my baseball season (I coach a HS JV team).  Depending on how this one goes for me I am planning on registering for another in July and possibly another in August.  I think that the Half would be something that I will look to complete next year something to focus on.

Once again congrats on your half and keep going from there.

John

Nov 16, 2009
    21. Aug 18, 2010 10:43 PM (in response to murray64)

John,

How did the tri go?  Hopefully your first one went well.  Did you race in a second one?

I'm currently training for my second half.  I plan on running in December.  I would like to do a sprint tri next year.

Patrick (P-Ro)

• froggiebear Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 29, 2010
    22. Aug 21, 2010 6:15 PM (in response to P-Ro)

Hey guys I just want to say thanks for the inspiration! I'm attempting to do this at just over 200 lbs and know how difficult it is for me, but if you guys can do it, then so can I.

NO FEAR!

Nov 16, 2009
    23. Nov 3, 2010 10:57 PM (in response to froggiebear)

Froggiebear, glad to provide inspiration.  This is a great way to learn and grow through shared experiences.  Any help we give each other really does help with the mental challenges that are inherent in distance running.  Reading some of these posts has been great for me as well.  I am re-dedicating myself to running and plan on dropping below 300 lbs. for the first time in over a decade.  It will take some hard work, but with the support of others, the journey is not so difficult.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...