Skip navigation

2068 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2010 1:10 PM by Joe_h1 RSS
konacj Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 3, 2010 8:43 AM

Ironman Training in 2 months?

Hello everyone,

im a seasoned triathlete and completed a mixture of 21 sprints and olympics last year so i am no stranger to the triathlon life... however, i was training for St. George Iron this may 1st and was injured back around christmas.  I am just finally fully recovering - is there anyway to become prepared for an Ironman that is just 2 months away.  I have been training, but very lightly due to the pain.  What kind of schedule would i need to create to achieve this goal?  I am willing to commit whatever is necessary - this is my first iron and dont want to drop out.

Thanks

cj

ps - i am attaching the training schedule that i HAD been following previous to my injury.  let me know what you think

Attachments:
  • Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 3, 2010 9:51 AM (in response to konacj)
    Re: Ironman Training in 2 months?

what is your long swim, bike and run at now?  just warning you - ramping up too quickly is an invitation to get injured again.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    4. Mar 3, 2010 1:06 PM (in response to konacj)

Can it be done?  Most likely.  Remember to take care of yourself as you proceed, and taper before the actual event.  Otherwise, go for it.  Don't try to win the race - you won't anyway - and just stay relaxed.  I hope somebody can come along and give you real answers, but I had a setback shortly before my first 70.3 that destroyed previous training and I was still able to get in at about 6:30.  At some point you just have to believe you can do it.  Not saying it'll be easy or that you'll feel good during the race, but you can finish.  Let us know how the training goes!  Good luck!

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Mar 3, 2010 1:10 PM (in response to konacj)

I am a ironvirgin, I am not a coach, doc or all that smart but if you increase the distance of your long run and ride by 10% by 4/18 your long ride will be 97 miles and long run will be 21.4 miles that leaves two weeks for a taper (probably should throw in a couple rest weeks in there as well). so on paper it sounds possible but it is going to hurt.  you have to listen to your body and be realistic and may have to walk the run.  Be warned this will not be easy to get you to the starting line much less the finish line.  don't want to a doom and gloom guy but this may not be your year.  ironman is a brutual event and hate for you show up unprepared. I've tried bluffing a half ironman before and paid dearly for it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone

might want to talk with whoever developed your original trainign plan and see if they can help you w/ your Plan B

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points