Skip navigation

4828 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2010 6:46 AM by active mommy RSS
active mommy Rookie 5 posts since
May 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 5, 2010 11:57 AM

Counting swim Laps - Finis Lap track vs. Sportcount lap counter

Hi everyone,

I have the fortunate opportunity to swim laps at the local high school 2 days a week in the winter... last summer was my first for triathlons and after completing 2 sprints, I'm hooked...  However, I find it very hard to keep track of my laps when in the pool...

I'm looking at the Finis Lap track that you suction cup to the side of the pool and just push it each time you tag the wall ($60) or the Sportcount Lap counter ($25) that you put on your finger and push with your thumb each time you complete a lap... reading the reviews, it seems there are pros and cons for both and I'm looking to the triathlon community and wondering what experiences others have had... or whether I should nix buying either one and just try to keep counting (I've even thought about buying a toy abacus to set at the edge of the pool)

Thanks for any input!!

• UrbanTrailRunner Pro 88 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010

Do they have something already at the pool you can use?

The pools I've been to have a sort of flip chart to flip over at the end of the lane.  Yeah, it'll take a few seconds though, so you might want to get one of those other items, although I've never heard of them.  Perhaps ask what they have there already for the HS swimmers to use...they must have something, maybe they could even turn on the timing system w/touch pads, assuming they have one?

• honguito Pro 135 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007

Definitely go for the Sportcount. I have been using it for years now and it works perfectly. Didn't even have to change a battery. It is so easy to take to any place, no set-up needed etc. I can highly recommend it.

Have fun

Gunter

www.triatlonca.org

• Billiken on the Run Pro 135 posts since
    Nov 28, 2007

I use the Sportcount counter and think it's great - small and easy to use.  I think I bought the $40 version (I'm sure I had some reason for doing so, just don't remember it).  If I had to come up with a con, it's that my goggles eventually get foggy which makes it difficult to read the counter (very minor complaint and probably a goggle problem, not Sportcount).  As a side note, I've also used it during a marathon since it keeps splits on up to 100 laps, 92 more than the watch I have.  You might want to take a look at the wall of the pool and make sure a suction cup would stick to it if you decide to go with the other item.

Joe

• LaurCar Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 26, 2009

my very low tech way of counting is to put 5 items on the deck (water bottle, 2 flip flops, pull bouy and kick board), and move them over as complete a lap (obviously I am not flip turning).  I can generally keep track of blocks of laps, a lot easier then individual laps.

I will look into the Sportcounter though, sounds cool.

• Floyd5k Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 6, 2009

I am math challenged. I wonder if counting laps or lengths is easier? I try to focus on my techniques but after a while in a 25 meter pool I lose count and penalize myself and start counting over again for my sets. My sets are currently 5 X 400's with a one to two minute rest and it bugs me to no end. Currently I am using the low cost method similar to one of the other recent posters by moving my flip-flops and other tools to one side for every 100M but this makes me stop momentarily and when you're sharing a lane it makes it difficult. I would be really interested to hear what your decision will be. I am leaning towards the Sportcount but wonder if the device on your finger is small enough not to impede on your stroke - or is it just a matter of getting used to.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points